Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

KVM switch question?

• 05-04-2010 8:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I need to buy a KVM switch and I wonder is it possible to get one which does what I want.

In the bedroom I have a Medion PC connected to my TV and I am not getting as much use out of this new PC as I'd like and it is only used really as a HTPC for playing back DVD's and .mkv files and streaming video from youtube etc. to the TV screen.

In the office I have my older PC which works well but is over 5 years old and is not that fast for modern things. I have a Cat5 cable run between both pcs which is idle and I hope to use it for a KVM switch if possible.

What I want is to go into my office and flick the switch which will allow me to control the HTPC in the bedroom giving me control of the mouse, keyboard and of course the video and sound if possible. I could live without the sound if I had to!

Anybody know any products that would do what I want it to? Most KVM switches I have seen are designed for PC's which are side by side and not in two different rooms!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I'm not sure if I fully understand what you are asking.

KVM switches are normally used to share video. keyboard, mouse & audio between more than one machine using one monitor one keyboard, one mouse & one set of speakers.

In order for that to work you would need long VGA\DVI, PS2\USB & audio cables from the KVM to the second machine.

Can you not just use "Logmein" to control the second machine remotely?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

You can Remote Desktop from the office PC to the bedroom PC and see the other computer in a window, like this:

screenshot_big.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'm not sure if I fully understand what you are asking.

KVM switches are normally used to share video. keyboard, mouse & audio between more than one machine using one monitor one keyboard, one mouse & one set of speakers.

In order for that to work you would need long VGA\DVI, PS2\USB & audio cables from the KVM to the second machine.

Can you not just use "Logmein" to control the second machine remotely?

I thought I could get like a KVM balun where I could connect these from the Bedroom PC and it would send the signals down the Cat5 cable and then allow the peripherals of the office pc to control it from the office remotely.

Stinicker wrote: »
    I thought I could get like a KVM balun where I could connect these from the Bedroom PC and it would send the signals down the Cat5 cable and then allow the peripherals of the office pc to control it from the office remotely.

You can use a KVM sure but you would still need all the cables I mentioned in my original post. You won't do it over one Cat5E cable.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Why not just switch the PCs? You don't need a high spec machine to play video

• Advertisement

Why not just switch the PCs? You don't need a high spec machine to play video

Not really an option Munster, the new PC has a HDMI output in the graphics card and is a real fast machine making for real sweet playback of files. The old machine has only VGA and struggles with any HD content. I have found a solution although pricey to my connundrum. What I need I discovered is a KVM extender, which will allow me to connect the KVM switcher to it and it will send the signal over a Cat5 cable to my office as I had planned!

Stinicker wrote: »
    Not really an option Munster, the new PC has a HDMI output in the graphics card and is a real fast machine making for real sweet playback of files. The old machine has only VGA and struggles with any HD content. I have found a solution although pricey to my connundrum. What I need I discovered is a KVM extender, which will allow me to connect the KVM switcher to it and it will send the signal over a Cat5 cable to my office as I had planned!

Are you talking about something like THIS?

Pretty expensive alright.

-

Are you talking about something like THIS?

Pretty expensive alright.

-

Sort of yes, but I have seen them cheaper elsewhere. The one I will get will not be IP based like that but rather just use the Cat5 cable as a point to point like those HDMI extenders do, I think it just uses RF signals on the cable rather than IP binary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

+1 for a remote desktop app. Remote desktop, VLC etc. That way you could run some programs on one machine and more on the other. Or if you install a flavour of linux on the HTPC you can use the free version of NX (aka NoMachine) to run a remote client using a separate account, meaning that two people could be using each machine simultaneously.

The only problem with these is that programs with high graphic demands can suffer. But unless you have direct video feed that will always be the problem.

Advertisement