Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it really this easy to get an A in the Spanish Oral?

Options
  • 05-04-2010 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi. I've been studying Spanish outside school, and my grinds teacher has been preparing me really well for the oral for the last few months. Whenever I was practicing with her, she would start with more basic questions like, 'Tell me about your school', and then she would move on to more abstract questions like 'Do you think students should have part-time jobs?' and 'Do you think it is important to learn foreign languages at school?' etc. She said that was the kind of standard needed for the oral.

But my friend is studying Spanish in school, and she said that their teacher said that more or less everyone gets an A in the oral, unless you give all one-word answers. She said she's definitely going to get an A, even though her Spanish is way worse than mine. She's done hardly any preparation for it. She can say her name, age, birthday, etc. and about her family and all, and a little bit about her plans for the future, but that's it. She has terrible grammar too. But she made it seem like they're more or less dying to give you marks.

I don't know which of the teachers is right. Is it easy to get an A in the spanish oral? Are the questions all really basic? Or is it more abstract like what I have been practicing? Do most people actually get As in the oral? Please help. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I don't know, but why lower yourself to that when you know you're able to do better and guarantee yourself a good mark!

And she's probably wrong. I mean it's not all that difficult to get an A, but by the sounds of it her standard wouldn't suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

The basic rule I would give you is that as long as you do not give one word answers, and develop the conversation-then you can say you're doing well in terms of communication. Bad grammar can still bring this down. If you take your time, and get used to self correcting yourself automatically you'll do fine.

The roleplay is also an advantage. If you prepare them all well, you can score high. The last random question is a bit of a hit or miss, but if you can say something relevant- you should be fine.

Buena suerte! Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 00ALXANDRA00

I'm doing my spanish oral next week and im preparing very well topics such as my school, my future,interests, hobbies, friends, my daily routine, what im doing this summer, what i did last summer, 4th yr, etc. im also going to have opinions on drink, drugs, environment, economy etc just in case.ive heard that spanish oral isnt as hard as french but i really think it depends on your examiner and how they are feeling/if they lke you. i think its easy enough to get a low B with average grammar and vocab but an A1 requires subjunctive eg. si tuviera más tiempo iría...,intonation and eye contact, especially in the role play, a smattering of sophisticated vocab. confidence helps. keep them interested and engaged. it sounds like your teacher is preparing you extremely well. i think you'll get an A1!:) good luck!

Advertisement