Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Style for this Forum - Your chance to choose

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

mudokon wrote: »
    Ha ha, king tut might disagree there.:pac: I agree though the forum seems to get along nicely as it is.

Castie, If it turned out that another mod was appointed & you have laid out the ways that one would be appointed then is there a concensus on how the forum is moderated or is it left to each individual mod & the style they moderate with individually?

Is it possible to have a mod with a similar moderating style as yours as we have had a relaxed moderating system in here & it works well for this forum.

Charter is the Charter basically and then its up to the individual mod to decide how he/she enforces it. Dont think Id be in a position to tell another mod coming in that we only intervene when reported mainly unless we deem it necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

The Barron wrote: »
    Just to get this back on topic.

There is a lot of work out there for just one Mod to deal with and an extra Mod might be helpful
    How that Mod is selected is up to the CMods but an other local Mod with local knowledge would be an asset

Ah to be fair in the cork city forum there really isn't much stuff to have to deal with. Apart from the odd incident or stickying kingtuts drunken night out threads :D

The Barron wrote: »
    Just to get this back on topic.

There is a lot of work out there for just one Mod to deal with and an extra Mod might be helpful
    How that Mod is selected is up to the CMods but an other local Mod with local knowledge would be an asset

How do you know the workload thats there though?

At present I might get an average of 2-3 reported posts a week!

Thats hardly anything to be honest as Im sure PaintDoctor would agree.

And the only thing about bringing in a "local" as a mod would be that the whole thing of bias could be brought up again as the person would probably already have people they like/dislike around here etc etc

And the only thing about bringing in a "local" as a mod would be that the whole thing of bias could be brought up again as the person would probably already have people they like/dislike around here etc etc

Too true.
    I could see someone who is already a mod being appointed to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

cork45 wrote: »
    Someone's itching to become a mod.

No I am not!

If you were at all active in my meetup threads you would know that on a regular basis I ask people to keep the thread on topic and to discuss non meetup stuff in the chit chat thread - I am not saying it for the purpose of itching to become a mod. :rolleyes::mad:

kingtut wrote: »
    No I am not!

If you were at all active in my meetup threads you would know that on a regular basis I ask people to keep the thread on topic and to discuss non meetup stuff in the chit chat thread - I am not saying it for the purpose of itching to become a mod. :rolleyes::mad:

With people like this, who needs another mod? :)

Does some of the job with none of the power :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

No I am not!

Hey hey calm down and keep the thread on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

castie wrote: »
    Charter is the Charter basically and then its up to the individual mod to decide how he/she enforces it. Dont think Id be in a position to tell another mod coming in that we only intervene when reported mainly unless we deem it necessary.

I figured that but if & when another mod was being appointed as the mod who has been here for a while is your opinion asked for in what type of mod would suit a particular forum?

With people like this, who needs another mod? :)

Does some of the job with none of the power :)

lol thanks Castie, just don't want anyone (especially a person who never even posts in many of my threads) thinking I posted my comment about keeping this thread on topic just so I can be a mod).

To make it clear to cork45:

1) There is no mod position at present.
    2) I have never asked to be a mod.
    3) If I was made a mod I would want it to be because people wanted me to be one and not because I tried to come across as one :rolleyes:
    4) Castie already does a good enough job!
    5) I ask people to keep my meetup threads to just talking about meetups so people can easily avail of the details they need for the meetup hence posting multiple times with the message "please only use this thread for x topic"

• Advertisement

Hey hey calm down and keep the thread on topic.

My post was about moderating and therefore was on topic.

It would mainly be based off volunteers I suppose (never had to go through it before).
    Id imagine it could end up being someone I wouldnt even know.

Problem with creating a new mod is your giving another person access to modutils some of which are across all forums i.e user checks.

Hence why it makes more sense to share work across an existing mod team rather then recruiting each and every time.

My post was about moderating and therefore was on topic.

Ironic that a post explaining how you were on topic is actually off topic :)

It would mainly be based off volunteers I suppose (never had to go through it before).
    Id imagine it could end up being someone I wouldnt even know.

Problem with creating a new mod is your giving another person access to modutils some of which are across all forums i.e user checks.

Hence why it makes more sense to share work across an existing mod team rather then recruiting each and every time.

Someone like Faith who is a mod in plenty of forums and would have the experience while also being from Cork and knowing the story locally.

Ironic that a post explaining how you were on topic is actually off topic :)

ditto.

If the moderator feels like my comments are off topic / in-appropriate then they will follow the necessary course of action.

oh and once again I am talking about moderation so this once is on topic ;)

Someone like Faith who is a mod in plenty of forums and would have the experience while also being from Cork and knowing the story locally.

Faith would have a high workload as is though.

Faith would have a high workload as is though.

That's true alright i suppose....someone along those lines anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

lol thanks Castie, just don't want anyone (especially a person who never even posts in many of my threads) thinking I posted my comment about keeping this thread on topic just so I can be a mod).

To make it clear to cork45:

1) There is no mod position at present.
    2) I have never asked to be a mod.
    3) If I was made a mod I would want it to be because people wanted me to be one and not because I tried to come across as one :rolleyes:
    4) Castie already does a good enough job!
    5) I ask people to keep my meetup threads to just talking about meetups so people can easily avail of the details they need for the meetup hence posting multiple times with the message "please only use this thread for x topic"

Ah come on kingtut what age are ya five? Calm down I was taking the piss.
    Just because I don't post in your threads doesn't mean I don't read them, I know how active you are here and in fairness you do a good job with the meetup's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Purple Lemons for president mod!

Ah come on kingtut what age are ya five? Calm down I was taking the piss.
    Just because I don't post in your threads doesn't mean I don't read them, I know how active you are here and in fairness you do a good job with the meetup's.

Thanks its just that time of the month :o stalking my posts hey :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

This thread has made me laugh. It has gone off on tangents, a bit of humour thrown, small disagreements and yet continued without any heavy handed mod intervention. It feels like a pub conversation, which are not linear. This almost sums up the forum to me. There is a bit of leeway granted which makes things relaxed and friendly.That is all down to the current modding style.

I therefore change earlier opinion and vote that things say the same. God knows what kind of a little upstart we might get as a mod if a new one was appointed. Or worse again, an existing mod got added as a mod here. Most of them...I'll stop now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

I think ad additional mod is required (referably somebody who is active in the forum) but I agree things should stay the same otherwise i.e. no heavy handed modding of chit chat type banter unless some rules are clearly broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Very interesting discussion, I think two Mods might be better than one, nominating Dudess (who has seemingly retired from the Alt and Indie forum). As has been said many times, this is a pretty well behaved one. For the curious check out After Hours or the Radio forums for unpleasantness and worse.:eek:

Dan Dare wrote: »
    Very interesting discussion, I think two Mods might be better than one, nominating Dudess (who has seemingly retired from the Alt and Indie forum). As has been said many times, this is a pretty well behaved one. For the curious check out After Hours or the Radio forums for unpleasantness and worse.:eek:

I think the main reason this forum is pretty well behaved is 1. a lot of people know each other and 2. a lot of the posts here are general chit chat type stuff, not like the more heated debated over in AH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Hi guys,

Up until now ive been taking an approach of if someone doesnt complain/report a post/thread then its all fair game barring any abuse I may spot myself.

Now Its been flagged to me that some users may think I am acting out against them and then not acting against others and they have outright accused me of having a biased approach to modding this forum.

I can guarantee that I have previously shown no bias towards any users in making decisions.

If youve been infracted/banned/had a post deleted, in 9/10 of the cases youve been reported and I have then investigated and determined if action needed to be taken.

It now appears previously punished users may have a problem. They feel other users go unpunished for things which they feel warrant punishment.
    ( these issues are unreported and hence not investigated by myself. )

So the choice is here right now.

We can have the approach of "if its not reported no ones offended so lets keep the debate going" *

or

I can recruit 1/2 more mods and we can punish any and all incidents that we judge possibly offensive to users of this forum ( reported or not ).

Now Id mush rather the first approach and in my opinion its worked quite well and also requires less mod effort for the forum. In the end of the day though this is your forum and you should decide.

* within reason of course

Also may I add that if any user has issues with the current goings on in the forum regarding modding/rules please feel free to drop me a PM to discuss. I welcome feedback to help improve what we have here.

I think you are doing great here castie. I would not change a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

oeb wrote: »

+1
    Ya I feel the same, out of all the forums I visit ,this one is always friendly and Iv never seen any conflict really. Wer all about the love in Cork! :P
    Why change it if theres nothing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I don't post here much but read the threads regularly enough. The forum is modded perfectly, IMHO. There's only one locked thread in the main page at the present time; this thread was rightly locked too IMO.

I think if threads are unpopular they will naturally disappear into oblivion anyway.

And the small amount of times I've seen a posters getting bans/infractions they deserved it.

No problem with the modding here at all.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

oeb wrote: »
    +1. I really don't think there is a need for a second mod..Ii mean we're all adults who should be able to have friendly banter/debates... and if people do take a step too far or are abusive and people get offended... well that's what the report button is there for! That's just my 2 cents! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The only need for a second mod is if Castie wants a holiday. Even the best mods need some time off. However, if there is a second Mod who's going to keep the status quo here, it must be someone like Castie who reads the posts and threads but doesn't necessarily bring the ban hammer on every occassion.

• Advertisement

The only need for a second mod is if Castie wants a holiday. Even the best mods need some time off. However, if there is a second Mod who's going to keep the status quo here, it must be someone like Castie who reads the posts and threads but doesn't necessarily bring the ban hammer on every occassion.

exactly! I dont think anyone wants a second mod for the purpose of being heavy handed or calling people up for no good reason, but rather to help out

Advertisement