Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

please please can anyone help me??

• 05-04-2010 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hi, i was given an old packard bell desk top, it has windows 98 already installed, i tried installing my 3 mobile internet but i cant, i was told that my broadband provider is not compatible with windows 98 and that i need to get xp, vista etc.... so my question is can i download xp or do i have to go get a new one in the shops?????????? please please if anybody knows how i can get xp without paying for it i would greatly appreciate it..

thanks a mill for reading

Annmarie..:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

annmarie74 wrote: »
    hi, i was given an old packard bell desk top, it has windows 98 already installed, i tried installing my 3 mobile internet but i cant, i was told that my broadband provider is not compatible with windows 98 and that i need to get xp, vista etc.... so my question is can i download xp or do i have to go get a new one in the shops?????????? please please if anybody knows how i can get xp without paying for it i would greatly appreciate it..

thanks a mill for reading

Annmarie..:confused::confused:

Edit your post as soon as you can, you need to take out the bolded part. The mod's will lock your thread otherwise

As far as getting a copy of XP (legally) its fairly difficult as most places dont sell it anymore. In fact, Microsoft themselves no longer even sell it, depending on the specification it may be able to run Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Jen32

Hi,
    You'll probably not get a copy of XP in any shop but you're bound to know someone who has XP on their computer....just ask them for a lend of the installation disk that came with their system.
    If you want to see whether your system can handle Windows 7 check the link below

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

If you go to most computer repair shops they'll probably have a copy of XP lying around somewhere....i'm sure they'd give it to you fairly cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tbh anything that has windows 98 installed on it will not be able to run windows 7 comfortably or even at all.

best bet OP is to get a legitimate copy of XP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Jen32 wrote: »
    Hi,
    You'll probably not get a copy of XP in any shop but you're bound to know someone who has XP on their computer....just ask them for a lend of the installation disk that came with their system.

You still will need a license key.

As for shops having them laying around, its worth a shot, make sure they sell you the install disk and license key though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tbh anything that has windows 98 installed on it will not be able to run windows 7 comfortably or even at all.

best bet OP is to get a legitimate copy of XP.

Correct. 7 is designed to run DX10+ Cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Correct. 7 is designed to run DX10+ Cards.
    true, but a DX10+ card is not needed to run it as i have it running here on a 5 year old macbook (don't ask) and my pc neither of which have directX 10 cards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Annmarie: Nobody on here can help you get a pirated copy, but there are other ways of getting a copy without paying for it (which have been suggsted).

Everyone else: I'm more than happy to leave this open once nobody suggests ways to pirate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Have you considered installing a Linux system. I installed Mint on a friends old dell and it works significantly faster than XP did. It did only have 192MB of memory so It was no surprise that XP was so slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

FSL wrote: »
    Have you considered installing a Linux system. I installed Mint on a friends old dell and it works significantly faster than XP did. It did only have 192MB of memory so It was no surprise that XP was so slow.

Just going on the OP I doubt that Annmarie would be very comfortable trying to do this, and chances are there isn't a linux app for the 3 dongle, I know meteor only support windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 commander cool

Hi AnnMarie, If your interested I could install a vaild and genuine copy of windows XP on your machine for a small fee. To be honest you might get a machine with xp installed second hand for cheap enough anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

annmarie74 wrote: »
    i was told that my broadband provider is not compatible with windows 98
    If you have a DSL modem, then its fine with '98 over ethernet. You'll only have trouble with USB.

As for XP, go buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 annmarie74

wow! thanx for all the advice people, i really appreciate it... to b honest i wasnt looking to get a pirate copy of xp, i didnt know that if someone else had a copy that i could use it too.. told ya's i wasnt a pc genius!! lol... so looks like im headind to the shops then coz i dont know anyone that has xp, only 7 and vista..

well thanks again for all your replys.. ;)

Best wishes to all ;)

Annmarie ;)

xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Ok your main problem is that Win98 didn't support USB from the get go.

Here are some details on how to get your USB working.

http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm

Once thats done you could test the 3G dongle you have.

thanks for that Devils Breath, ill go n try it now.. :confused:

rite.. i went throu all that.... nope.. still cant install my 3 dongle....soo to the shops i go.....

thanx again to all..

Annmarie :rolleyes::rolleyes:

nope! still cant di it!!.................:mad:

think i need to go on a pc course!

thanx again for all your help guys..;)

Advertisement