Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time handgun

Options
  • 05-04-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

has anyone applied and been granted a first handgun licence since the law changed?

tommy:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i have not got the licences for the firearms i have owned for 25 years yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

well considering i want to buy a walter p22 target pistol from duffys i think a licence is kind of necessary but wish i didnt need a licence at all

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    well considering i want to buy a walter p22 target pistol from duffys i think a licence is kind of necessary but wish i didnt need a licence at all

i had one , there a bad investment .it will miss fire a lot . sig the same .

jwshooter wrote: »
    i had one , there a bad investment .it will miss fire a lot . sig the same .

good to know.... can you recommend a different .22 pistol?

tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

tommy

Smith & Wesson 22A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

jwshooter wrote: »
    i have not got the licences for the firearms i have owned for 25 years yet.

Why wouldnt you get a licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭buckasssailor

ya my uncle has a p22 and it alwas jam`s and is very inacturate
    have head good things about the Ruger mk3 or mk2
    can hit a target out to 100 yards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

seanybiker wrote: »
    Why wouldnt you get a licence?

I think he refers to the guns temporarily taken from people all them years ago, although I thought that was about 35 years ago at this stage :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

I think he refers to the guns temporarily taken from people all them years ago, although I thought that was about 35 years ago at this stage :P

jwshooter is referring to the mess that is the new and improved firearms licencing system,
    that has left people with applications for renewals of firearms licenses,
    for firearms they have licensed for years previously,
    submitted to the Garda months ago,
    without having their renewals processed,
    and new licences issued to date.

Dvs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

oops that makes sense. Ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

If I had to pick a .22lr pistol this would be it.
    I held one before, felt good in hand.
    I already have a Glock model 22, but i'd like to have a .22lr as well for the craic.:D
    No chance of getting one though because of the security reg's one has to be at to have 2 restricted.

http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_18&products_id=144

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Hammerli xsesse is not a restricted firearm.

It may be referred to as such if you have magazines with a capacity greater than 5.

If you get a Gun Dealer - whoever you plan to buy it from - to alter the magazines so they cannot hold more than 5 and give you a letter to say as much then it is not a restricted firearm.

Saying "i'd like to have a .22lr as well for the craic" on the application form will not get you the result you would like.

B'Man

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've heard decent reports about the Hammerli Xesse. As a starter pistol. I cannot vouch for it personally as i don't shoot .22 pistol.

There are other (more expensive options) which you can go for, but i would hold off on putting out a large sum of money until you get the basics.

Just an opinion.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Bananaman wrote: »
    Hammerli xsesse is not a restricted firearm.

It may be referred to as such if you have magazines with a capacity greater than 5.

If you get a Gun Dealer - whoever you plan to buy it from - to alter the magazines so they cannot hold more than 5 and give you a letter to say as much then it is not a restricted firearm.

Saying "i'd like to have a .22lr as well for the craic" on the application form will not get you the result you would like.

B'Man
    I did not explain myself, I have 4 firearms, 1 restricted (Technically 2 as the .223 has a mod)and if i get another i am in the 5 or more bracket you see!
    Sorry if I was unclear
    I already have a glock .40S&W therefore reason for another would be hard to come up with :D If i had my way I'd have loads of stuff, but 4 will do me for now;)

........... 1 restricted (Technically 2 as the .223 has a mod)..........

Sorry to go off thread here a little, but can someone explain this to me.

I have a .223 also, with a mod and my license is unrestricted. I know that you need that magic "S" on your license to show you are authorised to hold, carry and use a mod on your rifle, and this (i presume) constitutes a license for the mod, but how can you have an unrestricted firearm that becomes restricted with the mod? If you were to tick the "unrestricted" box (on your application) and the mod box should you not be told to amend your application to a restricted one?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

ezridax wrote: »
    Sorry to go off thread here a little, but can someone explain this to me.

I have a .223 also, with a mod and my license is unrestricted. I know that you need that magic "S" on your license to show you are authorised to hold, carry and use a mod on your rifle, and this (i presume) constitutes a license for the mod, but how can you have an unrestricted firearm that becomes restricted with the mod? If you were to tick the "unrestricted" box (on your application) and the mod box should you not be told to amend your application to a restricted one?

In the words of a very wise man

NOT A JAYSUS CLUE :D
    I was told by the Sgt when i was applying that I was in the category 4 or under including restricted.
    I know others who had 5 and needed more security etc.
    I know a few that had 3 pistols and had to surender 1, as all my permits were unique and different I had an easy job saying what i wanted them for in my interview with the chief!
    Anybody i know who had very similar firearms , 2 x .308 2 x 9mm etc had a difficult time explaining.
    But prob should be on a different thread!;)

I ask only because everyone i've spoken to i've said the same thing each time. A .308 cal, bolt action, 5 (max) shot rifle is not restricted. Adding a mod does not change the dynamics of the rifle, increase the ammo amount, or turn it into a semi auto. Therefore it is still an unrestricted firearm.

I think the confusion may be with the issuing person. I was recently told of a lad refused a .270, bolt action, 4 shot, rifle license on the basis that its a "restricted" firearm.
    But prob should be on a different thread!;)

Anyway, as you said a debate for another day and another thread. Apologies for going off track.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The worst P"$$ER of this stupid "approved list" is that at the moment apart from every Super beliving that this list is engraved in stone[it isnt].
    Is,here are plenty of "old" classic.[IE yokes made of proper wood and steel] .22 target pistols going for a song [IE 200 Euros +/-] on the Continent.And it is a buyers market.Am really annoyed about this as there were two fine pistolswould have liked [Colt Huntsman,or a HI standard Military Citation Target ].
    But because they arent on "De lisht" They is restricted:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

One if the best .22 pistols on the market is a Beretta 87 and it's on the list.
    I applied for a liscence for one a few weeks back, I have 3 centrefire rifles..... Wonder how I'll get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I applied for a liscence for one a few weeks back, I have 3 centrefire rifles..... Wonder how I'll get on.
    its toss a coin time when applying for a pistol at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

I would be very interested in hearing about this too. I fired a Beretta 87 Target once before using a coke can as a target 25m away. All 10 rounds hit their mark.

Can you tell me what sort of money they go for BELOWaverage?

K
    Apologies for the thread hijack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I was talking to the local very helpful firearms officer earlier about the application/renewal for my .22 webley revolver, she told me that the higher ranking gardai are not asking the advise of the firearms policy unit but are going to the ballistics unit instead to inquire if a firearm is restricted or not.
    so i have one guy i rang in the fpu telling me the revolver is not restricted if i plug a chamber and another in the ballistics unit saying that there are no revolvers suitable for olympic shooting and therefore all revolvers are restricted.:mad:

Can you tell me what sort of money they go for BELOWaverage?

K
    Apologies for the thread hijack[/QUOTE]

They are just short of the €700 mark, a few dealers have pre ordered the serial numbers of a few but may want payment in full in advance and can only import one once your liscence has been granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

hey tommyboy26, there was some interesting advice on some of the various .22lr target pistol options here on this earlier thread, which might be of interest to you: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055801908

Hope that's of some help to you.

dCorbus wrote: »
    hey tommyboy26, there was some interesting advice on some of the various .22lr target pistol options here on this earlier thread, which might be of interest to you: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055801908

Hope that's of some help to you.

very ineresting and helpful thanks!

what dealer would you recommend buying a pistol from?

john lambert ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

The P22 has come a long way from the first offering when the firearm was plagued with jams. Since then, they have fixed magazines, however, it is still a far cry from the best that's out there.

The P22 and the Mosquito look cool, however, we need to know:
    1) what do you want to do
    2) how much do you want to spend

As someone else mentioned, the most bang for the buck is the Ruger series.
    Have a look here
    http://www.impactguns.com/store/ruger_rimfire_handguns.html
    I would recommend this one
    http://www.impactguns.com/store/736676101108.html

If you can afford the Hammerli and match target stuff, work away!

The 22lr is just an inferior round. It takes a very well designed auto to digest this round and spit out empties without problem.

Have you considered a revolver? Taurus makes some nice 7-shot 22LR's.

I'm sitting here in a state of shock, Beretta87 granted in less than 4 weeks.
    Happy as a pig in SH1t....:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Astounding!:cool:
    Fairplay BELOWaverageIQ and congrats!
    You'll have to give us all some pointers on form-filling-out.;)

Have seen (but unfortunately not yet shot) the Beretta87 - she's a lovely item of equipment!:) Best of luck and Good Shooting!

(P.S. If you don't mind me asking: What GS district are you in? PM if you don't want to post it!)

Advertisement