Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog grooming course

• 05-04-2010 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    I would be really keen on doing an advanced grooming course but all the courses I have seen are over €2000 and I can't afford that. I am currently doing a business degree and I am off for the summer. Does any body know of an advanced grooming course under that price? Or even experience in a dog salon to start me off :) I have always loved dogs and animals and would like to turn my love for them into a career.
    Thanks a million,
    Atlantis19
    istock_000005290430xsmall

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

St. John's college in cork has a grooming course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Where do you live? There might be fetac courses?

I'm doing a fetac course (in Mallow, Co. Cork) on Small Animal Care, which includes grooming. It cost like €150. That's for a year. And the next year is Veterinary Nursing (Fetac level 6, not accredited yet though). There might be other courses like it in other counties but I'm not sure . . . ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 puppypower

there is a distance learning course on the internet, maybe with kilroys college (not sure) for 700 euro's. You study in your own time from home althouht not sure how that works for grooming. Im looking into doing the 3month course with the London Acadamy of grooming. Does anyone know if its any good. It's over 2000euro:eek:

I ordered the college of animal welfare prospectus and it arrived today. They have some good courses. If you can take 3 weeks off and go to england, they have this course for you. It sounds good, there's nothing like it here.
    http://www.caw.ac.uk/ac/acdoggr.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

puppypower wrote: »
    there is a distance learning course on the internet, maybe with kilroys college (not sure) for 700 euro's. You study in your own time from home althouht not sure how that works for grooming. Im looking into doing the 3month course with the London Acadamy of grooming. Does anyone know if its any good. It's over 2000euro:eek:

Not sure how this would work either as grooming is very hands on and you really need practical work along with the theory. I would imagine it would be like learning the rules of the road and how to drive from a manual without evre sitting in a car. Killester college used to have an evening course in grooming which was meant to have been quite good. They still have a grooming teacher there (Anne Rogers), maybe you could contact her and see what options are available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 atlantis19

I ordered the college of animal welfare prospectus and it arrived today. They have some good courses. If you can take 3 weeks off and go to england, they have this course for you. It sounds good, there's nothing like it here.
    http://www.caw.ac.uk/ac/acdoggr.htm

Thanks a mill for all the replies. This sounds great depending on how much flights and accom would be i might be better off doing something here, but I am considering it as it has a very good prospectus. I'm in dublin but wouldn't mind traveling to Cork. I was thinking of ringing a few grooming salons and see if someone that works there would teach me out of their work time, any opinions?

atlantis19 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for all the replies. This sounds great depending on how much flights and accom would be i might be better off doing something here, but I am considering it as it has a very good prospectus. I'm in dublin but wouldn't mind traveling to Cork.

Oh btw, I think in the St John's course, you have to do a year of Animal Care (including grooming fetac level 5) and then you can do another year of grooming level 6, which also includes a few other things, like learning about showing and breeds, etc. I think you have to do the first year too, and it's really hard to get in there. I applied last year and they have a huge waiting list and they told me straight out that i wouldn't get in unless I had worked in a vet for at least one day a week for a year. :(

Though there is also my course in Mallow, which they let anyone into! :D It's the exact same thing, and then you can progress to level 6 grooming in ST JOhn's. I think they would let you in then, because the demand in St JOhn's is probably for Vet Nursing, more than the grooming option.

I'm thinking of doing the St John's grooming course after my vet nursing in Mallow (or the vet nursing course in St John's, if mine isn't accredited by next year)

morganafay wrote: »
    Oh btw, I think in the St John's course, you have to do a year of Animal Care (including grooming fetac level 5) and then you can do another year of grooming level 6, which also includes a few other things, like learning about showing and breeds, etc. I think you have to do the first year too, and it's really hard to get in there. I applied last year and they have a huge waiting list and they told me straight out that i wouldn't get in unless I had worked in a vet for at least one day a week for a year. :(

QUOTE]

You are scaring me with this. You applied last year to st.john's and they told you you wouldn't get in? Did you apply late? Did you have any experience with animals?
    I applied to the animal care course this year and hopefully onto do the veterinary nursing. I have to get it. I have work experience at a shelter, doggy first aid and a distance learning course in animal care to show them i am still capable of learning at 28. I have to get it. :(

Can you tell me more about the course you are doing now? I never heard about the animal care course in mallow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 hughkane

My dog can groom himself just fine.

You are scaring me with this. You applied last year to st.john's and they told you you wouldn't get in? Did you apply late? Did you have any experience with animals?
    I applied to the animal care course this year and hopefully onto do the veterinary nursing. I have to get it. I have work experience at a shelter, doggy first aid and a distance learning course in animal care to show them i am still capable of learning at 28. I have to get it. :(

Can you tell me more about the course you are doing now? I never heard about the animal care course in mallow?[/QUOTE]

The only experience I had with animals was keeping alot of different animals as pets. Also I had leaving cert honours biology and honours maths which they said was important (not sure why maths?). And I applied late, so was interviewing to be put on the waiting list.

So you have alot more experience than me and the distance learning course, which will work in your favour. They told me I had to have worked with a vet, but maybe they were just saying that.

The course in Mallow has all the same modules as the St John's one I think, it's pretty much the same. Except I'd say the one in St John's is more professional, kinda, and the teachers would be better. In the end you get the same qualification, fetac level 5 animal care.

• Advertisement
Advertisement