Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing old putty on exterior windows

• 05-04-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

what is the best (and cheapest) product for this?
    I am not talking so much about replacing the glass as replacing old ,cracked putty that is lettting in water.
    I have realised that putty is not worth bothering with (at first I used it because it could be repainted)
    So it would be one of the silicon (or similar) mastic tubes.
    But what might be a good brand (or type) to get that would do a good job without necessarily being the most expensive (some of those tubes can be almost 20 euros)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

geordief wrote: »
    what is the best (and cheapest) product for this?
    I am not talking so much about replacing the glass as replacing old ,cracked putty that is lettting in water.
    I have realised that putty is not worth bothering with (at first I used it because it could be repainted)
    So it would be one of the silicon (or similar) mastic tubes.
    But what might be a good brand (or type) to get that would do a good job without necessarily being the most expensive (some of those tubes can be almost 20 euros)

As far as I am aware if you want to paint mastic it has to be acrylic not silicone, but I have never used it in place of putty so I have no idea if it would work. Trial and error I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Linseed putty. As much as I like modern sealants, I would still use this on old wooden window frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

cnocbui wrote: »
    Linseed putty. As much as I like modern sealants, I would still use this on old wooden window frames.

Woukd you still use putty if you were not actually changing the pane but just reparing the old cracked and leaking putty?
    Maybe it is down to my handiwork but I have not been very successful over the years with putty and came to the conclusion that putty is only successful if it is used when nactually putting in a new window ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

geordief wrote: »
    Woukd you still use putty if you were not actually changing the pane but just reparing the old cracked and leaking putty?
    Maybe it is down to my handiwork but I have not been very successful over the years with putty and came to the conclusion that putty is only successful if it is used when nactually putting in a new window ...

I would agree entirely with cnobui. I would always (and have always) used linseed putty as it gives by far the best finish. Mastics are a devil to spread smoothly, and I am inclined to doubt how long they would last on window frames exposed to the weather. When I use putty I ensure that the window frame recesses are clean and dry, and I then brush them with either linseed oil or white spirit to give the putty a good key. The last time I replaced any deteriorated putty was at least ten years ago, and it's still as good as new.;)

Advertisement