Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you love your favourite dog breed?

Options
  • 05-04-2010 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I'm really interested to know why people choose a certain breed of dog, and love it more than any other breed? There are some breeds that I mightn't like, but other people love, so I'd love to know why? And then there are dogs that I don't know much about, e.g. Staffies, their owners seem to always say what amazing dogs they are, but what is it that makes them your favourite?

Like did you grow up with them, is it their energy, some personality trait, their loyalty or what?

I love Cavaliers because they're always incredible friendly, energetic, easy to care for and a little bit because they're pretty dogs :D They also are quite cat-like, they love sitting on your lap all day, and I love cats.

I also love Springers and other gundogs, for their personalities. I'd love a Golden Retriever because they're very sweet. Overall for me, a dog should be friendly, cuddly and never any bit aggressive. Liveliness is also important.

Why do you love your breed? (Including mongrels!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i love staffies as well and i believe they are the best dog breed for children,i used to breed and show staffies [for over 30 years],i have now moved on to for the last 10 years ]english bulldogs, the reason? i love their lazyness and stubborn ways,one handycap is that if you take them for walkies expect to be stopped in the street every few yards by people who want to pat them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Hard to beat a good labrador, ive grown up around them i know how to train them (the basics), they are aways full of beans and eger to do pretty much anything ya instruct them too, i am yet to come across an angry lab, they bark and sometimes look mean (mine has a very angry sounding bark) but never seen on with any intent.

P.S. my grandfather has an 18 year old black lab/cross, i must get some pics of here for here, you can tell she is old slow movements but still do this days sits in front of me and gives her paw!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Top of the list has to be a good ould Heinz 57 great variety and mixes and we have the prettiest one on the planet.

Next would be collies, because they are nuts, very clever and keep you going.

Next then would be Phalenes & Papillons, in a way like a very mini collie our guy reminds me of both our other dogs ones a collie ones a Heinz 57.
    They are full of energy like a collie and dainty like our Heinz 57.
    Very clever but love to plonk on your lap, we can't have cats here so they are the next best thing. Love to climb and curl up in the heat.

Bearded collies then just because they are so darn cute.
    Irish terriers and any pretty dogs I'm afraid I do prefer cute and fluffy and collie mixes are always fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My fav would be the good 'ole German Shephard, I don't think they can be beat for looks, intelligence and loyality, they are the whole package imo of course :)
    A close second would be almost any of the bully breeds, they have such an amazing integrity to them and are so genuine they would lay down their lives for their master, two trait which are often exploited by the wrong people :(

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I love Westies, and especially the one I have. They have great sense of fun, and their strong determined character and spirit make them great to be around. There's never a dull moment with them and mad half hour every evening when he runs laps of the living room never ceases to make me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Next then would be Phalenes & Papillons, in a way like a very mini collie our guy reminds me of both our other dogs ones a collie ones a Heinz 57.
    They are full of energy like a collie and dainty like our Heinz 57.
    Very clever but love to plonk on your lap, we can't have cats here so they are the next best thing. Love to climb and curl up in the heat.

I love Papillons! I've never actually met one, but I really really want one. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I love Dobermans, clean sleek short hair, very playful, quiet, totally a one man dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Cavaliers, and Spaniels in general. Setters are fab dogs too, as are quite a few of the listed breeds (I have a terrible soft spot for Rotties).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hard to beat a good labrador, ive grown up around them i know how to train them (the basics), they are aways full of beans and eger to do pretty much anything ya instruct them too, i am yet to come across an angry lab, they bark and sometimes look mean (mine has a very angry sounding bark) but never seen on with any intent.

P.S. my grandfather has an 18 year old black lab/cross, i must get some pics of here for here, you can tell she is old slow movements but still do this days sits in front of me and gives her paw!!!!

+1
    Have to agree--Labs are great.Like yourself I grew up around Labs and Lab crosses--Best ever dog with kids--Mine just lets the 2 younger ones do anything they want to her--Theyve even put lipstick and makeup on her at one stage.Theyve put nappies on her,tried to put dresses on her and she just lies there and lets them.Ive never ever seen her angry with anything or anyone but when she goes in to "guard dog" mode her bark is as fierce yet she`d probably lick a burglar to death--its quite funny to see.

I do have a soft spot for Rotties and Staffies aswell but Im really not sure about them with the kids even though people say they are great with kids.

Next dog??Probably a Shiba Inu--always wanted one and have found a reputable breeder in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Kelpie, they're loyal, kind, playful and smart, also very agile.

Mine will be 14 next birthday.

• Advertisement

69 wrote: »
    I love Dobermans, clean sleek short hair, very playful, quiet, totally a one man dog.

We had a lovely Doberman in college one day. It was so sweet, when his owner came to collect him he ran over just like a puppy, so playful

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Akitas are my favourite breed of all because they're so intelligient, loyal, family orientated, friendly and regal! I think they're the most "human-like" breed I've ever come across! They're also stunning looking dogs and they are fantastic house dogs and don't get under your feet or demolish the house in an excited frenzy (no whipping tail knocking over cups and such lol)
    morganafay wrote: »
    I love Cavaliers because they're always incredible friendly, energetic, easy to care for and a little bit because they're pretty dogs :D They also are quite cat-like, they love sitting on your lap all day, and I love cats.

+1 on this, the only small dogs I like are cavs for these exact reasons (although I don't like cats :p) They also have huge personalities in such a small package!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Irish Terriers for their independent spirit (aka disobedience;)), and lovely deep bark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Daschunds for their ability to make you laugh, even if your world is falling down. The way they curl on your lap to go to sleep and then hop around licking you to death to remind you they love you.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

TERRIERS! All types but I love mongrels, have two myself.

I love their feisty personality, so entertaining always make me laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Beagles because of their floppy ears, the look of intense concentration when they smell food (or anything interesting!)- nose down, tail up. The way they're so gentle and even-tempered, the big sad eyes, they way they look like their ears are going to flap so hard they might just take off like a helicoptor when they run.

I'm not sure about all beagles, but what I love about mine is the way she acts all dominant and tough during the day, but at night when she's tired she curls up on our laps to sleep and pokes her little snout under our arms to hider her eyes from the light. I love the way she reminds me of a little piglet, her little snout is very piggy-like and she's always snuffling at stuff. She also squeals if she's done something naughty and has been put outside.

I love picking her up and singing "cirlce of life" because she reminds me of Simba.

Piste wrote: »
    I love picking her up and singing "cirlce of life" because she reminds me of Simba.

hahaha, you are awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Haha, she doesn't seem to think so, usually she's calm and puts up with it, but sometimes she squirms and is like "wtf? put me down, weirdo" so I don't do it too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭panthera

kerry blue terrier because they have great individual spirit, they are fiercely loyal and they are well ble to defend themselves:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd have to say Staffordshire Bull Terriers, for their strength of character, tenacity, their love of people and in particular children and for their sheer love of life.

I've never seen a dog which from day one grabs life by the scruff of the neck and lets loose with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Siberian Huskies have always been my dream dog, ever since I knew what one was! They are just so striking and from a distance appear so wild.

My sister ended up surprising me with one back in September, and I just love the breed even more now, would love to rescue some more when I have the room.

After that it has to be jack russells, or any JRT cross, they are just

full of bravado and yet full of love,
    full of energy get happy to snooze for hours between fun,
    so small yet such a big personality,

they are the dog full of contradictions!

After that,,,, any giant dog. Great danes, neufies, cross breeds. The bigger the better, so nice to hug and cuddle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

The two best pets I ever owned were a golden retriever and a collie-red setter mix.
    Both dogs were very fun-loving, energetic and people-friendly.

I love all kinds of dogs but my current favourite is probably pug. I've never owned one myself, I just base my opinions on my mum's experience with one and from what I've read / seen.

I've heard that they have a good temperament and are very affectionate, lively dogs. Plus, their small size is ideal for me, as I'm not sure I could handle the likes of a lab or a golden retriever on my own. Also, my current house would be far too restrictive for a large dog.

I think I also like pugs because of their appearance. I know a lot of people consider them to be ugly dogs, but I think they're adorable! The button nose, the big eyes and face wrinkles ... aww :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

This will sound silly but i prefer big dogs. I love my mastiff being big and playful. Loads to cuddle and love. Very clingy though. Truly a one master dog! Dad has a weimariner. Lovely dog. Always wanted a blood hound too. Had a bassett previously. Just realised i seem to like short haired dogs too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

This will sound silly but i prefer big dogs. I love my mastiff being big and playful. Loads to cuddle and love. Very clingy though. Truly a one master dog! Dad has a weimariner. Lovely dog. Always wanted a blood hound too. Had a bassett previously. Just realised i seem to like short haired dogs too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

racso1975 wrote: »

Nothing silly about it, no offense to all the toy dog owners but i see them pointless! i usually laugh when i see a wee fart of a dog pulling the arm off its owner while out for a walk. what exactly do they do? apart from look cute?

Nothing silly about it, no offense to all the toy dog owners but i see them pointless! i usually laugh when i see a wee fart of a dog pulling the arm off its owner while out for a walk. what exactly do they do? apart from look cute?

I don't like most small dog breeds that much, but some are just the same as large dogs in personality! My oldest Cavalier definitely thinks she's a Springer Spaniel! I can't think of anything a big dog can do that a small dog can't? She loves exercise, chasing a ball, swimming, playing, anything really.

:D Also they're just easier/cheaper to look after. And I'm not strong enough to walk large dogs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

I'm not a fan of toy dogs (except Cavs) either but I wouldn't call them pointless. They don't have the ability to do what working dogs can but they are companion dogs so they are doing exactly what they were bred for.

On topic my favourite breeds are:

I love golden retrievers for the reasons already given. They are just so sociable. All around good dog except for maybe guarding. :p

German Shepherds for their intelligence, loyalty and protectiveness. I love this breed.

I love how striking and proud Dobermans look. I don't have any experience with them so don't know what they are like to be around. I don't think I've ever seen any in Dublin.

I'd have to say Staffordshire Bull Terriers, for their strength of character, tenacity, their love of people and in particular children and for their sheer love of life.

I've never seen a dog which from day one grabs life by the scruff of the neck and lets loose with it.

Read a good Staffie quote the other day in an owner's manual, the author said the ideal Staffie was originally bred to "go from the pit to the pram", thought it was a great way to describe them :)

My Chihuahua goes on an hour walk daily with my other two dogs, she'll go hiking at the weekends, she'll fetch a ball or stick, she'll bark if she feels her family or home are in danger, she can 'sit, stay, lie down' with the best of them. She has us in stitches when she wrestles our Rottie ( and wins!!) and because she is allowed in more places than big dogs she is my constant companion.
    As for just being cute, she's guilty as charged!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Stacey.x

i have a black labrador.
    i love labradors best, because they are loyal... and have lovely faces. :D
    aha, very pretty dogs i would say.
    and so nice-natured too. :)

Advertisement