Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. subject choice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

It seems to me that your worried you're going to bad at LC so your looking for some easy options, but if you do more ordinary and USEFULL subjects and just work at them you will do good instead of trying to take the easy way out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

It seems to me that your worried you're going to bad at LC so your looking for some easy options, but if you do more ordinary and USEFULL subjects and just work at them you will do good instead of trying to take the easy way out.

Very little learnt at LC level could be considered useful in my opinion.
    The real learning takes place at 3rd level.
    Therefore subjects are only USEFUL as points generators to gain a ticket to your course.

Some courses are so competitive that every 5 points count.
    If one subject is slightly less difficult than another it would be stupid not to at least investigate the options - in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Examiners correct to a marking scheme, they don't get the choice of being tough or easy.

I know they comply by a marking scheme they have to follow but comparing what is in the marking scheme/model answer what they are looking for some of them either be more lenient or not as lenient when awarding marks. The leaving cert marking scheme be more set in stone than in the mocks. I know they may not get a choice whether to be tough or easy but they still are the ones who be awarding the marks in the end of the day. They be checked to see if they have complied to the marking scheme if they were too lenient or too tough on a candidate might be checked to be sure if the candidate should be rewarded the marks or not definitely in the case for the mocks and for rechecking of scripts anyway.

They have a marking scheme yes but its the examiner who still marks the exam in the end of the day regardless how easy or hard they going to be on the candidate they could still try not to award a candidate if they didn't mention something that is in the model answer! Its the combination of a model answer and the marking scheme determine how the marks are awarded!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

At the end of 6th year now taking a load of 'interesting' yet difficult subjects, I would say thats the best criteria possible for picking your subjects. You want points, nothing else. You'll hate all your subjects by 6th year no matter what you choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

doovdela wrote: »
    I know they comply by a marking scheme they have to follow but comparing what is in the marking scheme/model answer what they are looking for some of them either be more lenient or not as lenient when awarding marks. The leaving cert marking scheme be more set in stone than in the mocks. I know they may not get a choice whether to be tough or easy but they still are the ones who be awarding the marks in the end of the day. They be checked to see if they have complied to the marking scheme if they were too lenient or too tough on a candidate might be checked to be sure if the candidate should be rewarded the marks or not definitely in the case for the mocks and for rechecking of scripts anyway.

They have a marking scheme yes but its the examiner who still marks the exam in the end of the day regardless how easy or hard they going to be on the candidate they could still try not to award a candidate if they didn't mention something that is in the model answer! Its the combination of a model answer and the marking scheme determine how the marks are awarded!

1. Mocks have nothing to do with the real thing, so there's no point even talking about them, they are produced by companies for profit.

2. There is no such thing as a model answer, there is a marking scheme, if your answer is in there you get the marks if it isn't you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Chuchoter wrote: »
    At the end of 6th year now taking a load of 'interesting' yet difficult subjects, I would say thats the best criteria possible for picking your subjects. You want points, nothing else. You'll hate all your subjects by 6th year no matter what you choose.

I think that's pretty terrible advice personally. I still love everything I've chosen, it's only one of my core subjects (English) that I hate, and sure that can't be helped. The only subjects that people I know hate are the ones they chose because they were "easy" or ones they just chose for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I have to disagree. I chose subjects because I had an interest in them, and I still like them just as much, if not more, than I first did. There's a couple I don't like at all, but they were either poor choices, or compulsory.

There's no point going for something that's supposedly 'easy' because you want the points. You'd do better in something you really enjoy, unless the subject is particularly difficult to do well in. And just because one student finds it easy, it doesn't mean everyone will.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You don't seem to understand how the marking works.

Yes, the initial examiner marks a script, but then there are numerous checks of the standard of the examiner's marking by the Advising Examiner. If the examiner is too hard or too lenient, the first examiner then goes back and re-marks papers to the Advising Examiner's standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ok maybe I am wrong, its been a few years since I did the leaving. So its just that they comply by the Advising Examiner then. Then how are the marks awarded then???? They have to have a set scheme in order for them to gain the marks though? Like for maths for instance, you could get your final answer wrong but if you complete each step correctly in your calculation you could get nearly 7 marks but not get the full 10 marks if you gave an incorrect answer? You'd get the full 10 marks if you got the correct answer then? So how do they measure marks to the correct answer then in a theory question? You give so many lines per mark? Like 30 marks you give a longer answer than you would for a 10 mark question? If your answer is backed up and so on with examples and the facts needed to get the marks?

Ok maybe I am wrong, its been a few years since I did the leaving. So its just that they comply by the Advising Examiner then. Then how are the marks awarded then???? They have to have a set scheme in order for them to gain the marks though? Like for maths for instance, you could get your final answer wrong but if you complete each step correctly in your calculation you could get nearly 7 marks but not get the full 10 marks if you gave an incorrect answer? You'd get the full 10 marks if you got the correct answer then? So how do they measure marks to the correct answer then in a theory question? You give so many lines per mark? Like 30 marks you give a longer answer than you would for a 10 mark question? If your answer is backed up and so on with examples and the facts needed to get the marks?

I'm not sure how many more ways this can be described. There is a marking scheme with a list of answers that are acceptable. If you have the answers in the scheme you get the marks.

In maths if you are asked to calculate 3 + x = 7

and there are 10 marks going for it, there might be 5 marks for your method:

x = 7 - 3 (5 marks)

x = 4 ( 5 marks)

I'm oversimplifying but if you write down x = 4 you get the full 10 marks.

If you only write down x = 6 without a method you get zero as there is nothing to show how you got your answer

If you write down

x = 7 - 3

x = 6

You will get the first 5 marks as you had the right method but not the right answer, so you knew how to do it but you miscalculated.

On the other hand if you are asked to give a timeline of events leading up to and during World War II, and you list :

Anschluss of Austria
    Invasion of Sudetenland
    Invasion of Poland
    Battle of Britain
    Japanese bomb Pearl Harbour etc etc etc

and those events are listed you get your marks, assuming a list was all that was required. If you choose to write a page on each of them, that's your own business, you won't get any extra marks if it wasn't required. If you are asked to state three pieces of information for each of the events you have named, then the acceptable pieces of information would also be in the marking scheme.

*I'm not a history teacher by the way

The LC is not about how many inches of paper you fill, if it was most people would just waffle on to come out with an A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

I'm planning on doing law when I finish school, what subjects would you suggest studying.?

History would really help. Then possiblely business, and just in case you change your mind, throw in a science subject!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

I would advise people to choose subjects that you are going to do in college. e.g. I only did 1 science subject for LC (biology) and now decided to do science in college. I regret my subject choices. You have it harder in college. I realized I had an aptitude for science. A lot of the subjects I did at LC are no use to me anymore. I don't use them anymore. I picked the subjects that I thought would get me most points.

What I advise: If you are sure on doing business in college do at least 2 business subjects. If you think maybe science it would be helpful to have at least 2 science subjects. Then you wouldn't have so much of a burden when you get to college. Make out a list of possible options for college and pick subjects according to that.

If you only do 1 science subject and decide you want to do science in college you will regret it like me...

Pick subjects that will make it easier for you/be useful for you in the long term! Yes consider picking subjects you think will earn you most points but also consider what you want to do in college to. Don't solely pick subjects on the basis of getting more points.

mockshelp wrote: »

If you only do 1 science subject and decide you want to do science in college you will regret it like me...

Not everyone knows in third year what they want to do in college. Many of my leaving certs who will be doing their exams in just over two months from now still don't know what they want to do.

Best advice is to pick a range of subjects, and keep options open if you don't know what you want, and also to pick subjects you like as you are more likely to work at them.

There are plenty of people who enter college with only one subject in their area of study e.g. sciences, languages, business and survive, going in with one subject is not uncommon.

I'm just saying it would be helpful to narrow down a list of what you think are most possible college degrees you would do and pick subjects according to that. A lot of people can rule out a lot of college courses easily and they are left with a few areas of study to consider. So if you are definite for instance that you would not want to study geography in arts in college then do not do geography for the LC thinking it is easy and will get you more points. It would be a waste of time. Pick something else! That's all I say.

In my science class a lot of people had done chemistry for the leaving cert and I didn't. They have 2 years of it behind them and I'm only a beginner. I need to work harder in 1st year. It was a waste of time me doing geography for the LC. I knew I wouldn't want to study it in college. I should've picked chemistry instead. If I had considered my college courses when picking subjects I wouldn't have picked geography.

So hopefully my opinion helps people pick subjects. The pick "a range" of subjects is often advised by guidance counselors when someone "isn't sure" of what they want to do in college. Yes pick a range but choose carefully. That's all I say now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fannyadams

I want to do medicine, or veterinary medicine when I leave school. I have biology picked as one of my subject but only 2 colleges accept people with only one science subject. Should i do chemistry even tho I am not a fan of it.? Help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

fannyadams wrote: »
    I want to do medicine, or veterinary medicine when I leave school. I have biology picked as one of my subject but only 2 colleges accept people with only one science subject. Should i do chemistry even tho I am not a fan of it.? Help.
    If you want to do Medicine I would reckon there is a load of Chemistry in it. (Correct me if i'm wrong), but I would anyway! My Sisters studying Nursing in TCD and there's a good bit of Chemistry involved in it AFAIK

Medicine is Chemistry central, you'd find first year really hard if you didn't have it.

Yes because only Galway and UCD accept with only biology.. I'm not really good at Chemistry tho but my principle is a Science and leaving cert biology and chemistry teacher and he said its alot easier than biology :/ My subject forms are sent in but i can ring the school and change it :/ so should i do it ?

I think so if you're really set on medicine. You might like it, its really different to JC chemistry.

• Advertisement

Is it harder or more interesting?.. Can you briefly tell me what you do in it or a bit of information about it?.. Thanks so much..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Medicine is Chemistry central, you'd find first year really hard if you didn't have it.

Not entirely true, I did both biology and chemistry and find that previous knowledge of biology comes into it a lot more. People who didn't do chemistry seem to be getting on fine. I'd still advise doing both anyway.
    Yes because only Galway and UCD accept with only biology.. I'm not really good at Chemistry tho but my principle is a Science and leaving cert biology and chemistry teacher and he said its alot easier than biology :/ My subject forms are sent in but i can ring the school and change it :/ so should i do it ?

Biology is mainly rote learning information, there's not a huge amount of understanding and no "figuring out" to do. Chemistry has more concepts, there'd be quite a few problems to work out, with less theory than biology. I'd advise it to keep as many options open for medicine as you can.

I personally thought chemistry was harder initially but coming up to the exam the paper was easier to prepare for and there's less to study.

Thanks so much.. Is Chemistry a massive course or is it a nice course or what do people with previous experience make of it.. Can someone give me some information on the hpat too? Not fully sure what it's about.. Many thanks :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

chemistry is a much shorter course its a case of learning a little about alot in biology and lots about little in chemistry. the hpat is an interview you have to take to get into medicine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Thanks so much.. Is Chemistry a massive course or is it a nice course or what do people with previous experience make of it.. Can someone give me some information on the hpat too? Not fully sure what it's about.. Many thanks :D

The HPAT website and the 2012 thread will tell you all you need to know about the HPAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

For veterinary you need chemistry. I would do it anyway just to be certain.

Thanks so much guys.. Is chemistry easy to get an A in for the leaving than Biology or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Thanks so much guys.. Is chemistry easy to get an A in for the leaving than Biology or what?
    I wouldn't say that now. I'm doing both Biology and Chemistry (5th Year) and so far, I find Biology to be the easier of the two, by far my easiest subject, but in terms of grades, the class average in my school in Chemistry is higher than the class average in Biology. With Chemistry, you either know your stuff or you don't, and I think that scares people into working. If you don't work, you will do poorly in Chemistry. The grades in a class test can vary from 100% to 13%, all based on whether the individual looked over the material or not. It is a subject that needs work, but if you do the work, you can do very well in it.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that now. I'm doing both Biology and Chemistry (5th Year) and so far, I find Biology to be the easier of the two, by far my easiest subject, but in terms of grades, the class average in my school in Chemistry is higher than the class average in Biology. With Chemistry, you either know your stuff or you don't, and I think that scares people into working. If you don't work, you will do poorly in Chemistry. The grades in a class test can vary from 100% to 13%, all based on whether the individual looked over the material or not. It is a subject that needs work, but if you do the work, you can do very well in it.

Interesting comment. Well every subject needs work but is Chemistry a subject that requires more work than others? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Interesting comment. Well every subject needs work but is Chemistry a subject that requires more work than others? :confused:

It depends I think on how much actual interest you have in the subject to begin with. I do all three sciences and Chemistry is by far my favourite and best subject, yet there are plenty of people in my class who just took it on because they weren't sure and thought they might like science after school and to be honest the majority of them are struggling with it. With Biology you can just learn off the information and not really have to understand it, but I find with Chemistry its far more important to understand what your doing, trying to learn it without understanding why your doing it is much harder I find.

Advertisement