Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Sky on the xbox

• 05-04-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Hey, any of you guys subscribe to sky on xbox? Good job?

I was thinking of getting of getting it for watching football but going by the prices on their website its working out at about £40 for sky sports 1, 2 and ESPN. Seems a bit steep to me though, is this right?

I have heard that you can watch sky through someone else's subscription, if they have multi-room and don't watch sky on the computer ( something about the multi room working on one IP address). Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Cheers in advance for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

i have sky multi-room so i can watch all the channels i am paying for on my xbox, you have to have multi-room to get it for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Conar

My parents have Sky HD and multi-room.
    They don't have any use for the xbox subscription so I use it for them :)

Its not linked by IP just that only 1 XBOX can be registered.
    I have the sports channels for free and a handful of free channels.

If you know anyone that doesn't need the xbox part of the sky player sub then go ahead and grab it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

so i can use my parents on my xbox? even though I dont live at the same address?

They don't have multi-room at the min so would they need to upgrade so I can do this.

Really appreciate your help on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

If you have a friend that doesnt need it,by all means go for it that way,BUT if u want to use your own money,DO NOT get it..the quality isnt great on it so its only half watchable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Fol20 wrote: »
    If you have a friend that doesnt need it,by all means go for it that way,BUT if u want to use your own money,DO NOT get it..the quality isnt great on it so its only half watchable

Yeah the trailers for it on xbox live aren't the best quality but thought thats because it was only a trailer.

Mostly stream on my laptop at the min but the links go down quite often, not good when its a match you really wanna see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I use it while at Uni in England. I pay £5 a month and get the same channels as my mother's SKY subscription in Ireland. ESPN is a bit messed up. A lot of games say 'Can not be viewed on Sky Player' but that's mostly foreign leagues, although I'd love to watch them. Either way, like someone said, if you know someone who has Sky and doesn't avail of this then go for it. But it's worth paying the extra for full Sky service. The quality can be hit and miss sometimes depending on bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Hey, any of you guys subscribe to sky on xbox? Good job?

I was thinking of getting of getting it for watching football but going by the prices on their website its working out at about £40 for sky sports 1, 2 and ESPN.

You dont need to get it through the website. Monthly subs can be bought much cheaper online.

I bought from here for £7.95: http://www.instantxboxcards.com/productdetail.php?Prod=gHQ=

Here for £6.95:
    https://www.gamepointsnow.com/points/Sky-Player-1-Month-Sky-Sports-and-Entertainment-Pack-Subscription

Play.com sells a pack for €20 which includes one month and 3 months of xox live. You can trade in the remote and get a few euro back for it:
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/12145957/Sky-Entertainment-Pack-for-Xbox-360/Product.html

Just make sure to cancel it anytime during the month so they dont charge you full price in the next month. You can use these subs as many times as you want. I agree with what everyone says about the quality not being great, but sky sports for €10 a month is a bargain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I use a friends multi-room account to watch through my xbox, works a treat, I really like the On Demand aspect of movies, I'm a lazy git and it's easier to use the remote than get a DVD out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Get a friends account

The way I have it is this

My Parents house pays for Sky Movies + Sports w/Multiroom (3 boxes)

- I have set up 3 sky player accounts - 1 for each box (card number)
    I have them split as so below

Xbox
    - I use one on my xbox , 1 for my friends xboxin Scotland, and 1 xbox in
    Portlaoise

PC
    -I also have 1 main computer (pc) at home, 1 PC in work and 1 on a laptop

All 6 of these devices can avail of Live Sky Sports, Live Movies and the 100's of movies and sports, documentaries etc all due to the subscription in my parents house.

I don't think people realise, that they can make an account PER box

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

mgsrocks wrote: »
    You dont need to get it through the website. Monthly subs can be bought much cheaper online.

I bought from here for £7.95: http://www.instantxboxcards.com/productdetail.php?Prod=gHQ=

Here for £6.95:
    https://www.gamepointsnow.com/points/Sky-Player-1-Month-Sky-Sports-and-Entertainment-Pack-Subscription

Play.com sells a pack for €20 which includes one month and 3 months of xox live. You can trade in the remote and get a few euro back for it:
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/12145957/Sky-Entertainment-Pack-for-Xbox-360/Product.html

Just make sure to cancel it anytime during the month so they dont charge you full price in the next month. You can use these subs as many times as you want. I agree with what everyone says about the quality not being great, but sky sports for €10 a month is a bargain.

Game have this pack for €19.99 at the moment too, or at least the one in Mahon Point in Cork does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Get a friends account

The way I have it is this

My Parents house pays for Sky Movies + Sports w/Multiroom (3 boxes)

- I have set up 3 sky player accounts - 1 for each box (card number)
    I have them split as so below

Xbox
    - I use one on my xbox , 1 for my friends xboxin Scotland, and 1 xbox in
    Portlaoise

PC
    -I also have 1 main computer (pc) at home, 1 PC in work and 1 on a laptop

All 6 of these devices can avail of Live Sky Sports, Live Movies and the 100's of movies and sports, documentaries etc all due to the subscription in my parents house.

I don't think people realise, that they can make an account PER box

Quick question man did you contact sky for the sub number or do it online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Is the Sky player subscription linked to the actual XBox or the gamer tag?

I've moved my old Xbox into my son's room and he watches the sky player on it but he needs my profile coz his is not a gold one.

Which means I have to keep moving a memory card between the sitting room and his bedroom.

I'm thinking of not renewing my gold subscription but upgrading his, will he still be able to watch sky on the xbox in his room?

Thanks to anyone who knows the answer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I don't know why but there is only a tiny fraction of the Sky Player content actually up on Sky Xbox

If you go to the Sky Player website you will see tons of things like episodes from shows such as Lie to Me that don't exist on the Sky Xbox client.

So if you are only using Sky on the Xbox you may be disappointed by how little is up.

I've no idea why this is the case, one would think it all comes from the same servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

Wicknight wrote: »
    I don't know why but there is only a tiny fraction of the Sky Player content actually up on Sky Xbox

If you go to the Sky Player website you will see tons of things like episodes from shows such as Lie to Me that don't exist on the Sky Xbox client.

So if you are only using Sky on the Xbox you may be disappointed by how little is up.

I've no idea why this is the case, one would think it all comes from the same servers.

I think it's due to Sky not being able to handle so many users downloading so many different stuff. If you think back to when Sky Xbox launched, it was completely crashed and no-one was able to use it. I think they eventually had to take out a lot of stuff available for people to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

GAAman wrote: »
    Quick question man did you contact sky for the sub number or do it online?

No,

You don't need a subscription number.

The only 2 details you need, or need to get off your friend.

Is
    1. Their card number (simple pull the sky card out of the box and check)
    2. Home phone number that they used to set Sky up in their house.

Then you can easily set the rest up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

That sounds VERY expensive -- Sure an entire package wouldnt cost you much more than that??

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭elnino35

Just signed up using my mates sky details...he has all the sports channels, and it only took 10 mins to set up on my Xbox...about to watch the match now...sweeeeeeet!!!!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Just got an email from Sky saying that until June you can watch live content on sky player without a multi room subscription.

Nice :) Live matches here I come.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

quad_red wrote: »
    Just got an email from Sky saying that until June you can watch live content on sky player without a multi room subscription.

Nice :) Live matches here I come.

I got the same email but i am a multiroom subscriber so I'll get it for free for 2 months.:)

Advertisement