Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliding Mitre Saws

Options
  • 05-04-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi all,

I do a bit of wood work, from time to time and a good bit of DIY.
    I want to get a sliding mitre saw for a few little jobs i've lined up.

I spotted an offer in woodies at the weekend,

http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=9157&loc=P&catid=10.5

Model: Ryobi EMS2026SCL

With budget constriants and the rest, my price bracket is sub €200.

I read a few reviews that dais its not the most accurate saw in the world but at this price range, could anyone suggest one that is?

Thanks for any help or reviews.

P.S I mainly make small pieces of furniture out of slavaged pitch pine, I will post up some pics when i get a chance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

dont look to be a bad saw but would be better than a "own brand model" but not as good as a dewalt but ryobi is a trade brand in parts of the world. im sure once u got it and made some adjustments to it could be quite a good purchase for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

dont look to be a bad saw but would be better than a "own brand model" but not as good as a dewalt but ryobi is a trade brand in parts of the world. im sure once u got it and made some adjustments to it could be quite a good purchase for the price

Yeah, I think its the best I'll get for that money!

I'm not expecting it to preform like one for €800, I just can't justify, at the minute, spending lots on one as I wont do a whole lot with it.

Was on the look out for a well looked after 2nd hand one but they are rare..

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

I bought one 2 weeks ago in Woodies and you are spot on its not very acurate but for the price they are going for it's well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

probably not perfect but most are easy to adjust and have adjustment screws etc and theres tips online to show you how to make them accurate etc.

Carra23 wrote: »
    I bought one 2 weeks ago in Woodies and you are spot on its not very acurate but for the price they are going for it's well worth it

Sounds good, Think I'll pop down tomorrow and get one, Lots in woodies near red cow and in Atlantic Blanch if anyone is interested

• Advertisement

kodak wrote: »
    Sounds good, Think I'll pop down tomorrow and get one, Lots in woodies near red cow and in Atlantic Blanch if anyone is interested

They have deals on all the Ryobi tools and I bought the jigsaw too for 50euro but stay away from them if you are tempted, it couldn't cut butter ! I wish I'd put another 50 or 60 to it n got a decent one

Carra23 wrote: »
    They have deals on all the Ryobi tools and I bought the jigsaw too for 50euro but stay away from them if you are tempted, it couldn't cut butter ! I wish I'd put another 50 or 60 to it n got a decent one

Thanks for the heads up, I'll walk in with €170!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

I hope this message doesn't annoy you.. but Axminster are doing the Makita LS1013 for nearly half price at the moment...

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID/EII/product-Makita-LS1013-260mm-Slide-Mitre-Saw-819689.htm

The Makita is a great saw, but will still be more like 400 Euro, not 180 like the Ryobi one.. it's usually about 700 or so. Axminster are out of stock at the moment, but they them there last week, I got one and it's great..

I don't know what the Ryobi one would be like, but I know the Makita one is the business...

Anyway good luck with whichever one you go for.. they;re all pretty good if you're careful how you cut and all that..

I hope this message doesn't annoy you.. but Axminster are doing the Makita LS1013 for nearly half price at the moment...

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID/EII/product-Makita-LS1013-260mm-Slide-Mitre-Saw-819689.htm

The Makita is a great saw, but will still be more like 400 Euro, not 180 like the Ryobi one.. it's usually about 700 or so. Axminster are out of stock at the moment, but they them there last week, I got one and it's great..

I don't know what the Ryobi one would be like, but I know the Makita one is the business...

Anyway good luck with whichever one you go for.. they;re all pretty good if you're careful how you cut and all that..

Thanks for that. I really like makita tools and you've wrecked my head! It does look like a nice bit of kit..
    Still thou, It's a lot of money for something I won't use that often..
    I'll have to see..

Is the laser function any use on these or is it a gimmick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've a small Dewalt which has given good service and is accurate and easy to adjust. My father has a Hitachi saw and was never happy with it from day one- innacurate and not as good build quality. Might be worth stretching your budget if you can at all, you'll find the work for it!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help!

I'm looking into the makita!!

I know it's a fair bit (i.e. over double the budget) but i suppose It's a good offer and a quality machine.

I've read a good few reviews and they all rave about it!

My credit card is telling me ryobi!! But my head my heart is on the makita now!!!

Hi,

Postage (€86) from that site seems to be very high for me (total price €490)??

In the mean time, I found this http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Makita%20Mitre%20Saws&product=54031

Delivered it comes out at 420 and you get a free drill driver too. (I'll sell that to offset some of the expense!!)

I've emailed them to see if they would throw in the site radio or the stand for it, instead of the drill...

AH this thread is worse than bargain alerts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

dont buy the ryobi! its the biggest heap of crap ever i bought one and the shaft cracked and the blade came out!! got a replacement and after 2 months the shaft wore and the blade became loose then i got a third which seemed good till the laser gave up and the motor started burning. i will never buy them again and on top of all this ryobi had terrible customer care and they just didnt care.

cork2 wrote: »
    dont buy the ryobi! its the biggest heap of crap ever i bought one and the shaft cracked and the blade came out!! got a replacement and after 2 months the shaft wore and the blade became loose then i got a third which seemed good till the laser gave up and the motor started burning. i will never buy them again and on top of all this ryobi had terrible customer care and they just didnt care.

Thanks for your review!

I'm waiting for lawson his.co.uk to get back to me to see if it's possible to swap the drill for a stand!

I'd say I'll defo go for the makita, seen it in a shop here, except for nearly €800 :eek:

Well all,

I bit the bullet and ordered the Makita LS1013 off Lawson His in the UK.

I also got a free Maktec by Makita 18V drill driver, as that's a deal at the minute.

Total Price was £366 or around €420 including delivery and VAT.

I think it's a great price and many thanks for the advice and tip off about this model.

Hope is all goes well and I'll report back when I get it!

Fair play to you sounds like great value there with a free 18v screw gun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

That's a steal at that price, I don't think you'll be disappointed with that bit of kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I have one of those Ryobi's, havent given it any serious use, but I have it a year now and its still going grand. The blade that comes with it is absolute rubbish, so I'd imagine some might get a bad impression of the saw from using the supplied blade. Ditch this and get a qulaity blade and you'll notice the difference.

But, then in saying that my main mitre saw is an Aldi 8" Power Craft saw that I have mounted pernamently in a mitre station. Its about 6 or 7 year old, gotten a heck of a lot of use and still going strong. It was a saw from the time that Aldi supplied tools of some quality, they've gone downhill rapid now I believe! Got a Freud blade for this and a little fiddling about and she's grand! :)

Still though, wouldnt mind one of those Makita's!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

The Makita is a good saw.

Now it's time to think about building a stand for it. :D

The Makita is a good saw.

Now it's time to think about building a stand for it. :D

Cheers, Yes does anyone have a picture of any stands that they built?

Anything you wish you had of done or any advice?

Will update re saw tomorrow (slight complication but should be here tomorrow!)

• Advertisement

Well folks!

Just a quick recap,

Ordered the 110V LS1013 (with free drill) off www.Lawson-His.co.uk

They emailed me the next day, informing me that the 110V was out of stock and makita had reincreased their prices and weren't willing to help them out. So, They said they could send me the LS1013 240V or the LS1214 110V for a bit extra.

I went for the LS1214 (12 inch). The total cost was €454 but this is a never to be had deal again!!!!

Alan from lawson-his updated me every day on the process of the order and sorted the problem out from start to finish! It really was super cutomer service!

Now here's whats arrived!! Feast your eyes on these puppies!!

img6233v.jpg

Maikta LS 1214 L model (12 inch with Laser)

img6240u.jpg

My free 18V Drill, all helps!

Wait for it.....

img6235t.jpg

:D:D:D Makita Lit-ion cordless jig saw....

It's just turned out super for me and I'll only ever buy my tools off lawson-his.co.uk for their shear customer service and helping me out on this one!

I cut down some pitch pine today as I'm making a small bedroom side table. The cut is amazing on it and it would make you want to use it.

Here's the pics. All cut using the LS 1214L

img6220x.jpg

Original Piece, picked two bits up €5

img6253v.jpg

img6251rt.jpg

All in all, one very happy customer!! :D:D

www.lawson-his.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Jesus what a steal for that price! Hope your happy with it. Throw up pics in the future of things you make with it! Happy happy cutting!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Looks like a very nice machine. :) Good luck with it.
    Did you get the jigsaw free too? Great deal if you did.

Bicky wrote: »
    Looks like a very nice machine. :) Good luck with it.
    Did you get the jigsaw free too? Great deal if you did.

Yeah the jigsaw was included in the price :D:D:D Didn't expect it to be there at all!

Will post up pics next week when i'm finished..

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kingchip

Brilliant deal well done. Was the jigsaw part of the deal or do you think they made a mistake? There 300 to buy. Great chopsaw as well but be careful , there notorious for growing legs. Company I used to work for bought 10 of them for a big job and by the end of it there where 4 of them left :D

Advertisement