Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭LowOdour

i know somebody looking for an apprenticeship (which will be part funded by FAS). To be honest, he would be interested in any kind of trade bar carpenter so if anybody knows of anyone taking any young fella on , could you pm me details of the person and their trade i would be most greatful.
    Ideally it would be the west of Galway.

I understand that this is a long shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Arent FAS about to be abolished now? Or will it be some time before it comes into affect?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Arent FAS about to be abolished now? Or will it be some time before it comes into affect?
    my bad, it should be Udaras na Gaeltachta instead of FAS....it is them that are funding it.

I should mention his preferred options would be painting & decorating or tiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe just go around the city and asking in the places personally?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Creganna are taking on a lot atm, merit medical are taking on a few, Celestica will be taking on 30/40 in December.

Things are looking good

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Krieg wrote: »
    Creganna are taking on a lot atm, merit medical are taking on a few, Celestica will be taking on 30/40 in December.

Things are looking good

What are you saying Krieg? Have we actually turned a corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

snubbleste wrote: »
    What are you saying Krieg? Have we actually turned a corner?

im my own personal opinion, yes. Feels like we are slowly getting ourselves back on track. Im aware of increasing dole numbers and the fact that it will take 3+ years until the economy is back to pre-2008 level. I personally dont know anyone who has been let go from their job in the last 6 months but I know plenty who have got themselves jobs in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I'm heading back to work shortly and the girl in for me while I was on maternity leave has found nothing since. What grinds schools etc are available in Galway city and county? I'd love to enquire for her and see could I get her something? Jobs seems to slim on the ground. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

http://www.iscoil.ie/ might be an option. They only hire fully qualified teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Is there any going around?

I put in a CV to all I could find today, walked around for about 4 hours.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

Do you have bar experience?

I've been in many bars :P Apart from that, not really.

CPs night club usually hire without experience although you may be put collecting glasses. Pay is sh1te, conditions are sh1te and you get treated like sh1te but if you need the money...

I hate being picky but I'm trying to keep out of the club and food scene unless I'm totally stuck. I can't imagine working in Supermacs at 2AM on a thursday night, I really have respect for people who do...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

i know someone looking for people for flyer distribution. dont think its guaranteed work and probably not alot of hours but every little helps

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭galwaynative

was in Currys today and they have an ad on the door looking for staff. Didn't take too much notice of what it said but might be worth a look for anyone looking for some work.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

i know someone looking for people for flyer distribution. dont think its guaranteed work and probably not alot of hours but every little helps

Hey, just wondering could yo pm me some details on that job if you get a chance, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I'm really struggling at the moment financially, I need to get my overdraft paid off sharpish but I don't have the time to get a proper part time job.

Is there any one off jobs going at all? Even if its just mowing grass, or flyers, or marketing anything really, I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

McDougal wrote: »
    CPs night club usually hire without experience although you may be put collecting glasses. Pay is sh1te, conditions are sh1te and you get treated like sh1te but if you need the money...

I would totally do it tbh....although throuhg what means do you get in contect with them?

Rob! wrote: »
    I would totally do it tbh....although throuhg what means do you get in contect with them?

email your CV

google CPs and you'll find email

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭phoenix99

does anyone know of any part-time bar work positions available?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Cuba were looking for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

http://www.halfordscareers.com/vacancies.php?area=storesSouthernIreland

Apologies if I'm dragging up this thread but there's jobs to be found

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

The Joke Shop, opposite Bank of Ireland are looking for flexible part time staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Eire celticbhoy

Id bite anyone s arm off for a job ill do anything im desprate for some money im a student trying to find a job ive done the whole of town but i ve heard nothing back. I would appreciate it if someone told me if they have a job or know where there is jobs just drop me a pm
    Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Like the poster above I am a mature student got no assistance returning to college,married and we are really struggling since I have come of the dole.
    I have a good cv,handed it into at least 40 premises in the city centre and no reply back.
    Not sure if i can continue in college as the missus is out of work and we are not eligible for rent allowance and no savings,will work at anything.
    If yee hear of a vacancy coming up could anyone pm me please.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

beagle001 wrote: »
    Like the poster above I am a mature student got no assistance returning to college,married and we are really struggling since I have come of the dole.
    I have a good cv,handed it into at least 40 premises in the city centre and no reply back.
    Not sure if i can continue in college as the missus is out of work and we are not eligible for rent allowance and no savings,will work at anything.
    Thanks

Try the Centra out in Ballybrit. You could try the likes of Smyths that would throw work around for the busy X-mas period.

How is your CV good? What is your main experience? How about Halfords which posted earlier? The Subway places around town frequently look for staff. Happy Days by Tesco usually look. Xtra Vision are looking for a manager. I saw a job I would hop all over but I'm already employed...might even give it a go anyway:

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1060664

I suspect this is going around the country providing demos of Microsoft Kinnect. Which would be pretty simple and they say they pay well and pay milage. Every 3rd weekend would suit someone in college to I expect

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You'll struggle I'm afraid: for most college-student type jobs, employers would rather a younger person who they can pay the youth wage too.

Just keep trying.

Personally I don't leave a CV anywhere unless they actually have a vacancy, it's just a waste of paper.

Also, see if you know anyone who knows anyone working in a temping company. Just applying to them won't work, you need a personal contact to get you in the door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

Thanks

Are you in NUIG? They run a hardship fund which can help students out-depending on circumstances you can get a few hundred up to a couple of grand. Comes in two payments normally Nov/Dec and Mar/Apr. Check it out with the mature student advisor wherever you are. Did you apply for a county council grant? If you haven't been in college before your entitled to claim it-but I don't know what your circumstances are.

I've seen barwork advertised around town. Cuba, Salthouse few other places but that was a couple of weeks ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement