Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Way System

Options
  • 05-04-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I think the 'trial' one way system is a great idea

Do you think the 'trial' one way system is a good idea 33 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    48% 16 votes
    Should be extended
    42% 14 votes
    Wrong route/approach
    9% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Its going to be a complete joke. Do you drive? The traffic will be nuts coming down high street towards the lights at the bank of Ireland. This might have worked 20 or 30 years ago alright.

Taxi fares will also shoot up because of the long route. I swear to God they are some clowns working in that council....

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

its gonna be an epic failure. as plug said the traffic is just gonna build up all the way from mcdonagh station right up to left bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

very sceptical about all this. correct me if im wrong but was the one-way system not linked to the construction of the inner relief route?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think it'll work, the one thing I'm worried about is the contra-flow bicycle lanes. Without proper markings they really should have kept all cyclists going in the same direction.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

gunner11 wrote: »
    very sceptical about all this. correct me if im wrong but was the one-way system not linked to the construction of the inner relief route?

Yes but this is a trial run. Only speculating but if it's a complete success it could be a good reason not to go ahead with the building of the inner relief road.

• Advertisement

Yes but this is a trial run. Only speculating but if it's a complete success it could be a good reason not to go ahead with the building of the inner relief road.

the only trial routes are john st and high street, everything else is permanent

by the way, there seems to be new speed limit signs under wraps in john street today. i think ill scream if a 30 km/h speed limit goes up in town!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

I think it'll work, the one thing I'm worried about is the contra-flow bicycle lanes. Without proper markings they really should have kept all cyclists going in the same direction.

Just noticed this (one of the bin bags had come off a sign) and i thought they would have to have markings and I just presumed they had done it. Oh dear.

I will still be only going with cars in the one way streets, Im not going to attempt going the opposite way to them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Plug wrote: »
    Taxi fares will also shoot up because of the long route. I swear to God they are some clowns working in that council....

Taxi fares will only shoot up if the taxi drivers take advantage if the situation, they don't have to charge extra

Cabaal wrote: »
    Taxi fares will only shoot up if the taxi drivers take advantage if the situation, they don't have to charge extra

There is that guy who charges a fiver anywhere in town, can't think of his name though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

just walked through town for lunch and it seemed very busy, can't say myself if its any worse than usual though but plenty of angry motorists beeping the car horns around the BOI area :D might take a while for the new system to bed in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

It took me a half hour to get home from James' St this morning (which is near the Hebron Industrial Estate).
    I will probably go home via the ringroads from now on.

There was some crazy scenes with some particular craziness around Parliament St. and Green's Bridge.
    Despite being at the front of the queue at the traffic lights at Parliament St/Irishtown I missed a green light completely as traffic built up across the road from previous green light. :)
    Also, this was about 11.45AM. I would not like to be going through town at any traffic peak times.

Here is a PDF map of the temporary/permanent changes. It might be useful to those unsure of any routes (or where to avoid).

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Was walking through town earlier on and have to say traffic was going really slow! Bit of a mess at the min!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Was intown today, traffic a nightmare, can i change my vote in the poll??? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

just as predicted the whole thing was an epic failure. this is supposed to ease traffic? the whole town was jammed from 3 to 6 pm when i was driving thru and walking around. cant see it stayin tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

Had the car in town today and I suppose if their idea behind it is that people won't drive in town as often, then it could work, because it was a disaster to drive there today. The junction at the Parade where cars from Patrick St., Rose Inn St & the Castle all try to get onto High St was a mess.

I know the footpaths are narrow on John St but there has to be a better way than this, it was ridiculous today. If it was a thing that there was good public transport into town or a regular bus service around the estates on the outskirts of town then maybe you could justify it, but as it stands people need to bring their cars to town, they have very little choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

Turn off traffic lights its only way ,same thing had to be done in Ennis for it to work :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 swifty73

I live and work on john st. and last week was the biggest foot fall on the street since before christmas, the town centre needs people to walk into shops,not drive through town on a rat run to clonmel or carlow these will go on the ringroad due to the one way system.Free the centre for the shoppers.
    Remove traffic lights on parade add a round about .and feed traffic from multistory car park on to new st. and open up the mart site as a 2euro a day carpark. sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Need roundabout at Bank of Ireland lights.
    First time experiencing the one way properly this morning. Went down Johns St. Was fine until we got to the Bank of Ireland Junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

Roundabout and 2 euro car park in mart good idea good ideas folks

• Advertisement
Advertisement