Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine Throttling Usenet

• 05-04-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Anyone notice that lately (Past few weeks) Imagine has started to throttle Usenet downloads. Even SSL ports/servers doesn't help me. Used to get 280-300KBps on my 3mb now I get 120-220 depending on the time. (They hardly increased contention :confused: ) Does SSL totally circumvent throttling ? I was always under the impression that Usenet was very difficult to throttle unlike torrents.

It may only be me though. I have noticed recently my SN margin has gone from its usual 18db to 6-10db but I thought this only effected syncing DSL.

Anyone else having this problem ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Ive noticed it more with rapidshare,megaupload etc these barely work at times now...Theirs no better service for me at the moment, but as soon as one comes along im dropping these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭barry181091

Ah RS, MU and all of those file sharing sites are ALWAYS throttled, I dont think it matters what provider you are with, they are seriously easy to throttle for them. That's the exact reason why I use usenet :D Thought it may have been the server I was using but no, tried about 4 different ones and they all have the same problem

I also use usenet and dont think its a throttling problem your having, more likey its contention..if your were being throttled you'd be down a lot lower in speeds than that!! also rapidshare.megaupload etc were all working great upto a few days ago so i reckon its just a new policy

True, I suppose. We got our 3mb contract with Irish Broadband, so that still stands. That's why we still have unlimited downloads :D Also, Why im reluctant to move anywhere until UPC comes to town.

Another thing in the contract was only 24/1 contention. Imagines current 3mb being 48/1 contention, I should call them and just casually ask whats the contention on my line, wait for them to say 48/1 and blast them with my 'ol contract spiel. Tomorrow should be interesting ;)

yeah im in the same situation, on the 3mb and waiting for UPC to come here..let me know what happens when u ring em, im outta contract so can just drop em if they dont comply

• Advertisement

Will do gazz.

One more thing guys, I think I could have a problem with my line. I am in an estate and my neighbor on our right (Literally about 30 feet away) has an SN margin of 24db downstream while mine is 6-10db. While my neighbor on our left has the same crappy sn as us.

We must be on the same overall line so what gives ? I have checked our main phone box and cleaned the contacts, everything is ok there. We do have an eircom man hole 'square' just outside our house and I know some of the houses connect together there in a small plastic 'bell' shaped box. I think our problem could be there as it is hardly the 20ft line from our front door to that plastic box.

I think my neighbor on the right is connected to one of the plastic ''bell'' boxes further up the pavement as there are a few eircom 'square' man holes in the estate. This is what leads me to believe that the bad sn problem is in this eircom man hole outside our house.

To follow up, I called Imagine today. Got onto a very nice Irish chap who sorted me out. It may be that my very poor sn margin is causing the slow connection. Its now at 5db and usenet wont go over 100kbps while earlier in the day when it was at 13db, I could max out usenet. He put in a fault with eircom so have to call back tomorrow and see what eircom said. At least he didn't patronize me with 'Restart your modem' :D

Eh, Logged the fault with eircom but was told it would be a few weeks before an 'engineer' (:D) got to us.

I decided to take matters into my own hands and took off the eircom man hole cover in the pavement. There was the bell shaped junction box. Opened it up and low and behold there was condensation everywhere (Even though its sealed + a silica gel bag in it), not to mention some bare wires touching, jesus :(

Put her back together for now. Need to get some wire connectors, dont want to just 'twist' the wires together. I'll have the noise issue fixed in no time :) (I Hope :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Wet, live circuits + you = dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭P1erce

CiaranC wrote: »
    Wet, live circuits + you = dead.

On a telephone circuit?

What id be more worried is trespass and damage to private property...

• Advertisement

Telephone circuits are 48V when not ringing, and very low current.

Doesnt matter anyway, Eircom fella came out of the blue today :P Didnt even open the man hole. Went to the exchange and changed the port we were on which didnt help, as I knew it wouldnt. Hes coming back on Monday to do some more stuff, said he would put in a new cable from the junction box to our house if necessary. Yey free cable :D

Advertisement