Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL French Oral - No Document

Options
  • 05-04-2010 4:25pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have my oral in a week, but I don't yet have a document and I'm considering doing it without one (Although I'm aiming for a high grade)

is this a bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I'm considering this too. My ReviseWise French says "Students who have a document get better marks. It is a fact." Suppose it is ~3 minutes you can absolutely nail as long as you prepare for EVERY possibility...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

You don't have to bring in one. And (afaik) you can't be marked down forr not having one.

The reason it's more likely you'll do better with one is that you will have something you can talk about, to a high enough standard, for around 5 minutes. It will also help you to relax into the oral a bit giving you more confidence.

I don't see why you wouldn't just prepare one this week, it's not too hard, and the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Last year when I did the LC, I never really thought of doing the document till about a few days before the oral. In the end I did. I took a photo of my Spanish host family and I learnt how to describe the family members, talked about my exchange and cultural differences between Ireland and Spain. It's doable. I managed to practise with my French teacher 3 days before my oral, and it still went really well. I was pretty much asked those things. Remember you control the conversation. In the end I managed to get an A1.

If you're up for it, I'd say good for it. If you need any advice feel free to PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

what kind of stuff do ya talk about?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I didn't have one and it didn't do me any harm. I've heard of some people bringing in documents where the examiner barely spent 30 seconds talking about them. If you're good you'll get good marks, document or no document.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I brought one in last year, which admittedly was probably slightly too difficult given my level of French, but it kinda screwed me over. I answered all the normal questions without any bother at all, and then choked when she asked me slightly different questions than I'd prepared, about it.

If you think you can talk for the whole time then there's no real need to bring one in. However, if you're less confident, bringing something simple enough like a photo of your family in, which you could probably answer most questions on easily, would be helpful. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

My teacher's making me bring one in, she says it's better to have one. I don't see how it's a disadvantage not to have one but i'll take her word for it. We had to stand infront of the class and answers questions on it and she would ask us really random questions to get us prepared. Some people are doing it on global warming, smoking and things like that but I though it was easier to do it on my hobby because I already know about it. She also said it's better to have multiple pictures but in the end do what ever you feel comfortable with : )

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

it doesn't matter at all
    I wish I didn't have a document!
    its just hassle and it leaves you open to abstract questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

irish_man wrote: »
    I wish I didn't have a document!
    its just hassle and it leaves you open to abstract questions.

you can't be forced to use a document. Even if your teacher is watching ye going in to make sure ye have yer documents, just stuff it in your pocket and leave it there. I don't imagine the examiner will spread eagle ye up against the wall looking for a doc

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Imo, I think it's a bit late now to do one up. Although if you ever went to France on an exchange or a holiday I'd advise to use that, I hear they love if you have a "French" document... Otherwise I wouldn't be too pushed, in that there's only less than a week till it begins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

I'm not doing a document and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. My teacher said that if it's not interesting or unique then the examiner will just get bored and maybe ask abstract questions, I'd prefer to just prepare some topics and the usual questions properly and go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The document is not compulsory but I strongly recommend it. My teacher told us that it will be 3mins where you will be able to talk about something you know really well, this is particularly helpful if you are a weaker student.

Advertisement