Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subsidence questions

Options
  • 05-04-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Buying our first home and the engineer has told us that the house has subsidence and there is a major leak under the house as well.

It seems like the leak has caused the subsidence but this is not 100% certain.

The engineer has recommended that the house get a wraparound underpinning and complete replacement of affected drains.

What do people think about subsidence?
    If it's repaired properly is the problem solved or could it reoccur?
    Does anyone know how it affects insurance premiums and will the house ever be considered 100% structurally sound?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jenggg

Hiya, these are all questions I would love to know the answers to also as I am in the exact same position. The vendors have processed their insurance claim to have the underpinning done and I have been assured that it will be successful as it is pretty common in this location. It is a situation with pipes also, they are old and crack over time. I would like other's opinions on it all too...maybe people who have been through this?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My first though is to walk away.

However, I presume you are getting the property at a huge discount. Potentially, you agree a contract whereby you agree to buy the property in the future for €X, but only after you have worked out exactly what the cost of the remedial work will be, including an amount of money for they risk in case the first round of construction work doesn't completely solve the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bluebell201

Hi J1mbojOnes,

What is the update re your subsidence? Looks like we're in a similar situation and not sure what to do!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd have to agree with Victor. Why would you even consider buying a property with significant subsidence and a major leak? It sounds like the sort of property that would give you nothing but grief.

There is very little point in speculating as to whether remedial works will solve the problem, though from the brief description you've given, I'd be surprised if they did.

Personally I'd run a mile from this property- regardless of how nice it was- life is too short to live in a house with serious issues like this........

Advertisement