Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you love your favourite dog breed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

My favourite dog breed is the one with a good owner at the other end of the lead ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'm not a fan of toy dogs (except Cavs) either but I wouldn't call them pointless. They don't have the ability to do what working dogs can but they are companion dogs so they are doing exactly what they were bred for.

Exactly! For me, a dog is a companion, first and foremost, so they are perfect :D

All I want a dog to do is play, cuddle, give kisses, and be well behaved and friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Have a 2 year old shih tzu. Have to say past 2 years has been the funniest time of my life with this dog. They have a very strange personality and LOVE playing, very intelligent, but can be very stubborn at times.. ie call her after shouting at her and she wont even look at you. Tell her to lie down from across the room with food in ur hand and shes over in a shot on the ground :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Cocker spaniels. I love them because they are very loyal, great companions and great friends. They are medium in size, up for long walks but at the same time house dogs. I have 2 at the moment and I am getting another new pup next week. Can't wait! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

My favourites are those who have a farming/country working background, especially Border Collies and Springer Spaniels, for their intelligence and their utter joie de vivre. (I also love Sprollies;)). I grew up with collies and my parents still have one and I have two springers. The Guardian Dog Guide recently described springers as being like a Golden Retriver that's had a double esspresso and I think it sums them up nicely.:D And Border Collies are just so damn intelligent and eager to please, I adore them.

I love how both breeds have such boundless enthusiasm, whether it's learning new tricks, playing games or just running and running and running. I also love how they just don't tire out and can go and go and go (mostly, on occasion I find myself wishing I had goldfish instead). I think no matter what is wrong in your world watching a dog who just loves life so purely can't help but give you a lift.

My very favourite thing is that they are just so sure that whatever they love, you love. That look on their faces when they come up to you after running through a filthy, noxious, stinkpond and they are so pleased with their nasty aroma and muddy coating and are awaiting your praise and admiration is priceless. I'm clearly a complete masochist. :(:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

iguana wrote: »
    My favourites are those who have a farming/country working background, especially Border Collies and Springer Spaniels, for their intelligence and their utter joie de vivre. (I also love Sprollies;)). I grew up with collies and my parents still have one and I have two springers. The Guardian Dog Guide recently described springers as being like a Golden Retriver that's had a double esspresso and I think it sums them up nicely.:D And Border Collies are just so damn intelligent and eager to please, I adore them.:(:D

I love Sprollies too! And I love Springers. We had one for most of my life, and he was so lovely. Completely mad though, never trained, and I think he taught my Cavalier to be mad too! :D I'd definitely get one again if I had a big garden/some land, but we've moved to a house with a small garden now. My dad wants to get one but not til I move out and take my dogs with me because "they'd teach it bad habits"!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have to say I love any friendly waggy dog, I fell in love with Tibetan terriers when I was about 10, I met a pair of the funniest, hairiest, bouncing balls of fun and saw them often, they were just like kids, playing hide and seek and jumping out at you. It took me a long time to finally get one and he is so much fun, He jumps in puddles(especially if he can splash you), pokes us in the bum then runs away or hides until you go find him, and bounces on the bed. He loves to do whatever we're doing, hates being alone even for a few mins(So we got him a little friend, see below) and loves a cuddle on the sofa. They are a bit stubborn, can be hard to train(so I'm told, he's been pretty good so long as its fun for him) and definitely have a sense of humour(and you need one too). My dream would be to have the space, time and money for about half a dozen of them.
    I also have a Lhasa Apso and they're quite alike in many ways, she is very cute and knows it and thinks she's a cat at times(she pounces on things like a cat, and chases mice). They get on great. I'd love another Lhasa too, but at the moment its not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Whilst I've already expressed my love for Westies, my other favourite dog would be a labrador and a black one at that like we had at home when I was a teenager. But I'm realistic that it won't happen as my back garden isn't big enough and I would never do that to a dog that likes to have plenty of room to nose around. The Westie is always finding new smells but I think a big dog deserves a big garden, long walks just aren't enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

well u could have two dogs of different breed but have the exact same personality but for me its the staffys and pitbulls.

there determination and loyalty and predictability is one of a kind. their face will tell a story in a second! my staffy does weight pulling and my pit opens doors at night and we wake up next morning with the staffy at the end of the bed by our feet and the pit between us with his head on the pillow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Cairn terriers! Obedient, placid, friendly, faces that look like ^o_o^ most of the time and capable of digging holes in the most inconvenient of places. Plus they attract shrill adults exclaiming "Toto!" when you're out for walks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Siberian Huskys for their loving and friendly personalitys, their always playfull nature, their gentleness and attentivness, their humour and never ending energy. Really love this breed definate my favourite, excellent temperments when trained and raised right.

German Shepards aswell for their loyalty, love for their family and obiedience and that cute tilted head look she gives me when she gets confused =)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

lrushe wrote: »
    My fav would be the good 'ole German Shephard, I don't think they can be beat for looks, intelligence and loyality, they are the whole package imo of course :)
    Agreed.
    I love Westies, and especially the one I have. They have great sense of fun, and their strong determined character and spirit make them great to be around. There's never a dull moment with them and mad half hour every evening when he runs laps of the living room never ceases to make me laugh.
    Also this. The one I have is completely mad, and if they see anything out of the ordinary (or think they see something) she goes mental. Also loves the snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

I love the Italian Spinone

Large rugged hairy gundog breed who can work or play all day, never get tired.

If you think of the flying dragon in the Neverending story, well that is similar to the Spinone. They are fabulous family dogs. It is written in their breed standard about how good they are with children. They have an almost human like expression with bushy beard and eyebrows.

I also love Staffies, rotties, JRT's, danes, & GSDs

If I could I would have several of each:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

For me its definitely Siberian Huskies. I love the way they chat away to me, the woowooing always makes me smile, we have one dog here called Rooney (already called that when he came) whom I have renamed Wooney cos he never stops talking:D I love their playfulness - not so much their destructiveness.

The greatest thing for me is getting out and working them, having that bond between us, me trusting them, and them trusting me. Went over to the UK last week and ran two dogs on Salisbury Plain, miles upon miles of tank tracks. Went careering down hills at breakneck speed, scarey, but knowing my dogs will keep going and keep me safe is amazing. Just giving one word commands and they turn left or right. And seeing them tired and happy afterwards is fantastic. Great, great dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

I have to say my fav breed is a rottie! Absolutely fabulious dog! and brillant with kids, My grandmother breed them so i grew up with them as a child,we would pull and hang out of them and they never turn! brillant dog! I have a 5 month old bitch and she is amazing and extremely clever,they show a very clown like behaviour towards their owners and are just so loveable!Mine chats away to me all the time it hilarious!It's just a shame the negative press they have recived from a handfull of bad owners because they really do make a fabulious dog mine would lick you to death before she's bite someone and all my grandmothers where the same

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Staffies are my favorite breed, I love their loyalty, energy and playfulness. Plus there great with kids and don't require hours of grooming all they want is to be near their owner.

Although i hate the negative stereotype's and over-hyped stories in the news about them, when in my experience at least staffies are among the most predictable and friendly dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

always have a soft spot for terriers for their feisty independent nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jujuB

lrushe wrote: »
    A close second would be almost any of the bully breeds, they have such an amazing integrity to them and are so genuine they would lay down their lives for their master, two trait which are often exploited by the wrong people :(
    I couldn't agree more! I have the most beautiful Rottweiler, she is such a baby. I got her when she was 5 months old from a horrible dog breeder (who has been stopped by the local dog warden) she was shy and very nervous. It used to make me seethe when people commented on how nervous she was, "That can't be good" "I would never trust a nervous Rottweiler" etc. Is nobody willing to give animals like my pet a chance in life?? She has come on leaps and bounds and she is now almost 4 years old. We live in a huge housing estate and we were a bit nervous about how the neighbours would react having a Rottweiler living next door (It's awful how we have to be so negative about peoples reactions) But they are amazed by her and love having such a great pet living so close to them. In fact, I know a lot of people that have been sttacked/bitten by dogs in the past and NONE of them were Rottweiler's, German Shepards, Staffies, Dobermans etc, they were all terriers and smaller breeds. She has never and I repeat never shown any agressive behaviour towards anything or anyone in her life, I just wish that people would give "bully breeds" a chance, it is in fact the people that own them that give them bad reputations. It absolutely infuriates me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Rotties are big strong and good looking dogs, with a friendly attitude, there the perfect dog to me, top class guard aswell and top pet who love to play and cuddle what more could you want in a dog, the complete package.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

cowzerp wrote: »
    top pet who love to play and cuddle what more could you want in a dog, the complete package.

This is so true!! As much as I love the two other breeds I owe there is nothing like the big bear hug you can give to a Rottie!!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement