Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chinese phones

Options
  • 05-04-2010 11:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭

has anyone purchased phones from chinese websites?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I kno a few people who bought some off them. They knew before buying them that they where knock offs so the spec would be crap compared to the proper phones so in that sense they got what they wanted. It might look the part but thats about it. Sometimes they dont even look the part lol. One of the lads bought a nokia N98 a few months ago lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

i got a one myself and you can only charge it through the laptop,there fine if you just want the basic phone to make and recieve calls.not sure what life ill get from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,239 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I wouldn't be plugging it into anything smaller than a skip, i've seen one literally blow up. It was more than likely wired by a 6yr old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭_tony_

China produces a massive amount of everything these days. You will typcially get what you pay for.

If your motivation is to get some cheap piece of crap...some company in China will definately be selling one. It will be very cheap, and it will be junk.

If you want to get a phone that is just different from the ones you see going around here - you can get a nice phone. Keep an eye on the brand you are getting - have a look at some of their department stores' websites (I don't know if GoMe has an english website?)...these will give you an idea of what the normal (set/RRP) price of the good models are, and you will get to see which brands are better.

Currently, many popular phones from there will include a TV tuner (i.e. you could watch RTE/Tv3 on your phone), and some will include dual sim support. Others will be dual phones: GSM and 088-equivilent. These will not have a huge advantage to you in Ireland. A company in China started to re-use the old 088-equivilent network in china where they give you 100% free calls and text messages if you purchase one of their phones..hence why they are selling 088-equivilent phones, they only have coverage in some large cities though.

I don't know what I can say about people who will tell you that all phones from China are all crap/unreliable/made with child labour/etc... As in any large country - you have a huge range of goods, you can get cheaper stuff than here, and you can also get more expensive/better quality stuff than here. Chances are, if you are buying ANY phone in ANY country, it has been made in the same factories in ShenZhen in China (including iPhone, excluding Nokia i think).

Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Advertisement
Advertisement