Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled....

Options
  • 05-04-2010 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

I have been a tenant for nearly 4 years and I have to say my landlord is great and gets things done when need be, but extremely unapproachable, kinda looks down his nose at me when asked about anything :(
    So before I ask him this can someone tell me if I'm within my rights to have this done...when I moved in 4 years ago the house was carpeted from top to bottom with some industrial carpet including bathrooms, the carpet was not in great shape back then so I had to buy big rugs and throw them over stains/marks etc....
    I have had the carpet cleaned professionally quite a few times but after wear and tear it's shabby looking now and has a musty stale smell from it, so much so I wont have anyone over to visit as it's rather embarrassing.
    I have already replaced the kitchen flooring but as I'm not working I can't afford to carpet the house....

Am i entitled to ask him to replace the carpet ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I think you are well within your rights. You rented an apartment with a carpet nice enough that you're not embarrassed by it when people visit. That is no longer the case and so the property is materially different to the one you agreed to with the landlord. It is also likely that part of the lease says something like the place must be "fit and habitable" or such like. Most people would agree that a carpet that is falling to pieces is not really fit, especially if it's causing you not to have friends around.

I would ask him politely first and only bring up the above if he gets stroppy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Have you got receitps, etc. to show him that you did actually have them cleaned professionally? It might help your case.

Advertisement