Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you guys hate Alex Reid?

• 05-04-2010 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

I'd say its a given, but the Bravo ad really does my head in.

Even the conditionals in the ad doesn't say much for him- "one of", "some of"

Do you hate him, of are you of the opinion "at least its giving out sport more exposure"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I don't, i watched a bit of CBB with the missus and he turns out to be a very very nice guy and not the thug the papers would have you believe.

I like him!

I just wish he wasn't a Mixed Martial Artist and he's gonna get his ass handed to him. he hasn't won a fight in over 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

He comes across like apretty nice guy whos just not that smart.
    He did show good potential early in his career and has been quite unlucky in his career. Check out his fight against Ninja or foupa pokam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Maybe I'm letting Jordon and appearing on Big Brother cloud my judgement, still seems like a bellend

efb wrote: »
    Maybe I'm letting Jordon and appearing on Big Brother cloud my judgement, still seems like a bellend

nah, if you've actually seen him on Big Brother it would've changed your mind about him.

Not once did he have a bad thing to say to or about anyone and seemed like a really cool guy.

When he went in it was to a relentless chorus of boos, then by the end he was the public's favourite and ended up winning it. I was actually happy for him.

He's still gonna get smashed badly in his fight though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Comes across as a good guy overall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

He was clearly playing the nice guy card on CBB and I am really amazed so many people fell for it.

He is a manipulative **** who is using Jordan to help his career.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    He was clearly playing the nice guy card on CBB and I am really amazed so many people fell for it.

He is a manipulative **** who is using Jordan to help his career.

His career is as a fighter. Going out with a famous tramp doesn't make you a better fighter.

Just ask this guy

Tito_Ortiz_Strategy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Whta exactly has he done to make you think people hate him??

His taste in women is poor and he doesnt appear to be a very good MMA fighter but apart from that I am at a loss to see the problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Petty more him than anything at the moment. Hopefully he is warehousing cash away from his wiife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

You cant hide been a knob for 4 weeks on a tele program, he's a decent guy and a bit dim but i would not hate or dislike him at all, plus lots of people would be happy to have jordan as a toy (sorry i meant bird) (sorry again, i meant girlfriend) Whatever your into-he looks like he has some abilities but may lack the killer instinct from what i've seen of him.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

I find it is wise not to judge people i havn't met (and also not to take to much notice of what i read in the gutter press)

And I then judge people on how they treat me, not on the word of others!

Just my few cents:)

MrStuffins wrote: »
    His career is as a fighter. Going out with a famous tramp doesn't make you a better fighter.

Just ask this guy

Tito_Ortiz_Strategy.jpg

He wants to be an actor.

cowzerp wrote: »
    You cant hide been a knob for 4 weeks on a tele program

Of course you can. It was so obvious he was putting on an act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I don't hate him. I do hate people who irrationally hate other people however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Don't watch that big brother bollocks
    Don't read scabloid 'news'papers

So I dunno nothing about how he is percieved or anything, but didn't he fight in the pre lims for TUF uk v usa? If its the same bloke then he's a game ****er! Kept getting hit and kept screaming to the other bloke to keep hitting him....needless to say that approach lost him a decision but fair do's he kept going

Devastator wrote: »
    Don't watch that big brother bollocks
    Don't read scabloid 'news'papers

So I dunno nothing about how he is percieved or anything, but didn't he fight in the pre lims for TUF uk v usa? If its the same bloke then he's a game ****er! Kept getting hit and kept screaming to the other bloke to keep hitting him....needless to say that approach lost him a decision but fair do's he kept going

http://www.ultimatefighter.com/fight-videos/tuf-9-alex-reid-dean-amasinger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I couldnt give a toss about him. He might be a good bloke, he might not be..

Who gives a ****??? :confused::confused:

Jesus, UFC is ****.

Good man.
    I couldnt give a toss about him. He might be a good bloke, he might not be..

Who gives a ****??? :confused::confused:

The OP?

Jesus, UFC is ****.

In comparison to what, and in what sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Before he went into that Big Brother thing i didn't know a lot about the guy, i saw him on TUF (Elimination fights) and he came across as a knobhead, and my thoughts were like that until i saw him on Big Brother.

After watchin a few (:rolleyes:) episodes i changed my mind, i really thought he was a decent guy, very nice but also very dim. Some people have said it was all an act, there's no way you can keep up and act 24/7 for 3/4 weeks, Vinny Jones doesn't suffer fools gladly and he thought he was ok.

Now he's out of the house he's letting that cnuting wife of his run his life, there was an interview wit him in one of this week's Sunday Magazines that she totally ran.

I can't see him ever winning again in the octagon, IF, he fights Watson in a few weeks he'll be destroyed, but IMO i don't think the fight will take place, he'll end up pulling out with an injury

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

scudzilla wrote: »
    Before he went into that Big Brother thing i didn't know a lot about the guy, i saw him on TUF (Elimination fights) and he came across as a knobhead, and my thoughts were like that until i saw him on Big Brother.

After watchin a few (:rolleyes:) episodes i changed my mind, i really thought he was a decent guy, very nice but also very dim. Some people have said it was all an act, there's no way you can keep up and act 24/7 for 3/4 weeks, Vinny Jones doesn't suffer fools gladly and he thought he was ok.

Now he's out of the house he's letting that cnuting wife of his run his life, there was an interview wit him in one of this week's Sunday Magazines that she totally ran.

I can't see him ever winning again in the octagon, IF, he fights Watson in a few weeks he'll be destroyed, but IMO i don't think the fight will take place, he'll end up pulling out with an injury

I think you might be confusing the real Vinny Jones with a character he played in a Guy Ritchie movie.

Jesus, UFC is ****.

I've give it 5 Stars rather than 4 but whatever you think yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

dlofnep wrote: »
    In comparison to what, and in what sense?
    K1 or boxing. Wrestling or Judo I suppose if you are into that.

All these guys you see in this are usually poor/average strikers or wrestlers and the end result leaves a lot to be desired. It's a very unnatural sport where if you want to wrestle you can and most bouts I have seen just end up as wrestling contests.

All these guys you see in this are usually poor/average strikers or wrestlers and the end result leaves a lot to be desired. It's a very unnatural sport where if you want to wrestle you can and most bouts I have seen just end up as wrestling contests.

Your post demostrates extreme ignorance. Boxers will naturally be crisp at boxing, K-1 kickboxers will naturally be crisp at kickboxing. MMA competitors have to grasp all 3 ranges of combat. Look at Kenny Florian - Solid muay thai, decent wrestling and a great ground game.

So you like Wrestling........ but knock MMA for turning into a Wrestling contest?

If you don't like MMA then go post in one of the many other forums available to you. There are plenty.

See ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

this is going to be the fight of my life

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

You dont write for the Sunday Indo do you? :pac:

this is going to be the fight of my life

I love how the voiceover guy is saying "He has been studying some of the deadliest martial arts in the world...." or whatever and there's images of him in the background doing all the martial arts.

Cheesy as hell haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

AARRRGH wrote: »
    He wants to be an actor.

He was surprisingly not horrible in that Crow film he was in. Maybe it was just the fact there were so many **** actors in that film though :-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

As a MMA fan, I don't have a problem with Reid, I just don't think he's a good fighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Ah, he seems fairly harmless... shame that he's a MMA fighter as he'll be mashed up in his fight against that Kong fella... he'll make better and far easier money on the telly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I don't particularly like the guy and even though he is not much of a fighter, he is great publicity for MMA which it needs in the UK and he could bring a wider range of people into MMA from the UK and Ireland.

BAMMA are also doing a good job promoting this card because I saw on Bravo tonight a sort of a countdown show featuring him in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I don't hate him at all. I never watched that reality show thing but my Ma did and she said he was decent so that's good enough for me :pac:

TBH he seems alright, i had a chuckle at his ad on the telly and I'm suspicious of his shot gun marriage with Katie Price (who I actually also like but i overlook her bitchy/ambitious/ruthless side).

I wish him the best, I hope he doesn't get mauled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I've actually debated the pros and cons of Reid before and after Big Brother on sherdog.

Pre BB, the press hated his guts because of Jordan. Therefore they used him as a means of bashing "cage fighting" and used cage fighting as a means of bashing him. I remember seeing an article that claimed his cauliflower ears were caused by being bitten during fights... As a result the pre-BB Reid was a very bad thing for the general perception of MMA.

Since BB, which I also saw a lot of with the missus, the public absolutely love him. Whether we like it or not, he is now good PR for MMA in general. Because they want to show him in a positive light to fit in with the public's love of him, there are far less articles on the savagery of cage fighting that the brute Alex Reid is involved in, and far more mention of MMA and the skills involved.

As far as the guy himself goes, I also believe that he is genuinely a nice but dim guy. I think during the diary room stuff he did seem to be putting on an act because I thought he was trying to appear intelligent (:D) and intellectual but in the day to day house stuff I thought he was just a nice guy. The witch he married though, can't stand her. Read an interview recently and apparently she was sitting in and controlling the interview by way of dirty looks and how tight she gripped his hand.

He has admitted himself recently that he isn't training and eating as he should because of his "responsibility as a husband", i.e. she wants to leave him with the kids while she pisses off shopping.

Vinnie Jones and Dane Bowers summed it all up perfectly during BB. The public like him now, he can use that publicity to promote his sport and/or springboard into movies/TV. But if he stays with her, eventually she'll ruin his career, both MMA and acting, and the public will turn against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

He's seems to be chasing the limlight a while now. I watched a re-run of Britians hardest a few weeks ago on a very sleepless night, none the less he was a corner man for one of the lads on it .... and being a knob at that.

Advertisement