Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle could gain promotion tonight. Fair play to Hughton.

• 05-04-2010 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭

Newcastle United could win promotion tonight if they draw or win against Sheffield United. With promotion pretty much a foregone conclusion I thought a "fair play" type thread is in order.

I'm happy to see such a big club return to the premiership. Newcastle fans are amongst the most dedicated and knowledgeable around and I am glad for them to see their club back into the big time.

Chris Hughton has done tremendous since taking over the club which was a complete shambles at the time and completely in turmoil. There were even some fans left wondering if it would be Leeds all over again. He can be very proud of what he has achieved and I have little doubt he will do a good job next season for them too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

It's weird how little praise or attention Hughton is getting over this. Despite getting them promotion seemingly with ease, I was still seeing articles and blogs last week calling for the appointment of a better manager in the wake of the Taylor/Carrol thing. He really deserves some recognition for what's a fantastic achievement really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Yeah I hope for his sake he's given a chance at the top flight and they dont shaft him about by bringing someone else in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He deserves great praise for his work at the club. Even Middlesbrough struggled for a while in the Championship under Strachan this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Hopefully he's given the chance to prove himself as a premiership manager next season, he's gone about his job with minimum fuss which is quite a hard task at a club like newcastle so fair play to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

As a Newcastle fan, absolutely delighted how this season has panned out for us and much credit must go to Chris for pulling things together through thick and thin. We all know he may not be the most glamorous manager and bigger tests will come next season but he certainly deserves a shot in the Premiership. If he can dig out results and keep us away from relegation next season, I'll be happy and I hope if a few results don't go our way that we don't push the panic button and get rid of him for someone else, God knows we have a reputation for doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

It's weird how little praise or attention Hughton is getting over this. Despite getting them promotion seemingly with ease, I was still seeing articles and blogs last week calling for the appointment of a better manager in the wake of the Taylor/Carrol thing. He really deserves some recognition for what's a fantastic achievement really.

I think you may be overstating this issue slightly. I dont think the job he has done is being belittled by anyone. He took a club in freefall and stabalised it initially and very quickly got a team used to loosing, winning, albeit at a different level. Pre season for Newcastle was a complete joke. Players and fans were in limbo while we waited and waited to see if the club would be sold. No one could be brought in or sold. My players were itching to get out and it showed. Our 6-1 defeat to Leyton Orient seemed to be the pivotal moment in Hughtons career! There he grasped the bull by the horns and sat everyone down and basically said if you dont want to be here then piss off!

The outcome of the meeting lead to the formation of a players committee, composed of senior players who wanted to stay,liaise with Hughton on team selection/training etc. Another master stoke by Hughton, the senior players now on board we could push on

All of this went on while Shearers shadow was looming. All the time Hughton conducted himself with dignity and a positively amazing calmness. With Ashley eventually "committing" himself to Newcastle and obviously trying to save some money Hughton became the obvious solution and was given the job. Most Newcastle fans were disappointed by the appointment, many wanted to see Shearer in charge. I for one was not exactly delighted but was not too keen on Shearer either.

The season started quite well for Chris. We were organised well and with the players we have that was usually enough to pick up a point or 3. We gathered momentum up till the Christmas period and were well clear. A wobble around Christmas. Since then We have frankly looked unstoppable. Even while playing badly we managed to grind out results. Our injuries issues over the last few seasons also seemed to miraculously disappear!

Chirs won manager of the month awards on several occastions and have no doubt he will be named manager of the season. I think all Newcastle fans can see the great job that Hughton has done the question however still remains, can he step up to premier league standard and can he attract players? Time will tell. I presume he will be kept on for next season, that may be reviewed if we are struggling badly around November.

....but thats next season, for now Well done Chris! Toon have been promoted and will most likely win the league. Not man toon fans would have forecast this outcome and the vast majority of the credit has to go to Hughton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

It's great to see him doing so well I'm delighted for him. Terrific person as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

M5 wrote: »
    I think you may be overstating this issue slightly. I dont think the job he has done is being belittled by anyone.

Can't remember where I saw the article, but I do remember a particularly scathing one that basically said he should be sacked now because he handled the Taylor-Carrol affair badly. I'm sure it's a small contingent, but there does seem to be an element of fans/media (not sure which tbh) who seem to hold something against him, perhaps simply because he could be seen as 'Ashley's man' I guess.

But the main thing is that the mainstream media just seem to ignore him. I guess it's just because he's such an understated character, but good or bad, his contributions seem to be completely overlooked. I've seen much more inches given to the Ipswich, Boro, QPR, Palace and Reading than Newcastle over the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Things were looking grim at the start of the new season and a few of my mates reckoned we'd become the new "Leeds". Hughton has been the ultimate proffessional and has done a terrific job! Can't wait for tonight! Nice thread op!

Can't remember where I saw the article, but I do remember a particularly scathing one that basically said he should be sacked now because he handled the Taylor-Carrol affair badly. I'm sure it's a small contingent, but there does seem to be an element of fans/media (not sure which tbh) who seem to hold something against him, perhaps simply because he could be seen as 'Ashley's man' I guess.

But the main thing is that the mainstream media just seem to ignore him. I guess it's just because he's such an understated character, but good or bad, his contributions seem to be completely overlooked. I've seen much more inches given to the Ipswich, Boro, QPR, Palace and Reading than Newcastle over the season.

tabloid tattle! There are one or two journos who cant resist, all well known to NUFC fans

• Advertisement

Promotion confirmed, here is what Chrish has had to say
    "This is a wonderful achievement and we are absolutely delighted.

"That we have secured promotion with six games to spare is testament to this set of players and how good a season they've had.

"This is what we've been building towards all season and I'm delighted for everyone associated with the club.

"But we've got a game in less than half an hour's time and one we very much want to win.

"Our focus now is on that because we want to celebrate promotion with victory in front of our magnificent fans."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i really hope Newcastle fans don't start calling for Hughtons head at the first sign of trouble next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Sincerely doubt they will, he must be their new messiah at this stage. Keep them up next year, and hes done the first part of his job. Anything better than that is a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think they will call for his head as soon as things start to get tough. I see him going the way of Ricky Sbragia. I hope not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

it will be great to see them back in the Prem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Get the fúck lads!! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

I like Chris because of his modesty and 'get the job done' approach. We've lacked one of them since Bobby Robson. Delighted to be up. Thanks Chris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Fair play Chris, he's been waiting long enough for a proper shot and now he's showing his class!

I'm hoping he gets a fair crack of the whip in the Prem now.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Fair play Chris, he's been waiting long enough for a proper shot and now he's showing his class!

I'm hoping he gets a fair crack of the whip in the Prem now.

Im sure he wont be stuck for a job any time soon, even if he is unfortunate enough to get the boot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He did a good job but I'd be pretty worried about him with him managing them in the premiership next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Fair play Chris Hughton and Newcastle United. Despite the horrendous way in which the club has been managed and the unreal amount of lack of communication we have managed to get the job done on the pitch and haven't let off the pitch matters affect us at all.

As great as it is getting promoted back to the Premier League, we can't take the foot off the gas yet. We should be aiming to win the title and I don't see us not winning it to be honest.

It's been such a tough season in terms of the amount of games we've had to play and fair play to the lads for getting on with it despite the busy fixture list.

In so many years I've not seen a Newcastle side as dedicated to the cause as this group of players has shown throughout the season.

There's a great bond between the players and management and we need to keep that going for the rest of the campaign and for next season.

Congratulations lads and well done Chris on salvaging a sinking ship and then some.

I think they will call for his head as soon as things start to get tough. I see him going the way of Ricky Sbragia. I hope not though.

Like Ricky he was a reluctant manager but this promotion will give him tremendous confidence. He seems to have the midas touch with this group.

Just think back to last year, if Andy Carroll and Stephen Taylor had a bust up then, the turmoil and media frenzy it would have caused the club would have irreparable implications on the players and their ambitions. Instead they have a crucial must win game - who got the winner, Andy Carroll! Hughton has changed the culture of the club and for that i applaud him.
    He has turned them into battlers and without changing the footballing philosophy of the club.
    Quodos Chris :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Who would have thought only a few months into a successful season at Newcastle this would happen. :mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement