Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help in reading NCT results

• 05-04-2010 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

The car passed the test but I just have a few queries on the reading of the following results:-

1) Brake Test

- Front Axle - Nearside 3.570 kn Offside 3.050
    - Rear Axle - Nearside 1.980 Kn Offside 2.260
    - Parking Brake Nearside 1.560 Kn Offside 1.890

I take it this means one caliper/piston is performing better than the other side?

2) Ovality

- Front Axle - Nearside 8% Offside 19%
    - Rear Axle - Nearside 17% Offside 18%

What on earth does this mean??!!

3) Exhaust Emmissions

- Low Idle Co 0.41 vol% and in the limits column its stats that above 0.50% is a fail so at 0.41% its pretty near the limit.

What could be the reason or what exactly does it mean?

(The car is a 1.8 petrol 8v 1997 Laguna with 172k miles and serviced every 5k miles for the last 5 and half years and is not burning oil etc).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The car passed the test but I just have a few queries on the reading of the following results:-

1) Brake Test

- Front Axle - Nearside 3.570 kn Offside 3.050
    - Rear Axle - Nearside 1.980 Kn Offside 2.260
    - Parking Brake Nearside 1.560 Kn Offside 1.890
    There is some small imbalances there but it is nothing to be concerned about. The differences are minimal and if you were to repeat the brake tests a few times they would fluctuate.

2) Ovality

- Front Axle - Nearside 8% Offside 19%
    - Rear Axle - Nearside 17% Offside 18%

What on earth does this mean??!!

Ovality is as the name suggests a check on brake drums for trueness. If the drum has gone oval or a brake disc has warped this will show up here.

Can't help you with regards to the emissions, I only ever see diesels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Thanks Slidey.

What does the results of the ovality test on my car mean then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I'm not too sure of the tolerances TBH.

Once it has not failed I wouldn't be too concerned.

If there was an issue with ovailty you would probably be able to feel the vibration through the brake pedal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

High CO could be down to a failing cat if the lambda and HC are within limits.

There's no point worrying about a car that's just passed the nct - it's done it's job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

About the emissions you can have a read of this
    http://type2.com/s/?tag=exhaust

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Thanks lads. I'm not overly concerned (for the moment!) but it would be nice if the NCT did a leaflet explaining what the results mean etc so people could understand more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's where we, and your local mechanics come in handy :)

Advertisement