Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. subject choice

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

I'm stuck between physics and applied maths.I enjoy maths.I love problem solving and I do well in tests(86% in the pre) .On the other hand science in my best subject.I love the concepts in physics and find them interesting.I tend to understand them better then biology/chemistry.

I know I'll put in the work so its really up to what i'd enjoy more.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

If you can, why not do both? They're meant to go well together.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    If you can, why not do both? They're meant to go well together.

Can't :(.Going to be doing biology,chemistry,German and one other.Keeping medicine in mind as my college course it wouldn't be the best idea to not do chemistry/biology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Hmm, well since youre already doing two lab sciences maybe applied maths is your best bet :) I've heard its very doable if you have the ability, so if you think you do then go ahead :)

I think you may be right patchy.I still have a few weeks to choose though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fannyadams

Glee_GG wrote: »
    I do all three sciences and Chemistry is by far my favourite and best subject

How did you do in science for the Junior Cert tho? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

fannyadams wrote: »
    How did you do in science for the Junior Cert tho? :)

Got an A in JC Science. :) Theres such a difference though in the leaving, esp with chem and physics i find, biology not so much just more detailed.

Thanks so much for the help Glee_GG :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

It depends I think on how much actual interest you have in the subject to begin with. I do all three sciences and Chemistry is by far my favourite and best subject, yet there are plenty of people in my class who just took it on because they weren't sure and thought they might like science after school and to be honest the majority of them are struggling with it. With Biology you can just learn off the information and not really have to understand it, but I find with Chemistry its far more important to understand what your doing, trying to learn it without understanding why your doing it is much harder I find.
    I forgot to add to my comment that I still prefer Chemistry, even though Biology is easier. I actually hate Biology even. I would have swapped out of Biology for History back in September except that I couldn't condone giving up my easiest subject since the rest of my subjects require a fair bit of work.
    paddyzk wrote: »
    I'm stuck between physics and applied maths.I enjoy maths.I love problem solving and I do well in tests(86% in the pre) .On the other hand science in my best subject.I love the concepts in physics and find them interesting.I tend to understand them better then biology/chemistry.

I know I'll put in the work so its really up to what i'd enjoy more.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks !
    I do both of them, and the applied maths is a massive help to physics. The physics mechanics questions are similar to pass app. maths questions. All the maths based physics questions seem to overlap into app. maths, so they really are a great pairing. I'm doing physics in school and app. maths outside school, with one one and a half hour class a week. Just something to consider.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I do both of them, and the applied maths is a massive help to physics. The physics mechanics questions are similar to pass app. maths questions. All the maths based physics questions seem to overlap into app. maths, so they really are a great pairing. I'm doing physics in school and app. maths outside school, with one one and a half hour class a week. Just something to consider.
    Which do you prefer ?

• Advertisement

Geography or Construction Studies? I'm stuck between them too.

Which do you prefer ?

I'd go for applied maths over physics. The theory is physics can be rather boring at times i find, whereas in applied maths your just continuously solving problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Which do you prefer ?

Could you not do applied maths outside of school and physics inside? The applied maths course is tiny compared to others so it doesn't actually take up as much time. Oh and you don't have to do all the science if you want to do medicine, in your first year you'll have them covered anyway :)

I'd go for applied maths over physics. The theory is physics can be rather boring at times i find, whereas in applied maths your just continuously solving problems.
    Rather boring ? how much of it.
    Wesc. wrote: »
    Could you not do applied maths outside of school and physics inside? The applied maths course is tiny compared to others so it doesn't actually take up as much time. Oh and you don't have to do all the science if you want to do medicine, in your first year you'll have them covered anyway :)
    Unfortunately I can't do applied maths outside school :( you say it's tiny, how small is it ?

Rather boring ? how much of it?

well it depends on what aspects of physics you enjoyed for jc science but personally i hate all the section on electricity and it makes up about a quarter/third of the book.

well it depends on what aspects of physics you enjoyed for jc science but personally i hate all the section on electricity and it makes up about a quarter/third of the book.
    Oh god, I hate that as well.:pac:
    Think I'll go for applied maths then.Thanks for the help:)

you say it's tiny, how small is it ?

I did most of the the course by myself in like 5 weeks :pac:

5 weeks ? :eek: you must be some sort of maths god.

5 weeks ? :eek: you must be some sort of maths god.

Haha, well I just found it really really interesting I guess :) It's not like other subjects in that you have to learn off stuff, it's more of a hobby :L I'd recommend it it really is an excellent subject!

What?! :eek: how's that even possible?! :L

• Advertisement

I heard most schools only prepare 6 question for applied maths.Whats the most common ones ?

I heard most schools only prepare 6 question for applied maths.Whats the most common ones ?

Ah good ol' questions 1 to 5 and then the simple q10. You cant go wrong with these really, but be wary of question 1. You should, if I were you, do moments of inertia aswell. But for me I'm just doing those 6 :)

Ah good ol' questions 1 to 5 and then the simple q10. You cant go wrong with these really, but be wary of question 1. You should, if I were you, do moments of inertia aswell. But for me I'm just doing those 6 :)
    I'll keep that in mind.Do you find being good at normal maths helps
    ?

I'll keep that in mind.Do you find being good at normal maths helps
    ?

Well if you're good at normal maths you'll almost definitely be good at applied maths, and q10 on applied maths is nearly the same as q8 on maths paper 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Which do you prefer ?
    As Glee_GG said, Physics has some boring topics, optics springs to mind, whereas App. Maths is constantly interesting and challenging, though when a topic goes against you, it can be very frustrating. But what other subject are you going to find that will ask you "How many slaves do you need to drag a large rectangular block of mass 980kg?" :P
    My teacher has said he intends to do nine of the topics, and doing revision in the time that the 10th would take. Only doing 6 is very limiting as it doesn't let students choose the parts they are most competent at or have a particular flare for. I'd hate to be stuck to just 6.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    As Glee_GG said, Physics has some boring topics, optics springs to mind, whereas App. Maths is constantly interesting and challenging, though when a topic goes against you, it can be very frustrating. But what other subject are you going to find that will ask you "How many slaves do you need to drag a large rectangular block of mass 980kg?" :P

My teacher has said he intends to do nine of the topics, and doing revision in the time that the 10th would take. Only doing 6 is very limiting as it doesn't let students choose the parts they are most competent at or have a particular flare for. I'd hate to be stuck to just 6.
    Think I'll go for applied maths then.Thanks for the feedback :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

What I'd do if I was starting 5th year again is do geography, biology and ag. science as my 3 choice subjects. They all have components of each other and something you learn in one could help you in the other, or so it seems :o

Would definately pick geo over history. History was a big, big mistake for me :(

edit: but I'm 2 months from the leaving so knowing that now means fúck all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 derf345

Any truth that Latin is the easiest subject in the Leaving Cert??
    Someone told me that 1 in 3 get an A
    Any truth in this?

Can you swop Latin for your European language??
    Would you need to do it for the junior cert to take it on for the LC??

I did Latin for the Leaving Cert this year. I found it enjoyable, very manageable and highly interesting as a subject, so much so that I considered putting it down first on my CAO for further study in college. I felt nervous before the exam: our teacher had prepared us well by studying very old past papers full of difficult vocab. The exam was fantastic, our class were all delighted with it. However, if you are considering it for the Leaving, be aware that you have to get stuck into the grammar which, although isn't difficult, can be forgettable and requires constant attention particularly when attempting the unseens. You will need a good teacher too. As for results, an A1 is impressive, while an A2 can be achieved without killing yourself. A love of Latin will be instilled in you if you have the right teacher! YOU CAN't USE IT AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE. Doing it for JC would help, not essential... You would have a slightly greater stock of vocab and roman history knowledge, that's all

Advertisement