Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Style for this Forum - Your chance to choose

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

the fact is, the mod has to do their job based on peoples post's. in most cases they will know nothing about the poster, and will not have met them but surely that doesnt give a poster a carte blanche. I post in about 6 other forums and arguing with mods is not allowed on ANY of them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

colblimp wrote: »
    A ban that was totally unjustified. How Castie has the nerve to say I'm racist when he hasn't met me and knows nothing about me is an absolute disgrace, it's slanderous!

Anyway, I want to move on - I have better things to be talking about than mod decisions.

Id like to clear this up.
    I never called you racist but rather I banned you for racist remarks, completely different in my opinion.

Secondly please be aware if you want to acuse a mod of slander the admins have a very strict policy for dealing with such accusations.

As regards the unjustified part, a Cmod also deemed the offense worthy of a ban. So in my opinion this ban was fully justified and verified by a Cmod.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Arguing with a mod is generally an instant ban all across boards.

I see the Cork forum much like the Aviation forum I used to mod. Very self sufficient, mostly due to intelligent posters, and very little hassle. An easy forum to mod, because the users make it so. There's the odd sillyness with travellers comments and the PROC crowd coming in for a windup, but mostly, it's one of the better forums on boards.

corkcomp wrote: »
    the fact is, the mod has to do their job based on peoples post's. in most cases they will know nothing about the poster, and will not have met them but surely that doesnt give a poster a carte blanche. I post in about 6 other forums and arguing with mods is not allowed on ANY of them.

This thread I suppose you could say goes against that policy in order to encourage debate and allow people to air issues if they want.

Arguing with a mod is generally an instant ban all across boards.

I see the Cork forum much like the Aviation forum I used to mod. Very self sufficient, mostly due to intelligent posters, and very little hassle. An easy forum to mod, because the users make it so. There's the odd sillyness with travellers comments and the PROC crowd coming in for a windup, but mostly, it's one of the better forums on boards.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Since when has discussion been classed as arguing? :confused:

fair enough castie, but its the first time ive ever seen a mod debating a decision within public thread in any forum I frequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

castie wrote: »
    This thread I suppose you could say goes against that policy in order to encourage debate and allow people to air issues if they want.

While that is true, this is about the forum in general rather than a specific incident even if that incident has sparked off this thread. It would be better for this discussion if specific incidences were kept out of it.

mudokon wrote: »
    While that is true, this is about the forum in general rather than a specific incident even if that incident has sparked off this thread. It would be better for this discussion if specific incidences were kept out of it.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

+ 100000000000000000000

• Advertisement

fair enough castie, but its the first time ive ever seen a mod debating a decision within public thread in any forum I frequent.

Yup but he obviously feels I have wronged him so if he/she wishes to take it public in a mod feedback thread then so be it.

I must add that this is only being allowed in this thread as it is a mod feedback thread and all future debates will be done via PM.

Agreed but Im not going to stop someone from questioning a decision in this thread as it is about the approach taken to make decisions.

So in essence its up to the specific user if they want to air their issue.

castie wrote: »
    Agreed but Im not going to stop someone from questioning a decision in this thread as it is about the approach taken to make decisions.

So in essence its up to the specific user if they want to air their issue.

Fair enough, it's your thread & I appreciate that you are willing to discuss it openly but I can see this going round in circles then.

I can sense this getting ugly, in my opinion the sooner a decision is made as to whether a new mod / change in moderating practice is necessary the better!

:(:(:(

+1 to last two posters. colblimp is un-banned again now so I cant see where this can go except around in circles. if a cmod was already involved and upheld the ban then i guess they should be involved too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

How about everyone just forgets the incident, and discusses overall modding? That way the thread, and casties idea can progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

How about everyone just forgets the incident, and discusses overall modding? That way the thread, and casties idea can progress.

+1

Now everyone hug and make nice :D

+1

Now everyone hug and make nice :D

here here :).. (kingtut can get the tea:p)

Sounds like a great idea, while I hope the modding stays the same in here it will not make much difference to me either way as my posting will not change if there was an extra mod appointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

+1

Now everyone hug and make a nice tea

fyp

• Advertisement

cork45 wrote: »
    fyp

fyp?

And before it's said, so what if im a flipping noob :D

fyp?

And before it's said, so what if im a flipping noob :D

fixed your post :)

Oh wait im guessing it's something to do with altering one's posts in a quote for comedic affect.

Is comedic a word?:eek:

Oh wait im guessing it's something to do with altering one's posts in a quote for comedic affect.

Is comedic a word?:eek:

comic effect you mean!? you owe castie some of those brownies for fixing it... if you give them to me I'll eat them myself make sure he gets them

Let's not lose sight of the purpose of this thread - it is for discussing the way the forum is moderated.

Head over to the chit chat thread if you want to talk about tea....*coffee ftw*

kingtut wrote: »
    Let's not lose sight of the purpose of this thread - it is for discussing the way the forum is moderated.

You're not my mammy so don't tell me what to do or i'll bite your head off like a god damn jelly baby!

I kid I kid! Im going don't worry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

I think the only thing this forum really sees that any bit off track is when threads go off topic which itself is nothing really. There's always going to be an incident or two but when they are serious people will report them. As the saying goes........don't try and fix something that aint broken.

I think the only thing this forum really sees that any bit off track is when threads go off topic which itself is nothing really. There's always going to be an incident or two but when they are serious people will report them. As the saying goes........don't try and fix something that aint broken.

Ha ha, king tut might disagree there.:pac: I agree though the forum seems to get along nicely as it is.

Castie, If it turned out that another mod was appointed & you have laid out the ways that one would be appointed then is there a concensus on how the forum is moderated or is it left to each individual mod & the style they moderate with individually?

Is it possible to have a mod with a similar moderating style as yours as we have had a relaxed moderating system in here & it works well for this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 The Barron

Ludo wrote: »
    I would go for a third option. Keep modding style the same as it seems to be working quite well, but also add another mod. IMHO there should always be more than one mod of a forum. This can be of benefit to the users as well as the mod(s).

Just to get this back on topic.

There is a lot of work out there for just one Mod to deal with and an extra Mod might be helpful
    How that Mod is selected is up to the CMods but an other local Mod with local knowledge would be an asset

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

kingtut wrote: »

Someone's itching to become a mod.

Advertisement