Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blocking a website

• 05-04-2010 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

not sure if im in the right forum but is there any way to block a website from my laptop....embarassingly its facebook, i need to study

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Download whatever files for you need for study and print them, then turn off your PC/Laptop and internet connection and go sit at a table?

If you block a website using some software its just as easy to unblock it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Configure your router for OpenDNS (www.opendns.org)

Set up filtering on your ip address

Add Facebook to the Black list, allow all other domains/categories

If you have a dynamic IP address install the IP updater program

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

You can block a site using your browser (e.g., In content filtering on IE8). Some security suites can be used to block sites (e.g., KIS2010 filtering).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

get your HOSTS file to point an address to 127.0.0.1 is another one less likely (after you've closed the hosts file) to go trawling again for it.

still nothing beats just hitting that big button with a 320 degree circle with a vertical line on it (power button).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Best way is to edit the hosts file on your computer, or even better, your router.
    # Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    #      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
    #       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    #    127.0.0.1       localhost
    #    ::1             localhost
    127.0.0.1        facebook.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭big_show

Another option is if your using google chrome,

get the StayFocused extension you can set it to give you 10minutes or

whatever a day on certain websites and it blocks them once the 10minutes are

up! I find it great for driving me back to what i was originally looking for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

spam facebook to bits and they will block your ip addy, problem sorted and not easy to rectify = loadza study!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

spam facebook to bits and they will block your ip addy, problem sorted and not easy to rectify = loadza study!!

If your IP is dynamic won't you be unbanned? unless it's a MAC address ban or something along the lines.

Advertisement