Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Archos wifi 250gb

• 05-04-2010 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1505945/art/archos/wifi-250-gb-multimedia-pl.html

Thinking of buying this, anyone have one or can they tell something about archos because I have no experience of them. I already have a creative its only a 4gb mp4. I want something with lots of compatibility and big harddrive. It can be got for £222, and anything near this would cost a ton, but any and all alternatives are welcome, so thanks in advance for help..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Thats the old model FYI. The newer model runs Google Android, so you can install a lot of apps etc on it. Its also get better video support, and you don't need to buy so many 'plugins' for codecs etc. Other features too, GPS, radio, bluetooth. Obviously its more expensive so its a case of deciding what you want and what budget.

Anyay, in regards to the model you linked:
    Its a decent enough player. Although ive seen them cheaper. Amazon had the 120GB for £149 last week, and ive seen the 250GB for not much more. Keep an eye out and you'll do better than that pixmania price.

Issues:
    -You have to pay for a lot of codec support (one codec for AC3/MPEG-2, one codec for MP4/AAC/H.264, one codec for HD resolutions). Maybe €15 each, can't recall.
    -No longer supported with bug-fixes or updates (Archos dump their products as soon as a 'new model' comes out.
    -Crashes every now and then
    -They original shipping with a high-quality IPS display, at soome point they started sneaking lower-grade TN panels, so its kind of a crapshoot as to which you get.
    -Takes aeons to charge unless you buy an optional dock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I have never heard of someone satisfied with an Archos product.

Advertisement