Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole situation back home

Options
  • 05-04-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, what is the story with claiming dole back home? My 2nd year visa expires in late January 2011. While I dont want to leave, I also dont want to go illegal like half of us do when the 2nd year ends (mainly because, as much as I love it here, theres other places I want to see in the world and I dont want to get trapped here illegal waiting for umpteen years until they decide Ive been here long enough to just let me stay anyway. Know one lad here without leaving for 12 years, too long for me). Prob try come back on a student visa for a cheap course in late 2011. Reason I ask, obviously when I return home I will be on the scratch, and I heard you can only claim it within 2 years of your previous employmnt ending. I last worked/ paid tax in Ireland in mid Jan 2009. Is the 2 year timeframe still going on? Im not sure what to do- construction has been quiet as anything in Januarys here as long as anyone can remember, yet I want to see in the New Year here (maybe even see in Paddys Day here, it pisses oer the bollix we have for it back home). If I gamble staying thru January I risk getting skint as fcuk before returning home (this January was relatively ok, normally got 3- 4 days but it can be awful some years apparently)

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Ha 12 years and holding out for an amnesty, might never happen.

One of my friends overstayed his WHV by 6 years and he decided to go straight. He did his skills assessment in Australia and left in October and lodged his ENS (121) PR application in November and got granted PR in February and back a few weeks ago.

When you overstay your visa you are classed as an Undocumented overstayer, when you supply false information to obtain a visa then you are classed as an illegal.

January is the holiday period, construction traditionally closes down for most of that month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

mandrake04 wrote: »

One of my friends overstayed his WHV by 6 years and he decided to go straight. He did his skills assessment in Australia and left in October and lodged his ENS (121) PR application in November and got granted PR in February and back a few weeks ago.

ah but in his case he obivously had a skill on the old wanted list? or am I wrong?

Zambia232 wrote: »
    ah but in his case he obivously had a skill on the old wanted list? or am I wrong?

As long as its on the SOL wouldn't matter for ENS

He is a form worker for last 7 years, He didn't have any papers so the TRA came out to his place of work and watched him working. They had their quarterly meeting and deemed him capable and give him a + Skills assessment letter and ref No. and his boss was happy to sponsor him so he was leaving having completed all the hard bits. His immigration lawyer told him before he left it was a done deal and go home Celebrate and have a good Xmas.

3 year ban does not effect Permanent residency visa only tourist visa's, Technically he can live in Australia he just cant come here on a holiday.

$6500 and 4 months back in Ireland over Xmas well worth going legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Eh...I asked about claiming dole after two years back in Ireland :) Ive no intention of going illegal. Although while on topic it is possible to get de facto with a partner while illegal, though Im sure its slightly trickyer.

Eh...I asked about claiming dole after two years back in Ireland :) Ive no intention of going illegal. Although while on topic it is possible to get de facto with a partner while illegal, though Im sure its slightly trickyer.

I never said you did intend on going illegal

Like I said in my previous post overstaying your visa means you are an Undocumented overstayer... DIAC would not class you as illegal just undocumented, there is a difference.

to answer your question about an overstayer going De-facto it can be done, although you best seeking advice of a good immigration lawyer.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I never said you did intend on going illegal

Like I said in my previous post overstaying your visa means you are an Undocumented overstayer... DIAC would not class you as illegal just undocumented, there is a difference.

to answer your question about an overstayer going De-facto it can be done, although you best seeking advice of a good immigration lawyer.

I think we are getting a bit sidetracked here. Im not asking about anything to do with immigration law, Im asking whether I have to make it home within 2 years of my last employment in Ireland to be entitled to dole, or if I can swan in a few months afterwards. Assuming I cant get work back home I, if I dont have to comply with this 2 year limit, would be hoping to go home maybe late March, sign on, see a bit of Europe, save as much as poss (the Aussie taxback would help me too) and hopefully come back to Oz on a student visa by maybe Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Friend of mine was away for over 2 years, between travelling South American and 2 years in Australia.

Anyway, he went to the dole office told them his situation. Which was basically he was living at home with no money or income and a few debts.

First week he got 54 Euro but the following week got full dole through. Just make sure you go to your local welfare officer and explain your case I think, dunno if this is set in stone but it worked for him

Hope this helps

Cheers. I guess if you make a plea of being completely skint on your arse with no parental support they cant let you starve....can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

In a nutshell mate.

To be fair his parents are separated, his mother is not working and his father was made redundant so his circumstances are pretty precarious.

That and he waxed his savings on a 6 weeks trip around South America after he left Australia!

Advertisement