Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Clothes washing

Options
  • 05-04-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Sorry if this sounds a bit odd - we recently moved into Galway on the eastside of the city. The washing maching is new enough (3 yrs) but we cant seem to wash clothes without them being really coarse afterwards, towels like sandpaper & ruined in a few washes. I reckon this is down the water - anyone with simalar experiance and wondering if there is a proper filter for the water to the machine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

have you tried limescale tablets in the washer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

*singing 'your washing machine lives longer with calgon'....
    Haven't noticed any change lately.. Or maybe I'm just used to cardboard towels :D
    Maybe some extra fabric softener???

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

emcor wrote: »
    Sorry if this sounds a bit odd - we recently moved into Galway on the eastside of the city. The washing maching is new enough (3 yrs) but we cant seem to wash clothes without them being really coarse afterwards, towels like sandpaper & ruined in a few washes. I reckon this is down the water - anyone with simalar experiance and wondering if there is a proper filter for the water to the machine?

I hate this. This was/is a huge problem for me also, actually moved house because of it. I think it is because the water is really hard, you could try that de-limescaling thing (same one as you use for dishwasher). After that try using "Surf" or similar concentrated liquid washing pow..ehh...liquid (with a ball in the machine, use like 75ml for a full wash) + Comfort conditioner (only recommending the brands here because I have tried all combinations and that works the best). Wash clothes in 40/50 and towels/sheets @ 90 deg.

Also try half spin centrifuge, make sure you hang the clothes where they will dry reasonably fast though otherwise they (and you) will smell of gymbag

I am so happy someone can feel my pain :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In my area, also east, the water is very hard. I have to de-lime scale the kettle at least once a week so can only image what the washing machine or dishwasher looks like inside.

What you could do is run it with a bottle or two of white vinegar, they're cheap. Also adding salt in tablet box each wash can help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The recent rain will help, lime is a particular issue when it rains very little, I have a small well which is relatively lime free for some reason and use that for the washing nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

So that dank smell is down to lime in the water??

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

So that dank smell is down to lime in the water??

Don't know about that, could be a contributing factor, but according to my calcualtions (eh, theory) it works the way that the harder the water the slower fabric dries + you are living in one of the most humid places on the planet = old water trapped in the fabric pores. All i can say is i never used to spin my clothes in soft water areas (because it damages the clothes) and i never had this problem. I think every other person smells a bit damp here - don't mean to offend anyone, just a fact.

Maybe it is some lingering kryptsius spirillium that makes them smell

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    In my area, also east, the water is very hard. I have to de-lime scale the kettle at least once a week

Out of curiosity, how do you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pour 1/4 cup of lemon juice or white vinegar into it with 2-3 cups of water, bring to boil and leave it overnight.
    White vinegar also works for removing lime from the shower head when the spray starts to go all over the place instead of straight. Remove shower head and let it soak in pure vinegar overnight.
    I use white vinegar for tons of things beacuse it's so cheap and does the job nicely, removes glue residue and a bit in the washer reservoir in the car keeps it from freezing and kills the slime in the jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I use packets of citric acid crystals I get from Asian food shops. It's what they sell in Dunnes for descaling kettles, only cheaper and bigger quantity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement