Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Style for this Forum - Your chance to choose

Options
124»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

corkcomp wrote: »
    exactly! I dont think anyone wants a second mod for the purpose of being heavy handed or calling people up for no good reason, but rather to help out

Problem is though unless you can clone me theres no real way of ensuring a smooth experience for all.

I used to mod on adverts and some things that one mod let go another would punish for. It wasnt a case of them being particularly harsh but just in there opinion it was deserved.

I usually let all sorts go but main aggravation is personal abuse and it gets people 7 day bans. Ive been clear about that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

castie wrote: »
    Problem is though unless you can clone me theres no real way of ensuring a smooth experience for all.

I used to mod on adverts and some things that one mod let go another would punish for. It wasnt a case of them being particularly harsh but just in there opinion it was deserved.

I usually let all sorts go but main aggravation is personal abuse and it gets people 7 day bans. Ive been clear about that before.

man, if that were an issue all forums would only have one mod. the way it appears to work is that whichever mod makes a call deals with it and other mods dont get involved .. otherwise it would never work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

looks like we'll need another poll on whether to clone castie or not. :pac:

man, if that were an issue all forums would only have one mod. the way it appears to work is that whichever mod makes a call deals with it and other mods dont get involved .. otherwise it would never work

This isnt all forums, this is our forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

of course. and if you are as active here on an ongoing basis as with the past two days any minor issues that existed should automatically be resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Gonna go off topic here but i saw that as a very braveheart-esque sort of post there. You wearing a kilt at the mo by any chance? :pac:

of course. and if you are as active here on an ongoing basis as with the past two days any minor issues that existed should automatically be resolved.

You have more posts then me in 3-4 years than I have in 9. That will tell you how much I actually post.

Im always here reading,watching...waiting :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Lurking.... Da daaa... da daaaaa..... Den den den den...... LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

I too am a lurker Castie, and I think leave it the way it was. Everything's gone pretty smoothly

My number one lurking tune. If unavailable the James Bond theme can suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

The correct and proper approach to modding (What I did when I was a mod), is to PM users causing hassle, and warn them without using the official system. Most people will react positively to this, and it takes no longer to send a pre-typed PM then it does to use the infraction/warning/PM system.

What's happening currently in this forum, is that people are banned/threads locked, without any attempt to steer conversations and debate in the right direction. It's as if the final steps are being taken before the initial steps.

I'm happy to help if you need a mod anyway, and it's not a dig directly at you Castie - but you can't be online all of the time, and reading all the threads. And the easiest option for you is to nip things in the bud, but sometimes a whisper can command attention better than a roar.

This is a great approach. I have never seen a boards mod do this personally.

Most boards mods are in a sense making their job more difficult for them by putting on the Cop hat. I think the issue is a lot of mods have more fun doing that than actually "moderating" though.

Internet mods in general need to learn that "moderation" means something that isn't locking and banning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Sandvich wrote: »
    This is a great approach. I have never seen a boards mod do this personally.

Most boards mods are in a sense making their job more difficult for them by putting on the Cop hat. I think the issue is a lot of mods have more fun doing that than actually "moderating" though.

Internet mods in general need to learn that "moderation" means something that isn't locking and banning.

To be fair, most boards mods do follow what PaintDoctor was saying. I am rarely banned from forums. (Twice I think), but when I am it's deserved and mostly I just get a PM saying "Mini, cop on"

I think the moderation here is well...in moderation. If noone is offended enough to report then why bother infracting? This isn't AH, it doesn't need the same approach. The way castie has been going is pretty good, I tend to read this alot but post a little and there are very few problems on this forum.

That said I did get an infraction the other day for something that on another forum would not even be looked at oddly. I suppose that drives home the differences in the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

To be fair, most boards mods do follow what PaintDoctor was saying. I am rarely banned from forums. (Twice I think), but when I am it's deserved and mostly I just get a PM saying "Mini, cop on"

I think the moderation here is well...in moderation. If noone is offended enough to report then why bother infracting? This isn't AH, it doesn't need the same approach. The way castie has been going is pretty good, I tend to read this alot but post a little and there are very few problems on this forum.

That said I did get an infraction the other day for something that on another forum would not even be looked at oddly. I suppose that drives home the differences in the forum.

I guess we've been to different forums. My experience of boards mods and other people I know's experiences haven't been fantastic precisely because they jumped the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Ok... I'm coming to this late and I've read most, but not all...

castie, IMHO you do a great job! I wouldn't change it. As someone who mods on very quiet well behaved forums, and busy, mostly well behaved forums I tend to agree that there is no need for another mod here.

I am the only mod in the Kerry forum and it doesn't need anyone else. Occasionally something kicks off, and if it is out of office hours I might be an hour or two getting to it, but I always get to it, and so far so good everyone is happy. I pretty much run it the way you do here. I read a lot, post a bit, and monitor all the time. I step in if I get a report or a PM, or if I read something I am unhappy with - and it works... just like it does here.

Stick with the formula that is working. If, however, you feel that there is a clash with a/group of posters then that is a different kettle of fish. I had that problem in another forum, and I chose to recruit an additional mod to deal specifically with that poster so that I could completely remove myself from dealing with them. It worked a treat. I picked someone that I knew would be responsible, was a helpful poster and that wasn't very well known, which I think is an important thing when it comes to bias, clashes etc.

I don't think you have that problem here tbh though, and so... as I already said, I'd stick with what you are doing. I think it's a 'savage' job ;)

Also, I don't back-seat mod so any time I have come across something here, which is very rare, I have reported it, like I would encourage all users to do... I spend more time here reading than posting, much like yourself castie, but if you feel you want help with the monitoring side of things, I'm happy to get trigger-happy with that report button!! :)

Advertisement