Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadly Premonition (Red Seeds Profile)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

This game inspired me to slog through Twin Peaks and for the life of me I cannot understand what the appeal to it was.

I guess it doesn't help that I consider most of Lynch's stuff to be crap in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

HMV on grafton st has a good few copies, for 30e. Picked one up earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

HMV Blanch had 4 copies for 29.99 when I was in on Friday. Loving it so far, story is really unique for games. Only bad things are the inability to turn subtitles off and the oversensitivity of the driving controls. I'm actually surprised at how well done the shooting is, probably as I was expecting it to be dire based on reviews! The Edge review of [7] swayed me, but the 10/10 review from Destructoid on the cover is cheeky! "This game is so bad, it's not just become good. It's pretty close to perfect." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Yeah, 3 copies on the shelf in HMV Galway.
    Gamestop didn't have it in their system, and Game said they'd be getting it Tuesday. My copy is in the mail, hopefully there when I get home. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I got it for about €18.50 from BlahDVD.

It arrived through the letter box this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ordered mine there from Amazon (had vouchers) looking forward to playing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just a word of warning for people playing this and want to get the most enjoyment out of it. I've heard that the best thing to do is to do as soon as possible the sidequest to get the radio which saves on a lot of leg work, use a faq to find when it is available first. Also some enemies are really annoying and will frustrate you later in the game so it's best to do a few sidequests early on that will get you the super weapons with infinite ammo, flamethrower is supposedly very helpful, so you can get through the awkward combat and enjoy the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Been looking forward to this for ages, and it has disappointed!

Been looking forward to this for ages, and it has disappointed!
    Yeah well it's a pretty bad game. Most people who like it either like it ironically or are avid Twin Peaks fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just a word of warning for people playing this and want to get the most enjoyment out of it. I've heard that the best thing to do is to do as soon as possible the sidequest to get the radio which saves on a lot of leg work, use a faq to find when it is available first. Also some enemies are really annoying and will frustrate you later in the game so it's best to do a few sidequests early on that will get you the super weapons with infinite ammo, flamethrower is supposedly very helpful, so you can get through the awkward combat and enjoy the story.

Cool. I'll have a look for that. Also I recommend going to the junkyard and upgrading your car asap. Tis funny that York even calls it a piece of crap when you start chatting to the owner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Yeah well it's a pretty bad game. Most people who like it either like it ironically or are avid Twin Peaks fans.

It's not a bad game. It's an overly-ambitious game that's clunky in a few key areas. But it's biggest obstacle for many is that it's weird. Not bad, but weird.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I heard it all comes together in the end on a podcast but then that's hearsay. TBH I'm looking forward to it because it's something different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have a weird feeling David Lynch was walking around delivering free boxsets of Twin Peaks to developers a few years ago :pac: It's very odd to have two games inspired by what is an almost two decade old series in the same year. Not that it's a bad thing, given its showing a bit of narrative variety in gaming (perhaps 'inspired by...' variety, but better than nothing). Just a bit of a weird coincidence.

One thing Deadly Premonition will never have, though, is an illogical David Bowie cameo.

Yeah, it makes no sense in context either.

I trust you mean alan wake for the other david lynch inspired game which imo did it rather badl, instead of being inspired it was just a series of homages and references thrown around willy nilly. At least DP seems to do it's own thing with the writing.

If anyone is interested Warning a huge podcast did an interview with SWERY in one of their podcasts and had the actor that did York to read his responses. It's ver detailed although it goes into spoiler territory but this section is marked and it tells you to turn it off in advance of the spoiler questions. Looking forward to hearing the rest when I finish it.

But it's biggest obstacle for many is that it's weird. Not bad, but weird.
    It's funny because that's the exact same defence David Lynch's fans make for his movies.

Anyway, the biggest obstacle for me personally is the fact that you fight the exact same enemies for hours on end in uninspired, bland-as-dishwater environments. The weirdness is not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd let this game away with murder if it were an official Twin Peaks game, but I fear I'd hate this, being an actual huge fan of Twin Peaks, if it just took inspiration from it and then went on to just suck.

Played a good bit of the game now and really loving it. The combat is the worst part about the game but it's perfectly playable and it's not broken, it can just get a little repetitive during the longer sections. Outside combat though it's great. Really not seeing the complaints about the car handling, sure it's not perfect but there are better cars later and it never gets in the way of the game. What really makes the game good is the quality of the writing and the voice acting is surprisingly good, and in places, especially York, exceptional. It's entertaining and often hilarious. Also the attention to detail is ridiculous at times and kind of strange when other parts of the game are lacking. It's definitely a unique experience, wouldn't you think so Zach?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Coincidentally, I am watching Twin Peaks at the moment. I don't think aping Lynch's style is bad; Mulholland Drive was one of the few great films released last decade and that's no mean feat with the competition from HBO and other TV networks during that time.

However, if the game does not work as a 'game', then there's no point playing or praising it; watch Twin Peaks instead. Looking forward to playing this though, and Fallout, when I have some spare time.

It has it's flaws since some gameplay decisions don't work but the moments that do work are fantastic and can surprise you. It's weird to explain but it's kind of like Silent Hill 2 or GTA 3. Silent Hill 2 didn't have the best gameplay at all but it's still an amazing expereince. GTA 3 was horribly broken and the combat didn't work but the game ended up being greater than a sum of it's parts. Even when the game gets bogged down in a long combat section I compelled to beat it to get to the good open world stuff and to mess around with it. For the price you can't really go wrong either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Difficulty based achievements that don't stack is super annoying :mad:

• Advertisement

Couldn't care less about achievements so not bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It has it's flaws since some gameplay decisions don't work but the moments that do work are fantastic and can surprise you. It's weird to explain but it's kind of like Silent Hill 2 or GTA 3. Silent Hill 2 didn't have the best gameplay at all but it's still an amazing expereince. GTA 3 was horribly broken and the combat didn't work but the game ended up being greater than a sum of it's parts. Even when the game gets bogged down in a long combat section I compelled to beat it to get to the good open world stuff and to mess around with it. For the price you can't really go wrong either.

Grand Theft Auto 3 was not broken; combat was dreck, but as its namesake implies, it was about stealing and driving vehicles. Silent Hill 2 was a great experience and barely just a 'game', but I did not go rushing out to buy or play Silent Hill 3 or 4 or even replay Silent Hill 2. And both those games are over/under nine years old, now. I hope that it does not make the same mistakes No More Heroes did, which is plant good characters and writing onto banal game mechanics.

I remember falling through the map plenty of times in GTA3 and a few other minor bugs.

As for the no more heroes thing well it is kind of that way and I did like No More Heroes for all it's flaws. I feel the open world stuff is alot more interesting here though. I can see people hating the game but well I find it far too fascinating to hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

I am only started the 3rd chapter now the first chapter was really slow but now i am loving this game would have payed 50 euro for it any day right now i am in work and all i want to do is go home to play it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just ordered it from Zavvi, €19 delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Does anyone know when you look at the Side Missions what the "Available" thing means?

Is this the time periods or is it the chapters?

For example:
    18. Part Time Job 1
    o Available: 2-4, 6-9, 12-16, 18
    o Host: Lilly Ingram

Advertisement