Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8x10 colour paper in-camera negatives

• 05-04-2010 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭

As a follow up to : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055838270

I got a pile of Kodak RA4 paper and RA4 dev chemicals (using expired C-41 bleach and fix) to try and use the colour paper as a paper negative. It's a little more complicated than the B&W paper, it's heavily blue sensitive to be exposed under tungsten enlarger lamps, so it needs to be filtered to try and approximate daylight colour temp sensitivity. So first few shots below I filtered with an 85B to convert daylight into tungsten, and the recommended starting filter pack on the box of 65m 55y. For anyone not familiar with colour printing, you generally need to experiment with a colour filter pack to get the colour right on the print. Most colour enlargers have a dialable filter pack, I got a bunch of gel filters that I can put over the lens.

These two have been further corrected in post, haven't quite got the filtration down, they were originally too blue.
    Both willing victims the same as the last B&W set :D
    4493885015_3c82b8fe7a.jpg

4493865671_b642b37e48.jpg

Processing it is a PITA as it has to be done in complete darkness, with 5 trays the way I'm doing it. Lots of slopping around and dunking fingers into chemicals to be had ...

One more interesting point is that the paper is apparently sensitive to IR aswell. This is the red channel on the picture of my dad:

4493847717_410728652c.jpg

Anyone who's taken IR portraits will find that familiar. It means I have to get some sort of IR cut off filter to add to my filter pack aswell. A sort of anti-fenster filter :). It makes it next to impossible to actually get a proper colour balance at the moment, but it does impart an odd otherworldly air to the portraits ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I saw that! Don't think I didn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Daire Quinlan without doubt the biggest photo nerd around these parts. Great stuff Daire, you really are trying some fantastically crazy stuff and I like that you love delving into the hobby so deeply.

These are excellent portraits again but for me I can't imagine what will ever top your B&W's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Photo of you Dad looks the best here, but I like the softness in the photo of your sister. As Kintarō said, your B+W paper negs were just fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Chorcai wrote: »
    Photo of you Dad looks the best here, but I like the softness in the photo of your wife. As Kintarō said, your B+W paper negs were just fantastic.

Tis his sister! :eek:

Ah sure, tis Ireland. Tis easy to get confused.

• Advertisement

More seriously: I love the near infrared portrait. The tones are incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

he married his sister ?

Anyway he has my respect for what he is doing with photography..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Sorry about that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

sunny2004 wrote: »
    he married his sister ?

You see how quickly rumours get started ??!?

Sister:
    3193884649_50cceef4b6_m.jpg
    Wife:
    3534586688_bd8053a409_m.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You see how quickly rumours get started ??!?
    Sister:
    3534586688_bd8053a409_m.jpg
    Wife:
    3193884649_50cceef4b6_m.jpg
    i take it they're not shot on the paper camera?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i take it they're not shot on the paper camera?

Nope. One is Ektar, other one is Portra 800. Both 35mm

-edit-

oh ho ho, I see what you did there you scamp :D

i think it's funny the way this thread isn't attracting many responses, even though it (and the other one quoted above) i've mailed to more people than any other thread i've seen on boards. i imagine it's because people don't really have their own frame of reference for something like this. easier to comment on something you've experience of.

i think it's funny the way this thread isn't attracting many responses, even though it (and the other one quoted above) i've mailed to more people than any other thread i've seen on boards. i imagine it's because people don't really have their own frame of reference for something like this. easier to comment on something you've experience of.

I know, it confuses me too :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I didn't really ask for C&C, and I don't know what people actually WOULD C&C, given that it's about 90% technique and very little else involved, so most critique would be based on shortcomings of the approach itself. Of course working around the shortcomings and limitations of the technique is half the fun. I guess if people aren't actually interested in pursuing something similar themselves then all that's left to add is a thanks or a brief message which, don't get me wrong, I'm always happy to get :D
    I've tended to get a much better response with regard to interest in the actual technique on flickr and APUG to a lesser extent. There are more people who are actually doing something similar, or are interested in doing it.

But thanks for all the comments and thanks though, they're appreciated !

the b&w portrait of your dad on the other thread is one of the best portraits i've seen in ages, regardless of technique, so the method is obviously more than just an exercise in seeing what is possible.

Tried my reversal technique yesterday evening, this was shot at asa3, then put through a first (B&W) developer (ilford multigrade 1+9) and then re-exposed. After re-exposure it was put through the full RA-4 process. Luckily you can do this with the lights on, because this is it after 30 seconds or so when I snatched it out of the developer and dumped it into a water bath. Normally it'd go for 2 minutes.

As you can see the results are a little ... underwhelming. I have to experiment with the first developer. Fresh solution of multigrade dev at 1+4 maybe, or Dektol is another dev that people have had some success with.

4517773318_934836506b.jpg

As it turns out, it wasn't a complete loss. I got a neat B&W conversion out of it. I just additively blended all three channels.

4517150557_838af0f4e0.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

your one creative mofo

Advertisement