Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I think a KFC would be where I would draw my "Better off on the Dole" line in the sand, Id imagine 8-12 hours a day for minimum wage in one of those places would do actual mental damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I'd just like to say I recently got a job in Galway in my field after going to college in Galway.

I'm great.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thargor wrote: »
    I think a KFC would be where I would draw my "Better off on the Dole" line in the sand, Id imagine 8-12 hours a day for minimum wage in one of those places would do actual mental damage.

So that's my problem then!

My youth (last 2 years of school, first 2 of university) included Maccas part time, and full time in holidays.

IMHO it's not so bad if you can see an escape route, and I certainly learnt valuable skills (eg the importance of having an excellent relationship with the roster manager!) During my best summer, I worked about 35 hours/week, over 5 days/nights. Lots of friends worked similar hours in 9-5 student worker jobs in government offices. They were bored and under-worked. I was busy, worked hard, and got to go outside in the daytime when it was sunny. And I ended up with about twice as much money as they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

The problem I've found with working fast food is two fold:

1) The food is like, RIGHT THERE. Tempting you. Smelling wonderful. I once gained 20 lbs in a summer. Screw that noise. I simply do not posess the self control.

2) The oil is like a mist in the air from the fryers. Oh, hi again acne, I'd thought you'd mainly gone away. (may have been somewhat caused by point one as well but the oil in the air didn't help!)

Other than that, I'd have no problem with it - and it's a lot more mentally stimulating than some jobs, believe it or not. But that's the reason I drew my line there in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I wouldn't mind the KFC set-up you know, I've worked in fast food and restaurants before, my only problem is that I couldnt work later than the last bus back into the city. Anyone know what the opening hours will be?

I desperately need a job in Galway for July and August, I'm still on Erasmus in Spain though so I can't go handing in CVs myself yet :( Also, I'm being picky because while I have loads of experience in waitressing, etc, that kind of job brings very unsociable hours, normally I wouldn't mind but the boyfriend works in Naas during the week and so if I was working over the whole weekend I would not get to see him at all. Ideally, I'd love a cafe like Griffins or something that'd leave my evenings free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

yeah, i'd love to get a job for the summer in galway but i don't know the likihood of getting one. anyone know of any job going anywhere? i'll take anything
    i'm just in first-year in NUIG but all the experience i have is 5 days work in PC world (from LCVP 2 years ago). bet that's makes me the most attractive candidate :P

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

There are jobs out there its just that there is a mountain of competition. Its best to get as many cvs out as quick as possible, the longer you leave it into the summer the more difficult it will be to get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭i.need.a.job

anybody know where i can get a job for the summer im really on my last legs at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

anybody know where i can get a job for the summer im really on my last legs at the moment
    Someone told me they were ringing around hotels etc. looking and everywhere said there was nothing apart from Claregalway Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

If you could give some info on what kind of thing you are looking for and how much experience you would have, that might help with the responses here.

Other than that, make sure you have a good CV, and hoof it around the city handing them over, make sure you try and give it into a manager. If its something like barwork, and you have no experience, offer to work for nothing for a night or two until you've got the hang of it - this worked for my bro lately. Also, use whatever contacts you/your family/your friends have, always useful. Keep an eye out for the Lydon House ads recruiting for the Galway Races, they also do the Oyster Festival and maybe a couple of other things, can be very useful to get into. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your help. I'm a beautician but finding it hard to get work because there is so many of us out of work and going for job interviews so I am looking for any kind of odd job for the summer until I can do a course or something in September. any type of bar work or clothes shops or anything. I supoze Ill print out my c.v. and go into town some day next week and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

Think I saw an ad in the window of the Skeff two days ago looking for staff....

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

Do you do facials? I used to get facials done before but it cost €70 for an hour. Maybe you could go private or call around to peoples houses doing it?

ya i used to do bits on the side about two years ago.. waxing and facials.. but just cant afford to get set up like that again (products etc) definatly will rethink and see what i can come up with .. theres always a way around something isnt there

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

Maybe you would think this was beneath you, but maybe advertise as like a cleaner for 50 euro for 4 hours?

A house full of lads wouldnt mind a woman to come in and clean once a week if it only cost them a tenner each.. Bit of hoovering, tidying about the joint etc etc... And you could squeeze in 2 houses a day if only 4 hours.

Also, its easy repeat business if you're good enough. Soon enough you'll be employing!!

Alternatively, you could offer your services to be the subject of a bukkake.. Whatever floats your boat

Edited to say: - You could still claim dole until your earning enough for it to keep you. Buy a seperate number though, you'll be plagued for years to come otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I believe you can claim the dole if you work up to 20 hours per week, though I'm open to correction on that. Also yellow card for uncalled for 'bukkake' remark, deleted some off topic posts.

Keep it on topic please all.

/moderation

I believe you can claim the dole if you work up to 20 hours per week, though I'm open to correction on that. Also yellow card for uncalled for 'bukkake' remark, deleted some off topic posts.

Keep it on topic please all.

/moderation

The bukkake was a joke about facials..

Which was made earlier. Wasnt a remark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

They are looking for waiters with 2+ years waitering experience in Da Roberta's in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes we get it, Tony.
    Every single thread about facials in this forum get guys making "jokes". Do you honestly think the girls giggle at this? I personally think they are quite revolted by it.

Ineedajob, also try to be proactive - send resumes out to companies that would suit, even if they're not hiring.
    Worst case scenario they bin the CV, best case scenario they hold on to the CV and might actually have something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I think I recall seeing an ad looking for beauticians in the knocknacarra beauty place above the pharmacy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I believe you can claim the dole if you work up to 20 hours per week, though I'm open to correction on that.

It's actually up to and including three days. Doesn't matter how many hours on those days, just not more than three of them.

However it gets more difficult if you are self-employed (eg doing private jobs in people's houses). Still possible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

If you set up privately at home or in others homes let me know please. Best of luck!

Well i know it may be taboo....

But i see nothing wrong with doing work extracurricular which the state doesnt know about and earning money from it, while still getting the dole.

If it is odd jobs, its not steady work, and it is much better than lounging around drinking. (Well, it's not, but you get what i mean)

I dont see a problem with it, as long as your not on 100k. If your earning another couple hundred euro to suppliment the dole, fair play to you.

Taboo or illegal?

200 support jobs with EA Games coming to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Well i know it may be taboo....

But i see nothing wrong with doing work extracurricular which the state doesnt know about and earning money from it, while still getting the dole.

If it is odd jobs, its not steady work, and it is much better than lounging around drinking. (Well, it's not, but you get what i mean)

I dont see a problem with it, as long as your not on 100k. If your earning another couple hundred euro to suppliment the dole, fair play to you.
    It's illegal, plain and simple. If you're able to get paid work over and above what's allowed under the various social welfare schemes then stop taking our money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

ya right - I say grab what you can get and forget the naive patriotism. Its a pity the govt didn't stop to think about "illegal" taking of money when they were fleecing the old and vulnerable in nursing homes for 30 years or more and then decided they were only giving a portion back.

grab what you can - and while you are doing it remember, you will never see a poor politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

JustMary wrote: »
    It's actually up to and including three days. Doesn't matter how many hours on those days, just not more than three of them.
    QUOTE]

Actually I'm fairly sure that if you work three 12 hour days in Boston Scientific for example and try and claim the dole they will rightfully tell you to shove it, as that is a fulltime job. I'm not sure how it works exactly with regards to days and hours but my partner works for social welfare (or social security these days) and we were actually talking about this yesterday night.

With regards to claiming the dole while working. I don't think it's something you should do while you have a job that pays you enough to live on (generally less than 100k) and if you work part time, claim for the rest, not the full rate. I can see that if you do the odd cash in hand job here and there you dont wanna go to social welfare about it every time. But from what I know, if you get caught you need to pay back what you owe but at the rate of a fiver per week which, if you're still on the dole, just comes from the government anyway, they just pay a fiver per week less:rolleyes:

Of course you can say the government are robbing people of their money too and they are, but this eye for an eye attitude isn't gonna make things better. Just put yourself in the position of the average tax payer, would you like it if everyone was like that?

"With regards to claiming the dole while working. I don't think it's something you should do while you have a job that pays you enough to live on"

a bit like claiming a pension while still working.

if there is an example to be set, let the govt set it - they got us all into this rut - let them get them out - let them lead by example - let's all not lie down and "play fair" while they get away with what they are doing - surely we have more fight in us than that. Or is it just the Old age pensioners that put up a fight in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

JustMary wrote: »

However it gets more difficult if you are self-employed (eg doing private jobs in people's houses). Still possible though.

So does that mean my gf who is a nurse workin 12 hour shifts 3 days a week can claim the dole then??? :P

• Advertisement

wow, we should all ask our bosses can we fit a weeks worth of work into three days so we can all go claim the dole.

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement