Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork's Rudest Bar Staff? ***MOD WARNING POST #87***

Options
  • 05-04-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Has anyone encountered really rude barstaff in Cork City? Had an unpleasant experience recently in The Pavillion on Carey's Lane. An undertone of scowliness, drinks flung at you and no please or thank you. It was early evening, the place wasn't busy, so no excuses there. And this hasn't been the first time either. Anybody else had bad experiences here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I think the bar staff in the Brog can be fairly mean. I love it there (no abuse please and no I don't smell ..... that bad..... ;) ) but some of the staff go out of their way not to serve you. One member of the staff repeatedly asks me for ID despite seeing me in there very regularly! Bouncers and manager are super nice though!

My way to deal with rude people is just to be really sweet back. People like that just want to piss you off or just don't care. Don't let them bring down your buzz! :):):)

EDIT---

Really sorry I saw "rude bar staff" and just went on a rant! Sorry! I haven't had any bad experiences in the Pav but haven't been in a few years. TBH maybe it's the way some people see it? I see it as they are very busy and have to deal with lots of inebriated @rseholes.

I'm not saying it's right, but I can see why they're being surly b@stards. :D Try not to let it get to you. Easier said than done I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Has anyone encountered really rude barstaff in Cork City? Had an unpleasant experience recently in The Pavillion on Carey's Lane. An undertone of scowliness, drinks flung at you and no please or thank you. It was early evening, the place wasn't busy, so no excuses there. And this hasn't been the first time either. Anybody else had bad experiences here?

Have to agree. Rudest staff member I ever came across was in The Pavillion. Ordered a pint of guinness and a wine - bloke went off making coffees for the person who had ordered before and when finished that, which took the best part of 5 minutes or so came, back to the bar, took another order and casually asked "What was it you wanted again?" in other words hadn't even bothered to begin guinness. I told him to cancel the pint, I'd have a wine instead as I didn't feel like waiting an age again. Told me to "Lose the attitude…". I said I didn't mine was the attitude that needed changing, left and never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

NoDice wrote: »
    I think the bar staff in the Brog can be fairly mean. I love it there (no abuse please and no I don't smell ..... that bad..... ;) ) but some of the staff go out of their way not to serve you. One member of the staff repeatedly asks me for ID despite seeing me in there very regularly! Bouncers and manager are super nice though!

My way to deal with rude people is just to be really sweet back. People like that just want to piss you off or just don't care. Don't let them bring down your buzz! :):):)

Yeah while i wouldn't be the biggest fan of the Bróg but still go there a lot, most of the bouncers are legends. Especially when you've pretty much lived there for the summer:pac: they are great for a chat. And yeah the bar people in there are really slow and just seem to randomly pick people to serve instead of by who was actually queued there first.
    And don't get me started on the bouncers in reardens. Notorious for just been downright ignorant.

evilivor wrote: »
    Have to agree. Rudest staff member I ever came across was in The Pavillion. Ordered a pint of guinness and a wine - bloke went off making coffees for the person who had ordered before and when finished that, which took the best part of 5 minutes or so came, back to the bar, took another order and casually asked "What was it you wanted again?" in other words hadn't even bothered to begin guinness. I told him to cancel the pint, I'd have a wine instead as I didn't feel like waiting an age again. Told me to "Lose the attitude…". I said I didn't mine was the attitude that needed changing, left and never went back.

Wow that's awful. What a pr1ck! Did you say it to a bouncer or anyone? I'd have complained but I don't think it'd make a difference. I worked in a bar before and yeah I had a few bad days but always kept on top of orders and smiled like I was four again and it was Christmas Eve!! :D

The bar man was more than likely having a bad day. TBH I wouldn't stop going to a bar just because of the service. Like I said I have had some awful experiences with the service in the Brog but i don't let it stop me. I get my drink (eventually after the bar maid has had her ridiculously long chat and then rummaging through my bag preparing for when she demands my passport for ID purposes.. :mad:) and have a laugh with my friends. Feck them! At the end of the day they have to clean up after you! ;)

Yeah while i wouldn't be the biggest fan of the Bróg but still go there a lot, most of the bouncers are legends. Especially when you've pretty much lived there for the summer:pac: they are great for a chat. And yeah the bar people in there are really slow and just seem to randomly pick people to serve instead of by who was actually queued there first.

And don't get me started on the bouncers in reardens. Notorious for just been downright ignorant.

Yeah I always complain when I'm in the Brog but I just love the atmosphere and the music in there, and as you said you have some laugh with the bouncers! :)

I think bouncers in Cork are notorious for being the worst are they not?

• Advertisement

NoDice wrote: »
    Yeah I always complain when I'm in the Brog but I just love the atmosphere and the music in there, and as you said you have some laugh with the bouncers! :)

I think bouncers in Cork are notorious for being the worst are they not?

Yeah its the one thing everybody comments on when they come to cork for a night out. While there are a good few legends out there there just seems to be a high percentage of bouncers who just want to be as awkward as possible.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Ban-Super-Bouncers-in-Cork/287022679508?ref=ts

One of the managers from work was leaving for Canada and was having a party in the Bailey. I was at the last game of the six nations and got in town really late. Bouncer wouldn't let me in saying i was too young bla bla bla and started taking the piss. I mentioned the reason i looked tired was because i just got off a plane and he started making jokes with the other bouncer about it. He said the only way i was getting in that night was if i had the match ticket and flight tickets to prove it and told me to go away.

*Out came my boarding pass and match ticket and i wasn't long shutting him up :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Cyril Squirrel

While it's never acceptable to be rude, imo, I could understand it if the place had been busy. It wasn't though and it seemed that both staff were going out of their way to be rude. This has happened here before, to me and other friends. There are plenty other great bars in the city for the quiet, polite pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I'm not to sure if it's still open as this happened years ago in a place on Tuckey St. called Bar Rumba, we were there early on a Friday evening just after sitting down drinking our pints when up walks one of the staff (not a bouncer) throws money on the table,picks up the pints,orders us out and not to come back again.
    If he had a reason or even if he asked us to drink up and go I would have been ok with it but he didn't.

cork45 wrote: »
    I'm not to sure if it's still open as this happened years ago in a place on Tuckey St. called Bar Rumba, we were there early on a Friday evening just after sitting down drinking our pints when up walks one of the staff (not a bouncer) throws money on the table,picks up the pints,orders us out and not to come back again.
    If he had a reason or even if he asked us to drink up and go I would have been ok with it but he didn't.

Apart from that being really ignorant and rude its really weird for something like that to happen. Had they any reason at all to make ye leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Apart from that being really ignorant and rude its really weird for something like that to happen. Had they any reason at all to make ye leave?

Absolutely none, if they did I wouldn't have had a problem I would have got up and left straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Has anyone encountered really rude barstaff in Cork City?

I saw that and commented upon same ... "No, XXX in always like that, aren't you XXX?" said my friend and regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Tom Barry's has not been mentioned yet?! They can be right ***** in there sometimes and feel that IDing needs to be mandatory even though there is not a hope in hell I look under 21 and definitely not under 18.

I never had problems with the Reardens bouncers, the Bailey has rejected some of my buddies before though so they are on my blacklist. Other than that I have had no real experiences.

That being said, in London I have yet to be asked for ID and I have yet to think "Oh I am heading out tonight, better check first where I will be going before I decide what shoes I need to wear in order to get in". It is so much more relaxed over here when going out than back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Yeah while i wouldn't be the biggest fan of the Bróg but still go there a lot, most of the bouncers are legends.

Really have to agree with that, there is one guy there who knows a group of us and anything we are in the queue for freakscene gives us an auld smile, tells us "get in there lads...and get a haircut":p. He even got us out of trouble one night with another bouncer for something we didn't do.

Also gotta say that the bar people in the brog aren't the best, but don't spend enough time in there to let them piss me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Getting served in the Brog can be a right pain but I'd imagine if you're working in a busy bar keeping track of when people start lining up to order drinks is hard.

I've always found Reardens hard to get into. When I was 18 I was told it was over 21s, when I was 21 I was told it was over 23s. A while back I was in Mutton Lane having drinks with a friend one afternoon. I was wearing a football jersey but we were getting served. 6 pm rolls around and the barman tells me he won't serve me because I'm wearing a jersey. I went back to our table and put on my jumper and went back up to the bar.....and got served. Ridiculous! If I had been thinking I should have just walked out.

When I was living in Cardiff I never encountered any of this kind of rubbish. Being asked for ID was about the most hassle you would get. People would go out in fancy dress or do pub golf or pub tennis quite often, it just made things more fun. I'd like to see them try and do that in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I've noticed some of the staff in Tom Barry's can be a bit up their own ar*e.
    It's as if they feel if you are not in their clique of locals then they can be ignorant to you.
    Mind you I haven't been in the place in years so perhaps it has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

The staff at Tom Barry's are horrible - typical boho snobs really. I've never really had an issue with bar staff though they are pretty useless in the Brog. The staff at Reardans are good but the bouncers are another story....

All in all I think the pub/ club scene in Cork City is terrible, especially when compared to Dublin or Galway. Very bland, very aggressive and a-hole bouncers all over the shop.

Book a B&B in West Cork/ Kerry or sleep on a couch in Dublin. Way better!

I've never been to Reardans and I don't wish to go there either. The amount of times I've seen people turned away for the stupidest reasons and they've been waiting near half an hour in the freezing cold to get in. Typical bouncers on power trips.. :rolleyes:

On a lighter note, it's really just town too tbh. Out in Ballincollig the staff are super friendly in the bars out there! Well they were a few years ago, I haven't been out drinking there in the last year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Rude Bar staff? I could start listing countless ones. Some abysmal examples of staff in the pubs of cork city.

Worst example I can think was in the Quad last year. I went to the bar for a pint and saw one barman scanning the crowd for somebody to serve. I put up my hand and said "HELLO". He looked at me, asked "who the fcuk do you think you are you ignorant b@stard". Jaw dropping experience. I started throwing abuse back at him before one of the girls with us pulled me away from the bar in case i got kicked out...because that would have been terrible :rolleyes:

I will say one thing. I'd say many of the bouncers working in cork have been told by the bar owners to leave their ego exercising at home. Town has gotten very quiet and bar owners don't want to be turning away good business just to make some pr!ck of a bouncer feel like a hardman. I have seen a change in the bars i go to anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm sure it varies from night to night, but I was absolutely shocked by the rudeness of staff in Suas on one occasion I (unwillingly) attended it. I'm not a high-maintenance customer who requires phenomenal service, but the way they just blatantly ignored customers apart from regulars/their mates and had chats and banter amongst themselves rather than serving - wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

So far from what ive seen i think the crane lane has the nicest staff.
    nearly Always under pressure but polite and quick, ime sure there has benn exceptions but so far so good.

a few weeks ago i had a member of bar staff in the quad snap at me when ordering drinks. It was all rush,rush,rush just pull the money off us and fling out the drinks, However i cant really say anything much bad about the Quad. Nice bar and staff overall.

Reardon's really pissed me of recently though, Lined up for about twenty minutes the night before paddy's day and refused when i got to the door.
    Yes i was after a bit of drink, Just like nearly everyone else in the queue but what pissed me off was the fact that no one stopped me from joining the line.
    I know the industry and this type of approach is asking for trouble, They would want to get there act together. The only reason people go there is because Cork has very few alternatives.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm sure it varies from night to night, but I was absolutely shocked by the rudeness of staff in Suas on one occasion I (unwillingly) attended it. I'm not a high-maintenance customer who requires phenomenal service, but the way they just blatantly ignored customers apart from regulars/their mates and had chats and banter amongst themselves rather than serving - wtf?

yeah that happens in so many places and I agree with you that it varies from night to night.

I worked in a bar before and a select few(and always the same few) would do just as you said the staff in Suas did to you. I think it's rude and they're obv not adult enough to do their job properly. I told them to start serving asap and they did but only when told. Some staff are just lazy and you get that everywhere not just in bars...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Brian in the Hi-B

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Cyril Squirrel

Have nt been to the Hi B in years, but used to go there for the treatment he handed out!!
    Would nt consider myself high maintenance on customer care either Dudess, but it takes effort to be as rude as this pair in The Pav, unreal....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

reardons is in a league of its own i think!
    i think i mentioned it here before,while i was in college me and 3 of the lads went in for a pint (was afternoon due to us being students)

the place was completly empty i ordered a drink,straight away was asked for i.d,i took out my gardai id and was told "sorry we dont accept gardai id" i said what do you accept so? only passports and if memory serves a full driving licence:eek:
    i have no idea where they got this policy from,that was 5 or so years ago and i have never been back,i have been to pubs all over the place and have never had the same problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Reardans was on a night out after finishing exams , about 10 of us there started drinking in middle of day , got somethin to eat, we were getting one drink in every pub and moving on then , all 10 of us together all day , got to reardans early enough we knew not everyone would get in so we said if we get in great if you dont you dont , 10 people became 5 all of us in the same condition all after the same amount to drink . Just a bit annoying after every other pub left us in as a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

One of the guys in the Old Oak at lunchtime. I ordered a drink which they had to get from the stockroom so was told to sit down and they would drop it down to me.

Some middle age guy came down and slammed my drink in front of me and gave out to me for sitting down without my drink. It wasn't till the other man gave over and told him want happened that he stopped his ranting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Brian in the Hi-B
    Ah now... the place wouldn't be the same without Brian's rudeness - it's part of the experience of drinking there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Say what you want about Reardens people know how bad they are, how many times have people been queing for about a half hour only for a bunch of girls pull up in a taxi and walk straight in because they know Johnny on the door.

That place will never see a poor day, people still willingly paying 15quid to get in there in this day and age is a joke.

Dudess wrote: »
    Ah now... the place wouldn't be the same without Brian's rudeness - it's part of the experience of drinking there! :D

Yeah to be honest id say his eh "customer relations" is what actually brought most people back. Giving out when people only wanted minerals and no alcohol......the guys a legend :)

Oh on bad bar staff found some of them in the old oak a bit iffy sometimes although the ones upstairs in cyprus avenue are legends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Lest it is forgotten, Reardens is a cattle mart

Advertisement