Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadly Premonition (Red Seeds Profile)

Options
  • 05-04-2010 5:30pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I noticed this game getting a lot of positive feedback from the hardcore crowd. IGN gave it a 2/10 but they are idiots while other publications like 1up have been saying that it's flawed but also one of the most compelling and brilliant games this generation with an excellent narrative with heavy influence from Twin Peaks and a persistent sandbox world. U'm really interested in getting this game but haven't the money at the moment. Has anyone tried it?

It was released recently in america for 20 dollars but it's 360 only and not region free. However it seems that the game more than likely isn't coming to europe. However the asian (not japanese) version of the game, under the name of Red Seeds Profile, on the PS3 is region free and has an english language option. However it's going for pretty steep prices on import sites (around 80 dollars or 50-55 euros for a budget game)

Anyway here's some links:

Deadly Premonition in Engish

http://www.destructoid.com/play-deadly-premonition-in-english-on-your-ps3-164837.phtml

1up review

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3178205

I'd love to get my hands on this game because it seems like a really unique experience and a good look into the future of what games can become even if it's very flawed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Giantbomb will be posting vids of their "endurance run" if you'd like to spoil the game for yourself (or just have no interest in playing it).

http://www.giantbomb.com/endurance-run-deadly-premonition-part-br-01/17-2280/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

So Sterling's review was totally genuine then? Hmm

I checked some gameplay footage and it looked hilariously bad, but the 1up review makes it sound interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just read it and it seems to be. The guys at hardcore gaming 101 absolutely love the game as well for the same reasons, it'sjust bat **** insane but knows it is. It kind of reminds me of Global Defence Force, another japanese budget game. By all intents and purposes it should be rubbish but it's just so much fun you can forgive everything else.

Here's the destructoid review we are talking about:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-deadly-premonition-165168.phtml

I think it's well worth taking a chance on myself and will try and get it if I manage to get some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭ongarite

The GiantBomb endurance run of the game has just started and is absolutely brilliant as its being done by 2 of the teams at the same time.
    Everything about the game from graphics, animation, story and narrative looks so so bad but maybe some people just like crap stuff.

http://www.giantbomb.com/endurance-run-deadly-premonition-part-br-01/17-2280/

http://www.giantbomb.com/endurance-run-deadly-premonition-part-vj-01/17-2281/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really hope that is true but if it isn't HG101 did a translation guide to make the game perfectly playable and understandable.

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2010/06/deadly-premonition-for-japanese-players.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some of the imagery in the trailer is crazy graphic and disturbing. In a good way though, psychological rather than gore. Looks like one of those strange, low budget gems that are increasingly rare these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Was looking to get my hands on this till I read the words "game breaking" and "restart" and "reload save" I was fully prepared to make up my own mind on it but those things got me super worried :(

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Will buy 2 copies if they localise the 360 version, one for me and another for my girlfriend.

<3 Deadly Premonition. Swery is an awesome, crazy dude.

calex71 wrote: »
    Was looking to get my hands on this till I read the words "game breaking" and "restart" and "reload save" I was fully prepared to make up my own mind on it but those things got me super worried :(

Where did you read this? I heard there are bugs but no game breaking ones?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Where did you read this? I heard there are bugs but no game breaking ones?

Sorry it was a while back , had to have been in one of the english reviews though, just remember hearing about the game, thinking wow that sounds ace then seeing those remarks.

If it was the case that those comments are false I would 100% give it a shot , could care less aobut the other comments regards graphics etc. Even the videos didn't put me off.

It's finally coming to europe!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-11-deadly-premonition-coming-to-europe

Thank god, I was going to put down 80 euros for the japanese version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭dor83

You can pre-order it on play for €25.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Shame every part outside of dialogue and cutscenes (i.e. the bits you 'play') seems kinda like torture. :D

Suppose some of those parts could be a case of "so terrible it's hilarious".

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Time for my girlfriend and I to bully all our friends into buying copies.

Fnz wrote: »
    Shame every part outside of dialogue and cutscenes (i.e. the bits you 'play') seems kinda like torture. :D

Suppose some of those parts could be a case of "so terrible it's hilarious".

The way I imagine it it's like Silent Hill 2. That had some pretty bad gameplay but the narrative makes it one of the best games ever made. I heard the story, dialogue and acting (particularly York) are excellent in this and it might seem ridiculous but supposedly it comes together beautifully in the end.

Also I heard if you do the sidequests for the radio and infinite ammo weapons it makes the whole game a lot more tolerable. The only bad parts are some of the annoying enemies in combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭dor83

I decided to pre order this with sendit.com, it's £16 and thats the cheapest I have seen.

I don't know if you've watched much of the Giantbomb playthrough, Retro, but the 'gameplay' bits are absolutely atrocious.
    It's just a constant grind through samey areas fighting the exact same, bullet-sponge enemies over and over.
    One enemy in particular takes something like 30 minutes to kill and shows up constantly during the second half of the game.

The writing is ok. Some of the more important plot elements aren't really explained very well. The voice acting is good for a game, even if the delivery is very stilted.

The last boss is one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen in a game. I won't spoil it.

I'll still pick it up myself, mind. I like York and his infinite wisdom regarding random 80s movie trivia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Mindkiller wrote: »
    One enemy in particular takes something like 30 minutes to kill and shows up constantly during the second half of the game.
    In fairness, once they found out how to kill her, they worked out a rhythm (Jeff/Vinny did at least) and were able to kill her quickly enough.

Even though I've seen the game from start to finish twice, I might pick it up to see just how bad the the controls are :D

I've heard about one of the enemies that is really annoying but have also heard that if you do the side missions and get the infinite ammo flame thrower and other weapons the game becomes a lot more enjoyable since you can enjoy the rest of the game a lot more, these weapons can be gotten very early in the game and not getting these weapns and the radio which allows you to jumo to previous locations makes the game much more annoying. To be honest this game interests me far more than any other game out this year because it actually does soemthing different. I heard for all the annoying combat there'smore than enough moments of genius to compensate. It kind of reminds me of Silent Hill 2. It's not a great game but the story, atmosphere and experience make up for it. I can't wait!

• Advertisement

It's out tomorrow. I rang Gamestop Santry and they said they haven't got it on their system. I had a feeling nobody would stock it. Anyone know where to get it or will I have to get it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I'll be doing a ring around a few shops tomorrow. HMV and Game in tallaght. Doubt most places would have it unfortunatly. Too bad gamesnash didn't/couldn't get it.

Letme know how it goes even though they are a bit too southside for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm really curious about this game, but they're releasing it on the same day as RB3 which isn't good :pac: Will pick it up in the new year if it is going cheap, although this sounds like the sort of game destined to retail oblivion already.

You might as well get it, it's a dirt cheap budget release not full price and the way things are going it's going to be one of those games that's worth 80 euros 6-12 months down the line.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You might as well get it, it's a dirt cheap budget release not full price and the way things are going it's going to be one of those games that's worth 80 euros 6-12 months down the line.

Hmm, I'll have a look in town while I'm in there tomorrow, if it's really cheap I might just get it. Alas, probably won't have time to play it for a while though, going away for two months tends to get in the way of gaming time!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

I'm a big Twin Peaks fan so I think I'll be buying a copy of this by the end of the year to satisy my curiosity. Remember the early trailer from when it was called Rainy Woods? :D

The official price listing on play.com at the moment is 25.49 euro, which is good value for what's supposed to be a 20+ hour game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I heard Shane Bettenhausen saying that it was quite like Shenmue, if that's the case I'm in.

Went ahead and ordered it in Zavvi for around 18 euros including delivery. Pity, I wanted to be playing it on Halloween night but sure if the irish shops don't want my money so be it. Assassins Creed 2 is going for peanuts there as well. Might get it next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

GAME in Blanch only got 2 copies. I bought one of them (34.99), so one left.

Though seeing retro's post I'm tempted to return it and get it off Zavvi instead.

Advertisement