Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's is the attitude that ruins the country - everyone for themselves.
    Blaming politicians for one's own transgressions.
    "Sure everyone is doing it"...

Btw, this has strayed very far from the initial OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

jj72 wrote: »
    So does that mean my gf who is a nurse workin 12 hour shifts 3 days a week can claim the dole then??? :P

she would probably fail on the "available for and genuinely seeking work" condition, since she is already working full time hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

on the contrary biko - this is the mantra that runs a capitalist country. Surely you know this. Can't have it everyway. I say go for it - take advantage of your "capitalism" the way the government does and grab what you can ,when you can. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

The Hut hair salon are looking for people according to Galway Bay this morning.

www.barryshairstudio.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

Im working minimum wage, full time.

I travel 110 miles per day for the privilege.

Ergo, my fuel plus tolls = 120 per week = 1/3 of my wages.

Rent is another 1/3.

If someone tells me that they are working under the table, as well as on the dole, i reply "fair play", if i could get away with it, i would.

This is corruption on a minute scale compared with that which went on in the past 10 years. Its absolutely disgusting that me with 2 masters degree's is forced to do this due to the state of the economy, destroyed by corporate greed, and capitalist crony politicians.

I dont even blame Fianna Fail, in the good times, Fine Gael never said a word about it.

Anyways, on topic..... I think if you advertised cleaning services you'd do well at this time of year, with students moving out.

Im moving house this week, wouldnt mind someone in for a few hours to help me clean. I dont even have a brush or a mop, never mind rubber gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭grosser

I am a bit confused by comment from people whio agree with working and claiming dole at same time. Especially people who are working aswell.

Where do you think the money for social welfare payments comes from? it comes from the work force who pay taxes and prsi into the respective government coffers.I think if you are working and condone somone working while signing, you may as well have that person take the money straight out of your wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

grosser wrote: »
    I am a bit confused by comment from people whio agree with working and claiming dole at same time. Especially people who are working aswell.

Where do you think the money for social welfare payments comes from? it comes from the work force who pay taxes and prsi into the respective government coffers.I think if you are working and condone somone working while signing, you may as well have that person take the money straight out of your wallet.

I am a bit confused as well. While in principle I agree with the concept that you should not support your dole with working on the side, I think the reality is that a lot of people have to.

The reason I think it is ok is that it can probably in many cases keep people afloat rather than then going bust = in extreme extreme cases homelessness and possibly leading to increase in criminality (a bit sensationalist but in principle correct also).

The money earned as well don't magically disappear, they are being re-invested in the economy one way or another.

The argument that "just because white collar criminals/ government etc are bad does not make your actions right" is a bit strange. I don't think a few people working a bit "on the side" and not taxing for it in an economy with about 2 million working people is going to make any significant difference even if you put them all together compared to banks / government wasting billions an billions of Euro.

10.000 people making €80 / day on the side = approx 160K in lost taxes per day, it would take these 10000 people 20 years to cost the government a billion. Certain people have achieved the same, alone, in days or weeks.

On the job-front...I know a number of people with next to no education that started in McDonalds and are now in really good jobs due to the training provided there / climbing through the ranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

The Hut hair salon are looking for people according to Galway Bay this morning.

www.barryshairstudio.ie

Barrys hair studio is not The Hut:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

jj72 wrote: »
    So does that mean my gf who is a nurse workin 12 hour shifts 3 days a week can claim the dole then??? :P

Only if she can show that she's sustained a loss of full-time employment, and that she is actively looking for full-time employment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

biko wrote: »
    That's is the attitude that ruins the country - everyone for themselves.
    Blaming politicians for one's own transgressions.
    "Sure everyone is doing it"...

Btw, this has strayed very far from the initial OP.

+1.

There really is a feeling that the jobs market in galway is deflated. Dead. Thre's just no scope for improvement. Most of my unemployed mates here are long term now. It's depressing to think I may have to leave Galway to move on careerwise. Because it's really the only place in Ireland I want to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I was in the exact same boat as you op. just finished college and only had about 6 weeks worth of money in my account. the galway job scene is very depressing. the amount of rejections was disheartening but you gotta keep at it. just drop cvs in everywhere like i did and you will get something eventually. even if its not your ideal line of work. i applied for a job thinking there was no way i would get it. there is work out there you just have to put in the footwork first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I don't know where else to post this.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any jobs going in Galway.

I'd appreciate any information on the subject.

I'm thinking something close to minimum wage, just to sustain me for the summer.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

jenno86 wrote: »
    Yes.

Yes. You're as helpful as tits on a bull!

I'd search through the advertiser or keep an eye out in pubs/restaurant windows. Maybe coming up to the races and the arts festival there will be something going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Here's a recent thread on jobs in galway.

Another one from April.

Merged together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Saw jobs being advertised for waiters/waitresses for a cafe on abbeygate st.
    sign was at the cake shop in the galway shopping centre yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    Saw jobs being advertised for waiters/waitresses for a cafe on abbeygate st.
    sign was at the cake shop in the galway shopping centre yesterday

Same thing: Gourmet Tart have signs up for "Waiters and Waitresses, send CV to 7 Abbeygate St".

Interesting move on their part: I wonder if they're opening more of a cafe somewhere, their current stores only need shop assistants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SkylooksMad

Hey everyone.
    Any jobs goin' in Galway city?
    I was planning on moving there during the summer at some point but I'd need to get a job first to pay for rent.

I live in Meath right now but I'm headin' to Galway on monday to hand out CVs.

Anyone know of anywhere around the city that's hiring?

Any area of work is fine by me.
    Oh, except anything that involves me driving anything as I can't drive.
    :P

Thanks everyone.
    : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 hugsandkisses

Good luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

They're looking for waiters/waitresses in Mustard restaurant in the bridgemills, as far as I know.

Its just part time though.

Almost 5,000 applications were received by fast food restaurant company KFC for a total of 55 jobs when it initially announced its arrival in Galway
    ..the minute I put up the advert, I was inundated with CVs. They were coming from all sorts of backgrounds. I got architects and accountants, lawyers, electricians and even army people. You name it, I got it. The administration team had to help me for the best part of a week to sieve through all the CVs,” said Jenny Kenrick
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/13352-almost-5000-apply-jobs-new-fast-food-premises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

snubbleste wrote: »
    Almost 5,000 applications were received by fast food restaurant company KFC for a total of 55 jobs when it initially announced its arrival in Galway

http://www.galwaynews.ie/13352-almost-5000-apply-jobs-new-fast-food-premises

Today children we are going to learn about PR stunts.
    Repeat after me............. C is for Column inches.

I know mikom, it only occured to me afterwards, i be only learning trying to keep up with them spinmeisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

I've handed out about 12 Cvs and had no luck.
    I have a few years experience serving customers and still cant find one, i wonder is there any place that i could try even for a job for during the races or something as im going away t college next year and am completely broke.

Any suggestions welcome as to where i can find a job in galways city for the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I've handed out about 12 Cvs and had no luck.

par for the course, friend.

Get your CV proofread. Then photocopy it 100 times. Minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

Xiney wrote: »
    par for the course, friend.

Get your CV proofread. Then photocopy it 100 times. Minimum.

I've had my CV read by so many people because i've needed it for scholorships and stuff, but yes, i plan on photocopying the minute the leaving cert is over!
    Thanks for the reply!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Try Lydon House. They do catering for the races. They usually take on a lot of staff. Tough job but better than nothing! Best of luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement