Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Priority when overtaking on motorway/national road.

• 05-04-2010 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering, when you're in the over taking lane and someone ahead but in the lane to the left, they indicate in to move into the overtaking lane. Good etiquette is probably to break and let them in. But if you are fairly close to them, is your priority to finish your overtaking manouevre? What would be the legality if they pulled out in front of you and you ran into them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Person changing lane must yield - i.e. person in the overtaking lane has priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

They must give way to traffic already in the lane they are moving into. Also I wouldn't regard it as good etiquette to brake and "let" them change lanes on a fast flowing motorway. If they find themselves getting boxed in behind a slow moving vehicle in the driving lane they could probably have avoided that by looking ahead and anticipating what was going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

BrianD3 wrote: »
    They must give way to traffic already in the lane they are moving into. Also I wouldn't regard it as good etiquette to brake and "let" them change lanes on a fast flowing motorway. If they find themselves getting boxed in behind a slow moving vehicle in the driving lane they could probably have avoided that by looking ahead and anticipating what was going to happen.

Yeah, some fella nearly pulled out on top of me. I spose certain drivers think once they indicate they have right of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

In the absence of witnesses, it would depend on where you hit them. If you rear-end them then it'd be hard to win the claim - if you hit the side of their car then it might be easier to argue. By the time that the cars stop, positioning will be different so photos probably don't matter.

I agree with the previous poster (Padraig Mor), the car in the overtaking lane has priority but if the other driver decides to lie about the sequence of events and you have no reliable witnesses then you'd better hope that the impact marks are in your favour (unfair and all as that may seem). Insurance companies will pay out on the most likely sequence of events, not what actually happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A "dash cam" might help in the event of such a collision. I am strongly considering getting one for my next car or even current car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

245 wrote: »
    In the absence of witnesses, it would depend on where you hit them. If you rear-end them then it'd be hard to win the claim - if you hit the side of their car then it might be easier to argue. By the time that the cars stop, positioning will be different so photos probably don't matter.

I agree with the previous poster (Padraig Mor), the car in the overtaking lane has priority but if the other driver decides to lie about the sequence of events and you have no reliable witnesses then you'd better hope that the impact marks are in your favour (unfair and all as that may seem). Insurance companies will pay out on the most likely sequence of events, not what actually happened.

This is what I was thinking. No matter how it happens, if the crash is the other car getting rear ended, you instantly appear in the wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Do not brake on a Motorway or Dual Carraigeway as it can cause a "Ghost Tailback".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Ush1 wrote: »
    Good etiquette is probably to break and let them in.

The fact you have to consider braking to let them in means that you have priority and they should not be even trying to get out in front of you - it is not a safe manouevre.

This is not a question of etiquette, more one of safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

sorry for jumping in on this, but on a 3 lane motorway or carriageway, one car is on the left lane one in the right lane, both going same speed and more or less, side by side. Both pull into the middle lane at the same time causing a collision. Who is at fault here?

I am very wary of these 3 lane carriageways and this ever happening as I have had a few near misses. I always err on the side of caution and back off regardless of which lane I am in but just wondered who has right of way in above scenario?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

As both drivers would have equal priority to pull into the lane I would say that the guy in the inner left lane is at fault as in cases of equal priority always yield to traffic on the right.

But I'm open to correction on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    sorry for jumping in on this, but on a 3 lane motorway or carriageway, one car is on the left lane one in the right lane, both going same speed and more or less, side by side. Both pull into the middle lane at the same time causing a collision. Who is at fault here?

I am very wary of these 3 lane carriageways and this ever happening as I have had a few near misses. I always err on the side of caution and back off regardless of which lane I am in but just wondered who has right of way in above scenario?

I would assume the person in the outermost lane has priority as they're already "overtaking" by virtue of being in the outermost lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

BrianD3 wrote: »
    A "dash cam" might help in the event of such a collision. I am strongly considering getting one for my next car or even current car.

I know a couple of bus and coach drivers who were involved in accidents where without CCTV evidence they could have had a tough job proving their innocence! The camera footage proved they were in the right!

Probably a good idea having one fitted to a car.

Advertisement