Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two dogs better than one?

Options
  • 05-04-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I recently got a pup. He's great, lively and effectionate. I'm filly committed to training him properly and we start puppy classes next week. A thought struck me today, a little bit like an only child, would it be better for the pup to have another dog companion? The other question is how much more committment does a second dog require, both financial and time wise? If I were to get a second dog I was thinking of a more mature dog. The dog I have already is a Yorkie Russell. I'd be looking for another small dog. Any advice??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yorkie Russell?.. A cross between a Yorkshire Terrier & a Jack Russell I take it?.

Well speaking from my own experience there is little difference in keeping two dogs as opposed to one, some things are obvious - like food will be twice the cost, as will Vet fee's.

If they get bored, and two dogs will get bored just as easily as one, they your looking at twice the destruction caused!. Your also looking at cleaning up twice the amount of poo.

Now thats the hard stuff out of the way.

Is it worth all that extra effort?.. IMO its worth every minute and penny of it, and although I make it sound double the chore, its not really - its double the love & fun of dog ownership.

And I really do believe that dogs make each other happier when kept as a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Whilst two are company for each other they won't entertain each other as much as you'd think. Pups and dogs at the end of the day prefer if their owner is with them and can both become bored even with two.

If you have the time, money etc. then I wouldn't see the harm enrolling the new one in puppy classes too. Perhaps one of similar size if your pup is a small breed it's just more practical, nothing against bigger and smaller dogs, I have them. But when they play rough larger dogs have to be watched like a hawk with smaller ones.

There is double the expense (pet insurance would be a good idea) some people find it difficult to walk two dogs at the same time, there can be jealousy issues etc. but any of these things may or may not happen it all depends on the dogs personality and training.

We have 3 dogs and although they do play with each other they much prefer one on one time, the parents dog that comes to visit is very tolerant and you couldn't get a better natured dog if you tried and even her nose gets out of joint when our lad pushes his luck.

Some dogs prefer one to one and some love the company of another dog, and a pup will be pretty easy to bond with another one they both just want to play.

So as said, if you can afford it and have the time and training etc. go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. It has to be better for the dogs too, to have a canine companion, rather than humans all the time. I'll need to get this puppy trained up a bit more first. Oh and yes a Yorkie Russell, I do mean a Yorkie crossed with a Jack Russell, so beautiful and full of energy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

If u do decide to get a friend wait until your guy is settled first. think a older dog would be better as they do advice never get 2 pups the same age as they will bond together and not with the owner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I think that 2 dogs is definitely better than 1, and 3 is better than 2! Actually I miss having 4 dogs, and can't wait to get more :D

It will be double the cost, but for me anyway it's no more effort than looking after one dog. Except that they can tangle each other up on walks, and there's more poo to clean up. Actually it's less effort because they help look after each other

My dogs love each other, they just spend all day cuddled up together, playing, or whatever. It makes me feel better about leaving them alone all day. I think dogs are happy in their own company, but they still obviously go mad when they get attention from people. They've also got lots of cats for company. I think almost all animals benefit from company of other animals, of the same species and other species (unless they're solitary animals) like my rabbits love watching cats coming and going all day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

i reckon 5 dogs is best - although pulls a bit on the arms and shoulders ;o) if you have the time and money i'd go for two, but as others have said let the first one settle in for a while first and get some training done.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

Ahem! Definately not 3 or 5 :). Before I got this pup, I had been thinking of getting two dogs. I'll definately wait until I get a handle on this one first ( he's in the "Terrible Twos" dog equivilant stage!) before Id think of another. My gut feeling was, that after all the walks n training with me, that they would do well to have another dog companion. Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Tootle wrote: »
    Yorkie Russell, I do mean a Yorkie crossed with a Jack Russell!!

Hey Tootle,

can you please post a pic, we recently got our second dog from the pound and we think he is a Yorkie/JRT so just want to see if there is a likeness!!

IMO second dog is a great idea, we had Tilly for a year and half before we got Ozzie. I have noticed that he is getting her bad habits so have to invest in a good trainer shortly I think. They are great company for each other, they sit on the couch for hours licking each other it is very sweet!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Two dogs ARE better than one!

We had our shih tzu(Buster) for nearly 18 months before we got our rottie(Milo).

Now, i know you might think that's quite the odd combination, but it's actually great, Milo is like a much larger version of Buster!:)

they copy everything eachother does!

two best friends!:)

Advertisement