Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting back into rollerblading

Options
  • 05-04-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I used to do a good bit of inline skating, the days before skateparks.
    I was only at ramp and rail once but loved it.
    I'm older and wiser now so I am gonna start off building up the fitness on skates first.
    Then I may look at a few outdoor parks.
    Are all the indoor parks closed?
    Where are all the outdoor parks?
    Ice seen one in blanch but I wpuld rather start off on a quiet day so less people laugh at me splitting myself!
    Any rules in the parks? Helmets etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MarkMcD

http://www.goreyskateclub.com/skateparks.html

Here is a list of current and future skate parks, your blessed over in the east compared to the west :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

hey

Theres a park in santry now which is rather small and caters for skaters of all skillsets. Thursday nights is the OG/oldman session for roller bladers and while it is the chosen night for the more seasoned skater, its also the session to get back into the sport in. The idea behind the night is more social. the rippers are generally too young for the night (over 21's), so theres no need to push yourself if you are that way enclined.

If i was yourself, and tbh, im in the same boat - alot older and interested in the fitness side of things also, i wouldnt really care about the other people skating around and about making a fool of yourself. Because everyone falls. Just drop in and roll around.

As far as i know its only monkstown, which is open late and lit properly that you have to wear a helmet in. That wouldnt be a bad place to get back into it either.

Personally, i just went to sofd and skated the bowl in bushy . That'l really take it out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Maxthedm

I'm trying to find places to roller skate as well, preferably places that have a clear area (I'm staying away from ramps and such! Just practising skating for roller derby) and not many people around at certain times. I was in the swords skatepark today when there wasn't many people around so I didn't feel too worried about weaving between all the ramps.

What's the one in Santry? I heard Ramp City closed down but I've never been to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

@Maxthedm A lot of the girls skate in Phoenix Park once the weather gets better. Have you tried the roller discos yet? They're not ideal as the lights and the noise can be very distracting but, weaving in and out of teh kids flying everywhere can be very good for your agilty. :D It's expensive though, and sometimes it can get so crowded that you'll just want to run them over. Sat mornings are a good bet for peace and quiet and if you're lucky there might be someone there with some advice.

Advertisement