Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding photos in the style of Max Wanger

• 05-04-2010 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Am an amateur photographer. Have done two friends weddings, which turned out okay but I'm getting married this year and have fallen in love with the style of photography from Max Wanger www.maxwanger.com, simple, natural, different settings, really captures the emotion. I have searched all over for an Irish photographer who is doing something similar but to no avail. Just wondering if anyone knows someone who does similar photography. Thanks for your help. Will be getting married in Munster.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

THIS CHAP might be near enough for you. A nice guy with a nice style. Based in Waterford City.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Freddie59 wrote: »
    THIS CHAP might be near enough for you. A nice guy with a nice style. Based in Waterford City.:)

That's weird, I was just going to suggest him too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Check out www.savo.ie also in waterford. The photographer regularily posts here under the name os eas and is a lovely fella with a great portfolio and distinguished style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

thanks for the plug Rachel - I'm actually in Wicklow, not that it matters :)

OP - just out of curiosity, why not contact Max Wagner to see if he'll come for your wedding?

eas wrote: »
    thanks for the plug Rachel - I'm actually in Wicklow, not that it matters :)

OP - just out of curiosity, why not contact Max Wagner to see if he'll come for your wedding?

oops, I knew it was a W, heads not all there today, been working all day. I just thought your style would be a little similar to what the op was looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 CBRadio

Thanks a million guys for the replies. I've come across savo before. I do like his style and I have had a look at the other photographer too so thanks.
    I suppose what I don't really want is documentary style per se. I want it to be romantic and really beautiful images. Sometimes what I find with documentary style is that you lose some of the beauty of images because of a focus on realism and sometimes you get harsh images, cold and not flattering to the subjects.
    Maybe I'm just being too fussy but there are so many US photographers with a similar style to Max Wanger I can't believe it's not more popular here.

Some more examples:
    http://jonaspeterson.com/
    http://www.brionhopkins.com
    http://www.giacanali.com/index.php

Oh yeah and I did think of maybe contacting Max and asking him to consider coming over for the weddding, it's probably a pipe dream though with budget and everything else but no harm in trying :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

CBRadio wrote: »
    Thanks a million guys for the replies. I've come across savo before. I do like his style and I have had a look at the other photographer too so thanks.
    I suppose what I don't really want is documentary style per se. I want it to be romantic and really beautiful images. Sometimes what I find with documentary style is that you lose some of the beauty of images because of a focus on realism and sometimes you get harsh images, cold and not flattering to the subjects.
    Maybe I'm just being too fussy but there are so many US photographers with a similar style to Max Wanger I can't believe it's not more popular here.

Some more examples:
    http://jonaspeterson.com/
    http://www.brionhopkins.com
    http://www.giacanali.com/index.php

Personally I think that a good photographer will be able to produce what a client wants whether it is a style/look or certain set-up shots/locations.

For me the more specific a client is then it makes my job much simpler.

Borderfox wrote: »
    Personally I think that a good photographer will be able to produce what a client wants whether it is a style/look or certain set-up shots/locations.

For me the more specific a client is then it makes my job much simpler.

I agree to a degree but with such a specific way of pp in it too I think the op would be better off going with someone who has a portfolio of the exact style they want.

I dont agree, anything is possible

• Advertisement

Of course its possible but if you specifically want that exact style you want to be 100% sure you are going to get it, I mean you cant reshoot your wedding, one chance and one chance only. If it was a case where the op wanted some shots like this then yeah but a whole wedding done in a style not completely familiar to a photographer is a big enough chance.

I agree on STG on this - if you know what you want & have the budget it's best to go to someone who specializes in that style rather than a good all-rounder.

If they have the budget as was hinted above they can get the real thing but if not I feel it could be copied. Always possible to do an e-shoot with the couple and show them the result be taking on the wedding?

yeah, I know what you're saying. I guess in an ideal world we wouldn't need to make consolations, that's how it would feel to me if I was in that situation.

My point of view is if styles we're that easy to mimic we'd all be Yervant. :)

eas wrote: »
    yeah, I know what you're saying. I guess in an ideal world we wouldn't need to make consolations, that's how it would feel to me if I was in that situation.

My point of view is if styles we're that easy to mimic we'd all be Yervant. :)

He is amazing!

I dont think I'd take on a job where a client asked me to mimic another photographer. Its like saying they dont like the style presented to them and want something different. If they dont like the stytle of one photographer they should go to a photographer whos style they do like rather than asking one to copy the other.

Just devils advocate Rachel, what if they couldnt afford the other photographer?

If works comes in the door I take it.

Borderfox wrote: »
    Just devils advocate Rachel, what if they couldnt afford the other photographer?

If works comes in the door I take it.

I remember meeting eas once and him saying to me about how he wouldnt take work if people asked him for a different style to his own. Originally when starting out I thought, yes I'd take anything that come smy way but these days, honestly no.

Why wouldnt I? I enjoy what I do, I really really do, I interact with my clients, I have a laugh and I enjoy going to work, I dont feel under any pressure at all, I know what I can do and deliver on my promises. If I agreed to take on a different style I would feel under more pressure, although I would be happy to include a few shots of another style I would not want to do a once off whole wedding in the style of another photographer. I would feel under a huge amount of pressure and would not enjoy the job at all. Another time I would not take on a job would be if I really couldnt get along with the couple. I had one very early wedding where I just didnt gel and it made the whole job very very awkward. There needs to be a good social relationship with the photographer and clients in my opinion.

When I receive enquiries I ask the potential clients to view my work, I then say if they are happy with it to give me a shout and we can arrange a meeting. Usually they come back saying yes they want to book me. I always say to them well we will meet up within the next 2 weeks and go over all the details, if you are then happy we can go ahead and make the booking. I would rather a couple go elsewhere than book me if we could not get along as much as it is important for me to feel at ease during the day it is more important for the couple to enjoy their day than to work with a photographer they dont like.

It seems I have started a good debate :) In terms of asking a photographer to shoot in the style of someone else I don't think it's ideal. I've been looking at lots and lots of galleries and portfolios of Irish photographers and what I'm looking for is a photographer that has the style I'm after rather than one who could mimic it.
    It's even hard to describe the style to someone else to be honest, it's not just lighting or settings it's an approach they have.
    Thanks for the suggestions though and if you think of someone else just let me know.

You are also looking for a certain style of processing too. Taking the images in that style would be one thign but getting the processing to match exactly would be another thing.

It seems I have started a good debate :) In terms of asking a photographer to shoot in the style of someone else I don't think it's ideal. I've been looking at lots and lots of galleries and portfolios of Irish photographers and what I'm looking for is a photographer that has the style I'm after rather than one who could mimic it.
    It's even hard to describe the style to someone else to be honest, it's not just lighting or settings it's an approach they have.
    Thanks for the suggestions though and if you think of someone else just let me know.

Debate is a very healthy thing!! :)

• Advertisement

Oh yeah and I did think of maybe contacting Max and asking him to consider coming over for the weddding, it's probably a pipe dream though with budget and everything else but no harm in trying :)

Make a list of the most important aspects of your wedding day and take it from there. If photography is at the top of the list, ditch the cake & car hire and get Max over!

CBRadio, when the dust has settled and the dress is packed away, cake eaten and the day is only a distant memory each picture you look at will hold a moment for your whole life.

Very important to get the right person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

yearvant is good!! so are lots others (on here) - he's better at marketing than most tho!
    :)

Yervant is a big brand now, lovely work but then again having a team of retouchers takes a lot of hassle out of your hands to concentrate on the creative elements

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Better make sure he/she has a "licence" :D

Advertisement