Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

draft proofing

• 05-04-2010 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I notice this term appearing in alot of threads. What exactly is this? Does it refer to sealing around windows and doors (as well as openings)?

Reason I ask is I have been dealing with a builder, architect and engineer recently, none of which have ver used this term.

They have all talked about insulation, but now this. Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Really its just a quick way of saying , are you losing any heat due to cold air infiltrating or heat escaping the building by means of
    example
    Seals around windows not working 100%,
    Drafts coming in around doors opening to the outside ,
    if any holes were drilled to outside for wires, pipes etc there could be cold air getting in there .
    is the door to your attic sealed properly to stop heat escaping up there .
    Its things like that we mean others will prob think of more examples , but these little things make a difference when heating the building .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,619 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Needing draft/draught proofing suggests faulty building, so you are not likely to hear builders talking about it, it is assumed that the things that are supposed to be sealed will be.

Draught proofing is usually needed in older buildings where maybe windows or doors have warped and let in draughts.

Advertisement