Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth Drowned

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

SoCo2009 wrote: »
    Another person went in yesterday?? :eek:

Lads whats going on? Thats so many people who have went in in the last few months. One of the lucky ones is right.

I know Search and Rescue do an unbelievable job but would it not make sense to have a someone posted along the river in town at all times, a lifeguard of sorts? Or is it a case of they don't have the resources to do so?

AFAIK there are detailed Media guidelines on reporting these in an effort to minimise copy-cat scenarios.

- If I wasn't on here I'd never hear of most of them & as it is they are happening almost weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

I was involved in the rescue of the man that went in at Poormans Kilkee yesterday. I was on a bus on Sarsfield Bridge and saw him dive in, I immediately asked the driver to let me out but he wouldn't until we got as far as the junction with Henry Street and realised I wasn't telling porkies as o
    I was on the phone with the fire brigade. I ran to the scene, tripping on the way and cutting myself. When I got there I threw a lifebuoy into him, which he grabbed hold of while floating on his back. Another bystander assisted in pulling him in close to the quay wall. About one minute before the fire brigade arrived he left go of the buoy and turned over on his stomach, face down in the water. The other bystander took off his shoes and prepared to jump in, the fire brigade arrived at that stage thankfully and were not long getting him out to a waiting ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    I was involved in the rescue of the man that went in at Poormans Kilkee yesterday.

Well done you and all the others involved in this rescue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    I was involved in the rescue of the man that went in at Poormans Kilkee yesterday. I was on a bus on Sarsfield Bridge and saw him dive in, I immediately asked the driver to let me out but he wouldn't until we got as far as the junction with Henry Street and realised I wasn't telling porkies as o
    I was on the phone with the fire brigade. I ran to the scene, tripping on the way and cutting myself. When I got there I threw a lifebuoy into him, which he grabbed hold of while floating on his back. Another bystander assisted in pulling him in close to the quay wall. About one minute before the fire brigade arrived he left go of the buoy and turned over on his stomach, face down in the water. The other bystander took off his shoes and prepared to jump in, the fire brigade arrived at that stage thankfully and were not long getting him out to a waiting ambulance.

Fair play to you. Its great to hear a story with a happy ending. I hope the man involved gets all the help he needs and can overcome his difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

A customer who i served today told me another person had gone into the river down by the skateboard park on steamboat quay around 4pm today. Certainly ambulances and two fire brigades went flying through the city centre at around that time. He said two guards from Henry St were seen running along the quay trying to get to the person.

Did anyone hear anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Not from Limerick myself but saw this on the frontpage. Always sad to hear about people have it so hard that it leads them to take their own lives, whether it be in your locality or somehwere in the country its always something devastating to hear. R.I.P to to man in question and condolences to the family. Have experienced this within my own family do i know how they must be feeling at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Well done jmccoy1.
    Important lesson for anyone who sees this anywhere.
    Call for help
    Throw lifeboy

Anyone who jumps in after someone is only putting there own life in danger (currents are too strong)

Its very sad people have been going into shannon forever (think its more publicised due to internet) There is a problem with depression + suicide in ireland and hopefully these people will get the help they need with their illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

grenache wrote: »
    A customer who i served today told me another person had gone into the river down by the skateboard park on steamboat quay around 4pm today. Certainly ambulances and two fire brigades went flying through the city centre at around that time. He said two guards from Henry St were seen running along the quay trying to get to the person.

Did anyone hear anything else?

I passed by Arthurs Quay Park at around 8pm and there was firemen in diving gear just leaving the scene. An ambulance also left with no sirens on.
    Don't know what this means though.

Did someone defo go in?

3 in one week?? Surely this is not right??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Three brand spanking new jetski's on the river with Rescue decals (and personnel) on them. Don't know if they're Fire Service or Limerick Marine S&R but it's good to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

Excellent news!!

Where will these be located/stored??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

concussion wrote: »
    Three brand spanking new jetski's on the river with Rescue decals (and personnel) on them. Don't know if they're Fire Service or Limerick Marine S&R but it's good to see them.

Thats great news :)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

The Jet Skis are run by Limerick Marine Search & Rescue. AFAIK they were donated to LMSR a few weeks ago.
    There is also some issue with the Limerick Fire Brigade that they debate they should have some water vehicles as well as the equipment run by LMSR as they are first to the scene of a water accident and should respond with the proper equipment. Well done to all involved in these rescues. They deserve all the equipment they can get if it helps reduce the number of fatalities in our rivers.

Advertisement