Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork's Rudest Bar Staff? ***MOD WARNING POST #87***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

The door staff on reardens are a joke. I've never been stopped in there but everyone can see the ego exercising going on at the door there. They'll stop everybody they don't know for ID and then leave in any fit lookin bird. Give me a break ye morons, ye're never gonna pull em anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Reardans last sunday night. Was queueing with my friends, and chatting to two girls in front of us. They were smoking and before we knew it they were to the top of the queue. One of them threw her cig away and as she did, dropped her passport. They were nearly dragged from the queue. They werent drunk, and were about 30. Anyone can drop something, sober or not!
    I do think that a lot of bars tell the staff who they do or dont want in. Sometimes the bouncers would leave you in, then twenty minutes later someone else comes up and tells you to leave, happens to a friend of mine all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

What a lot of people don't know as well is that a lot of the bigger clubs and pubs have cameras at each entrance and the door bouncers have people telling them whether to leave someone in or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What a lot of people don't know aswell is that a lot of the bigger clubs and pubs have cameras at each entrance and the door bouncers have people telling them if to leave in or not.

Data Protection request should keep them busy!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Data Protection request should keep them busy!

Unless theyve overhauled the Data Protection act to cover voice transmissions that dont get recorded I doubt it would apply here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

castie wrote: »
    Unless theyve overhauled the Data Protection act to cover voice transmissions that dont get recorded I doubt it would apply here.

cameras covered under dp act. send your €6 and await a dvd within 40 days:p:pac:

corkcomp wrote: »
    cameras covered under dp act. send your €6 and await a dvd within 40 days:p:pac:

We could get a statistic of how many people are turned away from reardans on an average night.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

corkcomp wrote: »

They have no reasonable way to know what you look like or if that is you in the camera. Doubt youd get anything and it would get classed as an unreasonable request. Worth a shot though for the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

I never normally go into Reardens but we got stopped the last time going in the Washington St entrance. We walked round the other side of the building & got in there from the entrance opposite Cubins. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

They have to register themselves as a data controller and comply fully with the act. The purpose of the request is purely as a financial penalty to the cattle rustlers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I didn't think Reardens would turn away anyone - judging by the mile-long queues and the giant sardine can that is the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Reardans is a fair kip alright - a Cork version of Copper Face Jacks with a-hole bouncers.

As long as nurses, guards and GAAheads flock to hear Bog the Donkey, Big Generator or whoever, there willl be queues to hoover up the overspill!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Reardans is a fair kip alright - a Cork version of Copper Face Jacks with a-hole bouncers.

As long as nurses, guards and GAAheads flock to hear Bog the Donkey, Big Generator or whoever, there willl be queues to hoover up the overspill!!

Spot on. I've lived in Cork most of my life and the last time I was in Rearden's was over 6 years ago.

Was dragged to go the Havana's before Christmas.

Jokingly I said "I haven't been here for years" on the way in.

Bouncer calls after "You're not missing much!"

He was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Has anyone encountered really rude barstaff in Cork City? Had an unpleasant experience recently in The Pavillion on Carey's Lane. An undertone of scowliness, drinks flung at you and no please or thank you. It was early evening, the place wasn't busy, so no excuses there. And this hasn't been the first time either. Anybody else had bad experiences here?

The blonde girl working there should be dragged out and shot! The Pavillion always seems to have ****ty barstaff.

NoDice wrote: »
    I think the bar staff in the Brog can be fairly mean. I love it there (no abuse please and no I don't smell ..... that bad..... ;) )

You go to the brog but don't smell :confused::)
    The staff at Reardans are good but the bouncers are another story....

Rarely go to Reardens but the bouncers are the same as the HB ones as they rotate from what I have noticed, can't say I've ever had an issue with them
    Lest it is forgotten, Reardens is a cattle mart

Indeed, total muck savage pit

Yep :) As above.

The only incident I ever had was recently enough in The Raven, a glass collector dude opened one of the side windows, I asked him did he intend keeping it open as 'twas freezing, he said go somewhere else if you don't like it :eek:

Loads of people were cold so we kept on closing the window, he would then go outside and push it in again, 'twas well retarded. I was expecting him to set a bouncer or two on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Friday night......

Anyone else apprehensive given we've highlighted blatant misgivings about Cork City's nightlife, so not in the mood for bouncers.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Cyril Squirrel

Dermighty wrote: »
    The blonde girl working there should be dragged out and shot! The Pavillion always seems to have ****ty barstaff.
    She does seem to have a constant scowl on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

NoDice wrote: »

I think bouncers in Cork are notorious for being the worst are they not?
    Trust me when i say Limerick bouncers are ten times more ignorant - half of them seem to be jumped-up scumbags from Moyross. I find Cork doormen to be very reasonable for the most part.

As for rude bar staff, i dont like saying it, because normally i never have any problems in there, but i had a bad experience in Costigans last Monday night week. I ordered a Budvar and a packet of crisps. Barman gives me a bottle of Pivo 1795 (similar to, but not Budvar) and then goes off for ten mins to train in some new staff member before finally returning with my crisps. I asked him to turn up the soccer match on the tv as the commentary was being drowned out by the music. Half an hour later he finally turned it up after i had given him few funny looks. Really poor service all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

grenache wrote: »

As for rude bar staff, i dont like saying it, because normally i never have any problems in there, but i had a bad experience in Costigans last Monday night week. I ordered a Budvar and a packet of crisps. Barman gives me a bottle of Pivo 1795 (similar to, but not Budvar) and then goes off for ten mins to train in some new staff member before finally returning with my crisps. I asked him to turn up the soccer match on the tv as the commentary was being drowned out by the music. Half an hour later he finally turned it up after i had given him few funny looks. Really poor service all round.

you should have pulled him up over the beer, otherwise he will continue to believe customers will accept anything he throws at them. again I think Costigans may be one of those bars where the bar staff feel they are too cool for school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Interesting thead, on the bouncers in Havannas I remember one night being out with my flatmate, both of us sober and the bouncer making him remove his earing before he'd let him in :confused:. It struck me as nothing but bullying TBH. Think the bouncers in the Bailey aren't great either.

I suppose the bigger the business the worse the staff are likely to be as they don't have to make the effort they would in a small bar. Most of the places named are nothing short of factories, I think cork has lots of really nice bars too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

The female bouncer on the door in riordans, man she pisses me off!
    Everytime "after a few drinks are ya Bob?", "no trainers Bob", I'm like are you having a laugh, have you even looked at the footwear in town the last 5 years, half the ppl wear runners! Using my name(its not Bob :rolleyes:) really gets me too, the way she says it!

Never really had problem in the bailey, but recently my bro&friends got refused by a new bouncer claiming "regulars only", I mean come on, a city center pub on a saturday night!? Regulars wtf! even so my bro goes, what you class as regulars, we're here every week. He just got flusterd and the ol "right to refuse admission" came out...

One of the worst was a few years ago the tall baldy guy in long island, 4 of us walk up, "this is a cocktail bar lads", I said "ya?", he was refusing us because we were wearing tshirts(with collars) and not shirts!

Last point: when I gave up drink two years ago for lent I never had so much trouble getting in...I was accused of being drunk so many times, ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

babo9 wrote: »
    Last point: when I gave up drink two years ago for lent I never had so much trouble getting in...

'Is it cos I catholic?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

A while back I used to work for a little bit in Cork district court. We had our summer staff party and pretty much everyone went out for it so it was quite a big group. We tried to get into one of the bars mentioned in this thread and got refused. One of the group (he was a judge) demanded to see the manager. The manager came out and he told him the bouncer had refused almost the whole staff of Cork dc and hinted a certain bar's licence may have difficulties getting renewed :)......I'll leave you guess as to whether or not we got in in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

A while back I used to work for a little bit in Cork district court. We had our summer staff party and pretty much everyone went out for it so it was quite a big group. We tried to get into one of the bars mentioned in this thread and got refused. One of the group (he was a judge) demanded to see the manager. The manager came out and he told him the bouncer had refused almost the whole staff of Cork dc and hinted a certain bar's licence may have difficulties getting renewed :)......I'll leave you guess as to whether or not we got in in the end.

Abuse of power much?

Okay, I'll leave now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Dean820 wrote: »
    Abuse of power much?

Okay, I'll leave now.

Ya I know what you're saying but it was nice for once when the bouncers didn't get the last say.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

i'm a bouncer but not in cork city. I think the bouncers in cork are ridiculous. i liked the post above about the judge because this should happen them more. some of the stuff they do is just down right illegal!! like everyone being searched in a que outside havana's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

ondarack wrote: »
    i'm a bouncer but not in cork city. I think the bouncers in cork are ridiculous. i liked the post above about the judge because this should happen them more. some of the stuff they do is just down right illegal!! like everyone being searched in a que outside havana's!!

As a bouncer yourself you must know the rules.

It may be helpful to those of us on here if we knew what actual powers a bouncer has over patrons.

What can ye do and not do within the law?

x43r0 wrote: »
    As a bouncer yourself you must know the rules.

It may be helpful to those of us on here if we knew what actual powers a bouncer has over patrons.

What can ye do and not do within the law?

The thing about Havana's is though they ask you are you happy to be searched so if you say yes then its perfectly ok if i remember correctly....well as long as they do it professionally and stick to where they are supposed to. If you say no then you probably aren't getting in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

what the hell are they boncers searching for? Weapons? Drink? Drugs? I'd love to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

ondarack wrote: »

Then of course you know, being a bouncer that having a search policy is perfectly legal (AFAIK doormen are not allowed conduct 'random' searches, they may only search everyone or no one.)

x43r0, what rules would you like to know about?

I am not a bouncer now, but I used to be. (And did not work on Cork doors)

Advertisement