Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayaking from scratch

• 05-04-2010 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just looking for some advice. I want to take up Kayaking in Waterford. I tried that open ones on holidays and had a ball. Is there a club I could go to try it out again and learn the basics? I'd prefer not to be spending 50 or 100 quid every time through a centre, but I wouldn't mind putting a few bob into learning the basics and buying a basic second hand open kayak. Does anyone here do it regularly? All tips or advice welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭kaymin

Trotter wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just looking for some advice. I want to take up Kayaking in Waterford. I tried that open ones on holidays and had a ball. Is there a club I could go to try it out again and learn the basics? I'd prefer not to be spending 50 or 100 quid every time through a centre, but I wouldn't mind putting a few bob into learning the basics and buying a basic second hand open kayak. Does anyone here do it regularly? All tips or advice welcome!

I've kayaked for 20 years or so.

Follow link below for a list of clubs around Ireland. 180 kayak club is probably closest to you.

http://www.canoe.ie/Information/ClubContactList/tabid/1259/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

My one tip would be not to buy those open kayaks - they're horrible to paddle and you'll grow out of them as soon as you learn the basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

take kaymins advice he,s totally right about the open kayaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Look up irishcanoekayak.com they run a lot of introductory courses to river kayaking and are based in Waterford though I think most of their introductory are run in wexford/carlow though. They also provide all the gear you'll need. After that join a club and get out as often as you can.

Also there's now a Canoeing and Kayaking forum here on boards under sports

p.s. And don't buy a sit on top that's not real paddlin' :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Trotter wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind putting a few bob into learning the basics and buying a basic second hand open kayak. Does anyone here do it regularly? All tips or advice welcome!

Dont buy one of those. They are for women and men who cant grow facial hair.

Seriously the 180 club is probably your closest club. WIT also have a fairly active club who run trips nearly every week which you could tag along with. Most gear can be gotten second hand for fairly cheap these days. Especially this time of year as people are selling older gear to fund their summer paddling abroad. Keep and eye on irishfreestyle.com for some great bargains.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Horribly timing for this thread. :(

Hope nobody above was involved in the accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Horribly timing for this thread. :(

Hope nobody above was involved in the accident.
    i know only heard this morning!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Its awful. Its a very popular hobby in Waterford. The emergency services did their very best but sometimes there's nothing they can do. Their poor families :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

not sure if this will help trotter but ive seen guys in the waterford crystal pool using kayaks doing rolls and practicing moves at 10pm on tuesday nights, i'm sure its the WIT club or something like that i'll ask the next night im out there if you like??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

hellfireie wrote: »
    not sure if this will help trotter but ive seen guys in the waterford crystal pool using kayaks doing rolls and practicing moves at 10pm on tuesday nights, i'm sure its the WIT club or something like that i'll ask the next night im out there if you like??

Sound! I think I'm in business though. I've plenty of info now and I'll check back if/when I've more questions!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

hellfireie wrote: »

yep tis the wit club

Advertisement