Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to Canada/US?

• 05-04-2010 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

Hi all graduate here, fed up of not getting a proper job in Ireland and looking to leave it all behind and try life in one of the above countries for a year.

I don't plan to go til 2011 and at that point I will have graduated over 12 months ago, so I don't think I'll be able to get one of them USIT visas.

So what are my options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Hi all graduate here, fed up of not getting a proper job in Ireland and looking to leave it all behind and try life in one of the above countries for a year.

I don't plan to go til 2011 and at that point I will have graduated over 12 months ago, so I don't think I'll be able to get one of them USIT visas.

So what are my options?

Well you have a few options. You can still apply for the Canada U35 visa run by USIT. You can go for a year and work anywhere you want and at anything you want (save tobacco picking!). For the US you will need to be sponsored by an employer or alternatively you can go if you are still a recent graduate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Is the rule for the student visa that you have to be a recent (within 12 months) graduate from the date you apply, or is it from the date that you intend to travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 shtory

Intend to travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Crap that means I won't be eligible :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

That new US graduate visa thing is very restrictive. You only have 30 days to find a job and it has to be related to what you studied. I've read the uptake has been very poor. Canada just seems so much less hassle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement