Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are you single?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

djhunter30 wrote: »
    I better be careful of the next woman I'm with so, just incase!
    actually i'm going to Athlone on a hen night next weekend!
    be afarid, be very afraid! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭alias141282

I'm single basically because I suffer from depression and can't get my act together.

I know people on here are saying 'I'm happy being single' etc. Yeah ok, but who wouldn't want to be with someone they are really attracted to?There is no better feeling. I'm determined to get my head sorted out so I can be with someone long term.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I'm single basically because I suffer from depression and can't get my act together.

I know people on here are saying 'I'm happy being single' etc. Yeah ok, but who wouldn't want to be with someone they are really attracted to?There is no better feeling. I'm determined to get my head sorted out so I can be with someone long term.

And if he/she wants to be with you, they will make allowances for your depression.

It's all about projecting a positive vibe, even if your outlook is grim on any given day.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

I'm with you on that buddy. Its true, there is no better feeling than been with someone you're really attracted to. I think my main problem is that I find it hard to meet women due to living in a new town and not knowing too many people. I'm also admittedly quite picky too which doesnt help! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Undertow wrote: »
    I'm with you on that buddy. Its true, there is no better feeling than been with someone you're really attracted to. I think my main problem is that I find it hard to meet women due to living in a new town and not knowing too many people. I'm also admittedly quite picky too which doesnt help! :o

You see I'd take being in a new town as a big positive. I'm from a decent sized town, by Irish standards, and people find it hard to hook up here because everyone knows you already or knows your mates and might have certain prejudices or misinformed opinions as a result of this. And the fact that they know you might make it more difficult to go out on a limb and in for the kill.

But in a new town, new people, you are a blank canvass and can show them who you really are. You're in a good position cos people are generally sound and always love to meet new people.
    So go out on a limb dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

As with a lot of things, I suspect there are some who say they're happy with being single but they're just putting a brave face on it and who deep down actually would quite like to be with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

You see I'd take being in a new town as a big positive. I'm from a decent sized town, by Irish standards, and people find it hard to hook up here because everyone knows you already or knows your mates and might have certain prejudices or misinformed opinions as a result of this. And the fact that they know you might make it more difficult to go out on a limb and in for the kill.

But in a new town, new people, you are a blank canvass and can show them who you really are. You're in a good position cos people are generally sound and always love to meet new people.
    So go out on a limb dude!

You could be right man! I'm just not the sort of lad that approaches women in bars or clubs... I'd have to be introduced to them first! Y'know its funny the way things go- I was in 3 relatively long term relationships in college and since I've left... sweet FA! After the demise of the last relationship I said I'm gonna take 6 months out and enjoy the single life... here I am 4 years later and hating it! :(
    As with a lot of things, I suspect there are some who say they're happy with being single but they're just putting a brave face on it and who deep down actually would quite like to be with someone.

Dead right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Because I'm tired of being ultimately disappointing. I'll stick with being a reasonable friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭shuvly

Am out there forv the hugs, am ahuggy bear!..but am after ahvung a few drinks, so am all about the love...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Because i'm crazy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I am seeing some casually and I am thinking of asking him to 'go steady' so I will be probably be back to fully single again. How come all men I go out with only want something casual? Is this a default setting for starting relationships and I just haven't learned how to convince them that I should be their girlfriend?

Lux23 wrote: »
    I am seeing some casually and I am thinking of asking him to 'go steady' so I will be probably be back to fully single again. How come all men I go out with only want something casual? Is this a default setting for starting relationships and I just haven't learned how to convince them that I should be their girlfriend?

Its the other way round for me. You're doing something wrong, or maybe i am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

how long are you seeing him?

as you have suggested, having this conversation will probably scare the bejaysis out of him. dont do it.

play it cool girl! the cooler you play it the more they want you.

you shoudl read a book called ''why men marry bitches'' it's brilliant, not normally an advocate of self help books but came across this in a hostel in NZ and it gives great advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

No I don't roll that way. I tell people how I feel and if they accept it great, if not then we break. I won't play it cool if I am keen on him, that makes no sense to me. I just don't understand why he says its a casual thing when we spend most of our free together and are in contact constantly when are not together. How is that casual?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

My reason is at 3.01 minutes in below

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Because, it seems to me, being in a relationship has gotten more difficult and expensive, while many of the reasons for doing so have fallen away. Marriage? Optional. Children? Unnecessary. What's left? Friendship, companionship, sex, and you don't need a "relationship" to enjoy those things.

Personally, I lost interest in playing "the game" once it was clear I was no good at it. If you keep doing something you don't have to do, repeatedly, when it's clear it's not going to work, that's a sign of madness. Sure, a relationship would be nice, but it's a luxury. Not something that should ruin my life and empty my wallet. If you're tempted to say "well, you haven't met the right person", you'd be right, but so what? I don't have to do this. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Single people are just sad, lonely souls, wandering the earth like half-people, desperately seeking anything to fill the deep hollow void that haunts their empty, miserable existences.

:D

Single people are just sad, lonely souls, wandering the earth like half-people, desperately seeking anything to fill the deep hollow void that haunts their empty, miserable existences.

Speak for yourself. I'm very happy being single :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Kiera wrote: »

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

So you're not looking for anything to fill the hollow void then? :(:pac:

laugh wrote: »
    So you're not looking for anything to fill the hollow void then? :(:pac:

You make it sound huge. I'm as tight as a nuns knickers i'll have you know :P

You make it sound huge. I'm as tight as a nuns knickers i'll have you know :P

Being the gentleman that I am, I took out the word deep so as not to imply your lady garden was in any way cavernous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Kegel exercises are great all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Being the gentleman that I am, I took out the word deep so as not to imply your lady garden was in any way cavernous.
    Lady garden only refers to the bush, not the vadge itself.

Dudess wrote: »

Yeah was just thinking that. I prefer to call it my "happy place".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

I like having my own freedom, the thought of having a girlfriend isn't a bad one but im not going to go out specifically to find a suitable girl.

Im much happier just biding my time and sooner or later a fine lass will come along! :P

Hmm I thought some women used it for all of the stuff down there considering the distinct lack of foliage in general these days. I have no preference either way myself, as long as I can get to the treasure without too much of a hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

Kegel exercises are great all right.

?

They've even got them for men. :confused:

Am I too assume the exercises involve insertion of the object pictured in the wiki-page?

My eyes are starting to water just thinking about it.

Abrasax wrote: »
    ?

They've even got them for men. :confused:

Am I too assume the exercises involve insertion of the object pictured in the wiki-page?

My eyes are starting to water just thinking about it.

No, you dont need to use tools. Sure i'm doing them right now as i'm typing this ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

No, you dont need to use tools. Sure i'm doing them right now as i'm typing this ;)

Got it.

I'm right on it.

So, how many reps can you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

I am single because I have not yet learned how to warp the space time continuum.:(

P.S. It is a scientifically proven fact that Kegels are the best way to prevent your gee from looking like a window cleaners pocket - keep up the good work ladies - we men salute you.

P.S. Dudess, in light of the above, I may have to re-name the band!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I am single because.....

Discuss.

It doesn't describe how they are done on Wikipedia, is it like pelvic thrusting?

That_Guy wrote: »
    I am single because.....

Discuss.

... You're from Meath?

It doesn't describe how they are done on Wikipedia, is it like pelvic thrusting?

Nah, that tones your ass - try clenching - it's good to be in touch with one's feminine side.

Do you think i'm sitting here in my office with other people thrusting? :P

Its clenching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Yeah was just thinking that. I prefer to call it my "happy place".

I prefer to call it your love cave. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Must be a foldable keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

... You're from Meath?

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭i.need.a.job

got stung once, never let it happen again

Fizman wrote: »
    I prefer to call it your love cave. :)

I think you'll find a love cave is on killiney hill: directions

got stung once, never let it happen again

Awww.... that's not a good reason to stay away from relationships. Not every gal/guy you meet will hurt you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

laugh and Kiera, get a room or at least keep it to PM's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭i.need.a.job

Awww.... that's not a good reason to stay away from relationships. Not every gal/guy you meet will hurt you!

cant really be bothered in goin through the whole thing again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Suit Up

I have a long list, and some probably contradict each other

I'm very stuck in my ways and like a LOT of me time.
    I'm often insecure about myself also which doesn't help matters.
    I don't like to approach women when i'm out. (i actually prefer going out to have fun, not to look for a partner!)
    It's very hard to meet people these days, unless it involves both parties being pissed in a pub or club, which isn't a good start for me.
    Women bore me when they start talking like women do.
    I have a bizarre off switch, which means that as soon as I've slept with somebody, I lose all interest.
    I'm not that attractive.
    I like the idea of a relationship, but the most i've managed in the last few years is 1 month. I get bored insanely quickly.

that list is just off the top of my head.
    I have a date tonight, wish me luck :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Suit Up wrote: »
    I have a long list, and some probably contradict each other

I'm very stuck in my ways and like a LOT of me time.
    I'm often insecure about myself also which doesn't help matters.
    I don't like to approach women when i'm out. (i actually prefer going out to have fun, not to look for a partner!)
    It's very hard to meet people these days, unless it involves both parties being pissed in a pub or club, which isn't a good start for me.
    Women bore me when they start talking like women do.
    I have a bizarre off switch, which means that as soon as I've slept with somebody, I lose all interest.
    I'm not that attractive.
    I like the idea of a relationship, but the most i've managed in the last few years is 1 month. I get bored insanely quickly.

that list is just off the top of my head.
    I have a date tonight, wish me luck :confused:

She's a lucky lady :pac:

Ah, good luck though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Suit Up

She's a lucky lady :pac:

Ah, good luck though :D

Thanks, to be fair, there's something about this one. We did have the most enjoyable first date ever last week. Both of us agreed that it was the best one ever (she even put it on her facebook status). And we slept together and I haven't lost interest yet.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

I'd prefer to be in a relationship, can meet people to date, but haven't me the right one yet.

Closest one for me.. I'm not bothered though, when it happens it happens like. The single life is grand but it's always nice having someone there to share stuff with, like stds.. stupid cheesy jokes... the lowdown of your terribly boring life etc. :D

Suit Up wrote: »
    And we slept together

Ooooh, well la-di-fookin'-da look at me with all my sexings and stuff - no blue balls for me - i get loving so I do ... etc etc

:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement