Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whether to get a car checked by AA etc.

• 05-04-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭

I am going to see a second hand car tomorrow...have seen it before and it seems ok (also needs to be cleared...NI import). Am spending in the region of 6k including the VRT and just wondering if it's worth getting it checked by an authorized agency - e.g. AA or something similar?

Have done an online check via motorcheck.ie for history etc. Did not turn up anything worrying but did not verify mileage accuracy which I had hoped for.

Drove the car myself on Fri, seemed ok apart from spongy/jittery brakes. It was raining at the time too which was not ideal for giving it a proper once over. MOT has expired since Jan.

Would bringing it to a local garage and paying them €30/40 for giving it a quick once over turn up any major issues....only thing is...the car is in Co. Louth and I don't know any local mechanics....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Ask the seller to get a new MOT on the car.
    What type of car is this ? year etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

HPI check it! I'd also want a new MOT and verification of the cars service history.

Many imports have secrets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Well from his point of view getting an MOT is pointless to sell in the south as it would need to be NCTed here anyway...

It's an X-Type Jaguar diesel 2003.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

From your point of view, the buyer, it will give you an indication of what to expect when you NCT it. It doesn't cost that much so it shouldn't be an issue unless he has something to hide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

So you think you should believe the seller telling you that it pointless to have a new MOT on this car ??
    What is he hiding ?
    An mot is small money.
    The nct cannot be done until the VRT is paid to get an Irish reg on it.
    ALARM BELLS.

• Advertisement

Yes true but it is hassle for him as he's not based in the north, just gets cars in from there and moves them on. My gut tells me he's ok. He's happy for me to have it checked out by a mechanic, I don't know a whole lot about engines or symptoms of other possible issues so I guess that was what I was asking about paying for a comprehensive check.

I do appreciate any other advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

If it were me, for peace of mind I'd get it checked by AA or some other inspection service (there are others cheaper than AA if you search elsewhere on this forum for previous threads). A €300 check on a €6K purchase is a reasonable expense in my view. Others may feel that the inspection fee is a rip-off etc, but I'm just telling you what I'd do in your shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Spend the few quid it costs to get it checked by a local garage. Better that than regretting not doing it later.

So you think you should believe the seller telling you that it pointless to have a new MOT on this car ??
    What is he hiding ?
    An mot is small money.

At no point did he say that (pointless)...am merely pointing out that from his point of view if he's selling it in the south, it does not transfer. But I take the point that it would be a solid indicator of condition etc.

I did not think much of the fact that the MOT is a couple of months out. Perhaps this is naive on my part but I did not think it was a big deal....if it did have an MOT I think it would be selling for a higher price.
    The nct cannot be done until the VRT is paid to get an Irish reg on it.
    ALARM BELLS.

I realise this, thanks though.

HPI check it! I'd also want a new MOT and verification of the cars service history.

Many imports have secrets.

As regards HPI...I tried in vain but couldn't do it without an English postcode...tried some random ones but they seemed to need it to match the given address. I used motorcheck.ie but it did not give me much about the English history (It was in England before NI)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Your not going to get an AA check up north, its a mainland service the AA offer.

get it checked by the RAC (I think they offer someting similar) or a main dealer (tell them that you want the main dealer to service and check it, you pay the service if thats all that is required upon checking, if there is more, they pay all the dealers bill!). Alternatively get the dealer to throw in an extended third party warrenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

gandroid wrote: »
    As regards HPI...I tried in vain but couldn't do it without an English postcode...tried some random ones but they seemed to need it to match the given address.
    Ring HPI and ask them for an RAC check - it's the same thing and it only costs around £10. As Henry Ford III said, you need to check that the car has a full service history and verify this with the garages who stamped the book. If the history's incomplete/missing then assume the car's been clocked.

Advertisement