Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve - Interview/Report-Writing (see Moderator note: POST#1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

A.G.S wrote: »
    hi guys is there anything i should bring with me to the interview? like a c.v etc

publicjobs will inform you of everything you're required to bring. I think they require a birth cert and Leaving cert results. You can bring your own personal notes also. You should receive a copy of your application form when you get there but i brought my own to be safe. They dont require a c.v, the application form acts as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

eru123 wrote: »
    . I think they require a birth cert and Leaving cert results..

I'm doing my leaving cert in June.so I wont have my results to bring to the interview will this be a problem? I just put down on my application form that I'm awaiting my results August 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭jc1980

Yes, unfortunitly you do need to bring your leaving cert results with you. Don't lose the original when you get them in August. They are very strict and will not accept a photocopy. I had to get a certified copy from the exams board and they were happy to take that but it just created hassle.

jc1980 wrote: »
    Yes, unfortunitly you do need to bring your leaving cert results with you. Don't lose the original when you get them in August. They are very strict and will not accept a photocopy. I had to get a certified copy from the exams board and they were happy to take that but it just created hassle.

yes but my interview is on the 25th I put down that I'm awaiting the results and still got an interview so I'm curious.

Seams a bit strange alright, unless the process has changed since I did my interview, but from what I can remember you give the receptionist your birth cert, leaving cert results and ID and she takes a copy of them. Then you get told where your interview will be. Could be an idea just to ring them tomorrow and double check its alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

Hmm, the requirements state that you should " Have before the date of application to be accepted as a reserve trainee obtained, in the Irish Established Leaving Certificate Examination or Irish Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme ....:"

From that i would think that they should not have given you an interview date without having obtained your leaving cert results. You'll probably pass the interview on condition that you achieve the requirements in the LC. After 31st of August you will probably proceed to the next stage. I know its probably not the correct thing to do but i'd say nothing and go ahead with the interview. If you ask to many questions they might cancel your application and requre you to re apply once you've received your results. Then again they may turn you away on the interveiw day!! Doubt they would though. Only my opinion though!

yes I rang ahead before i sent my application form and asked public jobs will i still be accepted for interview even tho i haven't my leaving cert done yet.And they said it was no problem as long as I'm 18 because the waiting list is so long anyway so i think if i pass the interview i will get a deferral till i get my results.

If they say its ok then you shouldnt have any problem, might be best just to bring something to say that you are sitting the leaving cert this year just so they have a record of it. Its a long long process.

jc1980 wrote: »
    If they say its ok then you shouldnt have any problem, might be best just to bring something to say that you are sitting the leaving cert this year just so they have a record of it. Its a long long process.

yeah i shall ring tomorrow anyway to double check.yeah i no its a long process.but i only applied Monday and already have an interview so its getting there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RosieMarie_91

Ive my interview at begining of Febuary. Cannot wait even though im a bit nervous...any tips from anyone who has done the 1st interview...what is it like?? What is involved?? This is the one thing i want soooo much i dont want to mess it up!!

Thanks guys. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Ive my interview at begining of Febuary. Cannot wait even though im a bit nervous...any tips from anyone who has done the 1st interview...what is it like?? What is involved?? This is the one thing i want soooo much i dont want to mess it up!!

Thanks guys. :D

Mod Note: Welcome to both boards and to our Reserve forum. I have moved your post in here. Please pay more attention to where you are posting in this forum. Also, have a look through our FORUM CHARTER to know exactly what information is allowed to be posted in the forum in general.
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kieronmc

Hi folks,

Have my interview and written test tomorrow. I'm quite worried about the questions they may ask, i don't know any Gardai nor do i know any body who is in the reserve.

I understand this is last minute, but i only received the letter and confirmation last week. Any tips on what to expect and some helpful preparation tips would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

kieronmc wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Have my interview and written test tomorrow. I'm quite worried about the questions they may ask, i don't know any Gardai nor do i know any body who is in the reserve.

I understand this is last minute, but i only received the letter and confirmation last week. Any tips on what to expect and some helpful preparation tips would be greatly appreciated.

How did you get on? Have mine on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

searescue wrote: »
    How did you get on? Have mine on Tuesday.

Hi searescue, welcome to our Garda Reserve forum :)

On the day of your interview & report-writing you will arrive with your certs and I.D. and present them to the person present when you check-in and register.
    Then, it changes for people as it depends on whether you have your interview in the morning or in the afternoon.
    The information that P.A.S. would have sent you out has everything you need to succeed, it really does. Just focus on that and you will be okay for the report-writing. Some people even have time to spare at the end but I remember only having a few minutes. Their will be a clock in the room and the supervisor keeps you informed aswell throughout.
    Regarding the interview then: I brought up my own copy of the submitted form but they also give you a copy on the day aswell so don't worry if you forget a copy yourself. It was very relaxed for me and very fair. Before you know it, it will be over and you're on the way home analyzing everything you said in there and waiting anxiously for the result :).

Good Luck to everyone waiting on stage1 date or results.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cash_123

HI all.

Had the interview and written test today. Went ok but i didnt get the written part finished, was two sentences away from finishing but those two sentences had two pieces of information that should of been included. Has this ever happened anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

I didnt finish my written part either, was a few lines away like yourself and i still passed so try not to worry

Tripp wrote: »
    I didnt finish my written part either, was a few lines away like yourself and i still passed so try not to worry

Hi tripp, thanks for the reply. Its a relief to hear that! Was getting worried about it. Do they actually giveyou a percentile score or do they just tell you pass or fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

"you have been successful" or "pfo"

no grading

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pauric.Mc

Hi all

Got my call for the interview for reserves next Wednesday in donegal at 3, getting a wee bit worried now as what to expect. What kind off questions should I prepare myself for and should I wear a suit?

Anybody else get called for next Wednesday the 9th?

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Pauric.Mc wrote: »
    Hi all

Got my call for the interview for reserves next Wednesday in donegal at 3, getting a wee bit worried now as what to expect. What kind off questions should I prepare myself for and should I wear a suit?

Dont worry its a simple interview. Just answer the questions honestly.
    <Mod Snip
    Important to keep eye contact, be calm , speak slowly and clearly. Make sure you get there early in order to relax and prepare yourself.

Panel may be 1 or 2 civil servants with a retired senior or serving officer at the rank of Supt or above.

Have the answer to why you want to join the GR rehersed and ready. Also how you feel about joining a service which has structure and a chain of command. Take some time to read up on the GR and AGS especially who is the current commissioner and minister for justice.

re: mod snip:- Mod Note: As per our forum charter: helping someone is fine but telling someone what is in an examination is in breach of our charter. You have been posting in here long enough now to have read our forum charter HERE. I am issuing you with a formal warning.

Please don't hesitate in sending me a PM should you feel the need to.
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement

Hi all.

Got my interview on tuesday up in Donegal. Bit nervous! :rolleyes: Cant wait!! Good luck to everyone else who has interviews. :)

Hi Guys,

Had my interview last wednesday and just got my letter today that I passed the interview. Bring on the BR Form! Good luck to anyone else waiting on their result.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 buster28

Pauric.Mc wrote: »
    Hi all

I am the same - got called for interview this Wed in Donegal. I'm a little worried too as to what to expect so any advice at all is welcomed!

buster28 wrote: »
    I am the same - got called for interview this Wed in Donegal. I'm a little worried too as to what to expect so any advice at all is welcomed!

Had my interview today in Donegal...there very nice so i wouldnt worry to much. I dressed smart and so did everyone else who was there. I was really worried but they make you feel at ease really quickly. Good luck is all i can say. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 buster28

Had my interview today in Donegal...there very nice so i wouldnt worry to much. I dressed smart and so did everyone else who was there. I was really worried but they make you feel at ease really quickly. Good luck is all i can say. :)

Hi RosieMarie,
    Thanks so much for replying - you have now put my mind a little more at ease!

Fingers crossed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Hugo13

I have my interview next week. Just wondering if anyone had any tips regarding the written report exercise. Is it difficult/is there much practice that can be done for it?
    Any other information/tips for the interview would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Falony

Hi all
    I sent off my application last janurary i think the interviews for my area are on in april. Does anyone know what kind of notice do you get to be called for interview thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

Hi I was wondering, you know the way public jobs sends you out familiarization notes for the report writing exercise when you get a date to attend? Well I was wondering if there is any such material on the website or anywhere else that can help with the interview?

Falony wrote: »
    Hi all
    I sent off my application last janurary i think the interviews for my area are on in april. Does anyone know what kind of notice do you get to be called for interview thanks

I got about 2 weeks notice for my interview

• Advertisement

ghost86 wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering, you know the way public jobs sends you out familiarization notes for the report writing exercise when you get a date to attend? Well I was wondering if there is any such material on the website or anywhere else that can help with the interview?

Very little as far as I could see. To be honest stick with the one they send you, and just concentrate on familiarising yourself with that. There is only so much practice you can do. It's a straight forward exercise, in my opinon, if you read the report carefully and use your common sense.
    On the day, it is also very clearly explained and you are given time to go through practice examples.

Advertisement