Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was at WELL known club...which I won't mention. Do mention.

Options
  • 05-04-2010 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Regarding this thread
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055874885

Why don't people mention the club or pub they're moaning about?

If you've had a bad experience in a place, name it. What's the issue?

I was in the Forum in Monaghan last night, and it was ****e. Vodka and black was €5. What a shower of *****.

Wasn't that hard was it? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Simply because some comments can prove to be libelous.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

But it's the internet. Not a courtroom. If it's just general moaning about shoite, let rip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to Monaghan forum...is why.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Moved to Monaghan forum...is why.

Well done to you. That made no sense at all. This is obviously not a discussion about Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Because everyones experience of a night out is different, your crap night was a ripper for someone else, if you work in pubs/clubs you see it all the time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Because Boards could/would get sued and then have to shut down and the world would explode!!!

:eek:

*collapses*

The Aussie wrote: »
    Because everyones experience of a night out is different, your crap night was a ripper for someone else, if you work in pubs/clubs you see it all the time...

So? Who gives a toss if it was different. Doesn't mean you shouldn't name the place. That's just idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

Smyth wrote: »
    But it's the internet. Not a courtroom. If it's just general moaning about shoite, let rip.

You said it :rolleyes: I am not prepared to mention the name of the place, which is my choice, and the name of the nightclub/pub in question is beyond the point of what I was discussing, and does not make a difference. Why you decided to start a thread on it is beyond me :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Because Boards could/would get sued and then have to shut down and the world would explode!!!

:eek:

*collapses*

Haha. Well, not that that would happen if someone mentioned they had a ****e night out. Just to clarify, I'm talking about people saying "it was packed" or "drinks were overpriced".

I'm not talking about things which could prove libelous.

You can't get sued for saying you had a shoite night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I agree with you, but minidazzler is also right. Basically, if your business were competing against mine I could easily start undermining it on message boards.

• Advertisement

nicegirl wrote: »
    You said it :rolleyes: I am not prepared to mention the name of the place, which is my choice, and the name of the nightclub/pub in question is beyond the point of what I was discussing, and does not make a difference. Why you decided to start a thread on it is beyond me :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Of course it makes a difference. How does it not. If people are discussing something in particular, there's not much point in enshrouding it in mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Is Oasis still going up there in Carrickmacross? I had a great night there many years ago. I think it was the largest nightclub in Ireland at that time.

Dionysus wrote: »
    I agree with you, but minidazzler is also right. Basically, if your business were competing against mine I could easily start undermining it on message boards.

Another reason why I wouldn't mention the name of it OP. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Haha. Well, not that that would happen if someone mentioned they had a ****e night out. Just to clarify, I'm talking about people saying "it was packed" or "drinks were overpriced".

I'm not talking about things which could prove libelous.

You can't get sued for saying you had a shoite night.

True but I went to a pub last Friday and had a crappy night while the Friday before I was in same pub and had one of the best nights ever!

So the pub name doesn't really matter as such.

For example:
    If there is a mighty band on the place may become over packed and as a result people landing late will be annoyed and not have a good night as they can't get served at bar due to it being busy etc etc. Not the pubs fault that loads of folks like the band. Ya see?

Yup! This is also very true.
    Those sneaky competing business folk *shakes fist*

Of course it makes a difference. How does it not. If people are discussing something in particular, there's not much point in enshrouding it in mystery.

It makes no difference whatsoever whether I named the place in question or not. It was NOT the point of my thread posting the name of the place

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nehpets10

Well Boards.ie don't like it when you name and shame, although i doubt much can be done to you legally once you state your opinion and aren't making stuff up.

There was a court case about some woman who said something bad on Twitter about some company and to cut a vague story short: they lost the case, got tons of bad rep and learned about social media the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

There is no libel in a courtroom AFAIK, you can accuse a club of all sorts as long as you have some proof, if you lie then it's contempt of court and you can't be sued for libel.

This is the internet, and contrary to popular belief YOU are not anonymous, but boards are ultimately responsible for what you post here. So if you post something libelous then they will sell you out down the river if they get sued because of it. And rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

Is Oasis still going up there in Carrickmacross? I had a great night there many years ago. I think it was the largest nightclub in Ireland at that time.
    Nope finito :(

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

Nope finito :(

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

I dont see the problem in naming the place in question... its primarily the same as a review on some review site which is not liable to anything..

On a more important note, we finally got a 2 page thread on monaghan boards!! whoo hoooo!

Break out the champagne boys.. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement