Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HD 3D Projector

• 05-04-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

I am looking into get a Projector to use with my BlueRay & SKY HD boxes.

Are HD projectors as good as a normal HD TV? Will the Image be distorted?

Also, is it possible to get a 3D projector that will work for Sky 3D?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

Hd projectors are better than tv as they give you a bigger picture no distortion. .
    also cost a lot more! I havnt seen a 3d projector but would imagine they will cost the guts of 7k

have a look here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

720p 3d projectors actually arent too expensive

http://projectorshop24.co.uk/acer-projector/acer-projector_acer-h5360.html?utm_source=idealo&utm_medium=idealo&utm_campaign=idealo

And theres the optoma hd66 which should be a similar price but doesnt seem to be available in europe yet.

Sky HD 3D will only be 720p/1080i

you'll have to google though to confirm they work with sky 3d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

i'd stay away from cheap brands you never heard of on ebay

if you dont mind getting a 720p one, then i'd research that acer one i linked and see what the reviews are like and whether it works with sky 3d.

• Advertisement

John mac wrote: »

actually spotted this yesterday on an irish site with a cheaper price (and free shipping atm according to the bargain alerts section of boards.ie)

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_03ELEC/13_PROJECT/04_HOMECIN/productdetails/15487917/Optoma_Home_Theater_Series_HD200X_DLP_Projector/HD200X/default.aspx

No 3d though if thats something the OP definitely wants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Should be some new models announced INFOCOMM (June) or CEDIA (Sept.)

You can keep up to date on new models here

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1235639&page=7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

720p 3d projectors actually arent too expensive

http://projectorshop24.co.uk/acer-projector/acer-projector_acer-h5360.html?utm_source=idealo&utm_medium=idealo&utm_campaign=idealo

And theres the optoma hd66 which should be a similar price but doesnt seem to be available in europe yet.

Sky HD 3D will only be 720p/1080i

you'll have to google though to confirm they work with sky 3d

Don't think any of the optoma 3D projectors will work with Blu Ray 3D or Sky 3D only 3D gaming.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=18457883&postcount=196

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

I'll probably scrap the whole 3D idea.

So that leaves me with the Best HD projector. Short range.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7 alfie123

This may be a stupid question but, can you just watch ordinary HD on 3d projectors providing of course its 1080

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

alfie123 wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question but, can you just watch ordinary HD on 3d projectors providing of course its 1080

Yes

My advice would be to either get a HD projector now and upgrade to a proper 3D version in a year or three or get a reasonably cheap 42in plasma/ LED/LCD now and when the 3D PJ's start coming out at a reasonable price then get that and move the plasma to another room.

The current 720p Acers etc mentioned above are not Bluray or Sky 3D compatible, just nVidia gaming compatible as someone above mentioned. There will definately be Full HD(1080p) 3D PJ's launched this year at the high end of the market, ie. 10,000+ but we'll have to wait a year or two for the likes of Panasonic to come out with a fullHD 3D version of their great value AE series of PJ's.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

but we'll have to wait a year or two for the likes of Panasonic to come out with a fullHD 3D version of their great value AE series of PJ's.

...That's a brave statement !! I would have thopught that Panasonic would be pretty fast out of the blocks with 3D-capable projectors, given their tendency to revise their projector models every year or so..... Time will tell !

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Speaking of yearly Panasonics Ritz, Do you remember the halcyon days of '02 when we got our AE100's :D Still haven't owned anything other than Panasonic PJ's since :D Actually all our plasmas are Panny's too. Must have given that company over 10000 quid at this stage :D

Back to 3D though. Nothing would thrill me more than to be suprised by an announcement from Panasonic come CES in Sept/Oct. Up till a few weeks ago I was pretty sure we would indeed see a 3d AE5000 in Sept/Oct. I figured Panasonic being heavily involved in 3D hyping and promotion and actually being members of the 3D forum finalising the formats, that it was surely a foregone conclusion that they would be one of the first out the gate with a 3D PJ.

However, I am hearing that current gen epson lcd panels while possibly capable of being driven at 120hz probably have to much pixel latency/ on/off response time meaning lots of 3D crosstalk. Some people are saying it'll need a redesigned panel to eliminate this. Just like we heard about the next gen c2fine panels a good few months before we saw the first PJ's by epson and Panasonic (AE1000) that utilised them, I would have thought we would have heard about new 3D capable panels from epson by now be that in official promotional material from epson or a leak or filed patents. Fingers crossed that no word on new panels just means they are playing their cards close to their chest.

If it were me and I were working on 3D panels I would be promoting it already never mind leaking it so that people will hold off and wait for the Panny and epson 3D lcds rather than jumping ship to DLP which by all accounts should be capable of 3D with just a firmware update and HDMI 1.4 port.

*All the above assumes shutter is the prefered method as opposed to polorised*

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Keith,

Yip, I remember our AE100s (and dismantling them to clean/replace blue polarizers.... ;)

You've obviously thought a fair bit about this, I was just assuming they'd be out of the traps. I'm running an Infocus IN76, so haven't made the jump to 1080 yet in any event. I'm currently devoting myself to ripping my movie collection to hard drives so I can access all my movies using mediabrowser in Win7 MCE - it really is brilliant - so I'm not particularly fussed about 3D at this stage. I have hundreds of movies which would never benefit from upgrading in that direction and I'm actually planning to totally clear out my system (sources, amp, speakers, the lot) to facilitate a refit which will return it to a one-box system.

Nice to see you around these parts again....:)

Cheers,

Sean.

Advertisement