Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin 705 - Best cycle computer around the €400 mark?

• 05-04-2010 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Going to making the purchase of a Garmin 705 soon.

Is there any other computers I should be looking at?

How do Garmin owners find them? Are they good quality and work consistently?

Any where to get cheap ones?

Any suggestions are appreciated greatly!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Purpose is key ...
    705 is your only option if you need map, speed, cadence, HR, power and downloadability for PC analysis.

If you just need a subset of these, much cheaper and more reliable things can be had. If I needed just speed, cadence and HR ... the 705 would probably be at the bottom of the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It is flaky but a lot better than when they first came out. I don't think there is anything else close to it, I would recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

only cycle computer at the £400 mark ?

i guess someone is going to correct me at this point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

Have to say im impressed with the 705 but if you dont need the map function you could get the new Garmin 305

Con

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

FWIW, I find the Polar CS400 great as a pure HRM without any GPS or mapping function. I don't have any experience with other units, but I like the Polar's display, functionality and build quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

If you have even a trace of a nerdy gene in you, you will love the 705. If you are the type of person who can spend an hour just staring at a map, then it is a definite.

I love it in particular for the confidence it gives you when heading out into the great unknown that you will not get hideously lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

If you don't NEED mapping functions I can definitely recommend the Edge 500.

For metrics I cant fault it so unless you will need your GPS to guide you around a particular route then it's worth considering (although the edge can guide you around uploaded courses though not in a turn-by-turn fashion)

You'd have a bit of change left from the e400 to put into other stuff then too (extra cadence sensor for training/B bike could be one thing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Purpose is key ...
    705 is your only option if you need map, speed, cadence, HR, power and downloadability for PC analysis.

If you just need a subset of these, much cheaper and more reliable things can be had. If I needed just speed, cadence and HR ... the 705 would probably be at the bottom of the list.

Yea, all of the all above are what I'm hoping for. I've got a Polar CS200cad at the moment and it doesn't do PC downloads well very (at all for the last few months, the sonic software to communicate with the PC is a bit of joke and the info you get is nearly useless)
    blorg wrote: »
    It is flaky but a lot better than when they first came out. I don't think there is anything else close to it, I would recommend.

Thanks for that, I've heard they're flaky at times. Hopefully they've sorted this out by now and if not the customer service is good enough to replace faulty items!
    only cycle computer at the £400 mark ?

i guess someone is going to correct me at this point

Yea, I meant are they're any other computers that do the same function +/- the €400 range, as that's what I'm happy to spend or less ideally.
    jag con wrote: »
    Have to say im impressed with the 705 but if you dont need the map function you could get the new Garmin 305

Con

Yea mapping function is the main reason for the upgrade from the Polar CS200cad, want to be able to go to France with it and use the map to get me around.
    beans wrote: »
    FWIW, I find the Polar CS400 great as a pure HRM without any GPS or mapping function. I don't have any experience with other units, but I like the Polar's display, functionality and build quality.
    oflahero wrote: »
    If you have even a trace of a nerdy gene in you, you will love the 705. If you are the type of person who can spend an hour just staring at a map, then it is a definite.

I love it in particular for the confidence it gives you when heading out into the great unknown that you will not get hideously lost.

Haha, that's it in a nutshell!

That was something I meant to ask earlier - can I upload a map from http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/ or similar site ? And then just follow that route for the day?
    CheGuedara wrote: »
    If you don't NEED mapping functions I can definitely recommend the Edge 500.

For metrics I cant fault it so unless you will need your GPS to guide you around a particular route then it's worth considering (although the edge can guide you around uploaded courses though not in a turn-by-turn fashion)

You'd have a bit of change left from the e400 to put into other stuff then too (extra cadence sensor for training/B bike could be one thing)

So is the navigation not done turn by turn - how so if not that way?

One final thing. Does anyone use the 705 with a power meter. I've no use for a power meter at the moment, but for the future... Does it work well? I watched a video on YouTube where they referred to the power "bands" does it do a simple watts or watts/hr calculation as well.

Cheers all for the advice

Oh that was something else... does anyone know if the one I'm going to buy off CRC or Wiggle has good detailed maps for both Ireland and France?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

72hundred wrote: »
    Does anyone use the 705 with a power meter. I've no use for a power meter at the moment, but for the future... Does it work well? I watched a video on YouTube where they referred to the power "bands" does it do a simple watts or watts/hr calculation as well.

Yes the 705 does this well, as does the 500. Pretty much all the wireless powermeters use the Ant+ protocol.

So the Garmins are a common choice for power metering, and the only choice if you also want GPS, the other main choices being the computers that come from the powermeter manufacturers (the old Saris one for the Powertap is a bit crap, the SRM one is apparently good). The new Saris Joule does some fancy power stuff, but that's more expensive and again doesn't have GPS.

The main advantage of GPS on a power meter is that you can use the location data to identify specific efforts in a race using Garmin Training Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

So is the navigation not done turn by turn - how so if not that way?

Create TCX file for course in garmin training centre, copy to unit, [unit regiggers it to file type it prefers], load course, follow line on screen, like below.

IMG_5333_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800
    FROM DCRAINMAKER REVIEW - v comprehensive

Useful if you use the same routes for training regularly and want to compare performances over time

From your description that you want to go to France and be guided by it, definitely get the 705 with the maps. It is incomparably better for navigation than the 305 was (which I had before.) The 500 is hobbled for navigation even compared to the 305 I believe. I didn't think I would have much use for the maps but since I got it found them invaluable. I have done several long, complicated tours in Ireland, Spain, France and Italy on it across tiny back roads with turns every few km which would be impossible to follow on a map.

From your description that you want to go to France and be guided by it, definitely get the 705 with the maps. It is incomparably better for navigation than the 305 was (which I had before.) The 500 is hobbled for navigation even compared to the 305 I believe. I didn't think I would have much use for the maps but since I got it found them invaluable. I have done several long, complicated tours in Ireland, Spain, France and Italy on it across tiny back roads with turns every few km which would be impossible to follow on a map.

Yea, that's the general idea. Just enjoy the cycling instead of getting lost every 5 minutes over the there / in Ireland!

I've been looking at the Garmin site and it looks like they sell you a micro sd card (or something like that) with the european maps on for for £80, which is pretty expensive! I was hoping that they'd cover all of Europe with one map. Going to look into open source alternative though that might work ; http://www.velorider.co.uk/wp02/?p=42 .

One other thing, the maps are labelled "City Navigator" which I guessing is just a brand and doesn't mean that they're limited to just the cities?

CheGuedara wrote: »

FROM DCRAINMAKER REVIEW - v comprehensive

God that site does unreal detailed reviews! Its a great find.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2008/12/garmin-edge-705-review.html

One other thing, the maps are labelled "City Navigator" which I guessing is just a brand and doesn't mean that they're limited to just the cities?
    That is just the brand, it covers all the roads in most countries, all of Western Europe anyway.

That is just the brand, it covers all the roads in most countries, all of Western Europe anyway.

Great. Did you buy off CRC or wiggle?

Great. Did you buy off CRC or wiggle?
    I bought from eBay from a seller called direct_web_retail. Be careful if buying from eBay as if you don't buy from an authorised Garmin seller they won't honour the warranty (which you will need :pac:) Direct Web Retail were an authorised seller.

Others have reported best prices on Handtec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

the free OSM maps are fairly decent in ireland, and excellent on the continent(arguably too detailed in germany last time i was there)... who needs to know where the power lines run?

I bought from eBay from a seller called direct_web_retail. Be careful if buying from eBay as if you don't buy from an authorised Garmin seller they won't honour the warranty (which you will need :pac:) Direct Web Retail were an authorised seller.

Others have reported best prices on Handtec.

Cheers, that handtech place is about €80 cheaper aright. But to be honest I'm expecting to have a few issues with it and Wiggle and CRC have been excellent in the past for dealing with returns so I'd almost just pay the extra to know I was dealing with a large company with good customer rep. (Is it mad to acknowledge you need good warranty when about to buy!?!)
    the free OSM maps are fairly decent in ireland, and excellent on the continent(arguably too detailed in germany last time i was there)... who needs to know where the power lines run?

That's really cool, can they be uploaded to the 705?

EDIT: That knowledge of the power lines might be needed for a Top Gear like invasion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Wk-hcjVTg !!!

Cheers, that handtech place is about €80 cheaper aright. But to be honest I'm expecting to have a few issues with it and Wiggle and CRC have been excellent in the past for dealing with returns so I'd almost just pay the extra to know I was dealing with a large company with good customer rep. (Is it mad to acknowledge you need good warranty when about to buy!?!)

Seller makes no difference. All warranty issues/returns are directly with Garmin.

• Advertisement

Returns are done directly to Garmin and they have a VERY fast turnaround, so it doesn't really matter where you buy as long as you are covered, e.g you bought it from a non-eBay seller or an eBay seller who is an authorised Garmin seller.

If it breaks they give you a new (refurbished) one. If it was your fault (crash etc.) there is a charge but around a third/quarter of what you pay new (I think £100 for a 705.)

Ah right that's interesting.... I think I might go with the Handtec guys so.

Went ahead and ordered tonite, off CRC, as the handtec guys were outta stock.

Thanks all for the help with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

where is the best value for the maps for 705

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

That's really cool, can they be uploaded to the 705?

Yep a few sites do garmin packaged up copies of the OSM maps , http://andrewmccarthy.ie/osm/ is what i've got on my 705 at the mo

It has arrived :D:D:D!

Delighted to have it. One quick question though - does plugging it into the PC USB charge it? I as I've read in several places on that for the first charge you should let it go down to completely flat or it will effect battery longevity. (Like all Lithium batteries).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

One quick question though - does plugging it into the PC USB charge it? I as I've read in several places on that for the first charge you should let it go down to completely flat or it will effect battery longevity. (Like all Lithium batteries).

yes. Dunno about that second bit. I never did.

I've read in several places on that for the first charge you should let it go down to completely flat or it will effect battery longevity. (Like all Lithium batteries).

That sounds very wrong. Link.

One of the review sites mentions the 3hr thing. Must see if I can find it again.

EDIT: Got it here; http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/05/review-garmin-e/
    TIRED
    Must run the battery all the way down before the first charge or you’ll only get about three hours of use.

• Advertisement

Anyone know a way of comparing laps in the garmin training centre... it compares activities, but doesn't seem to do laps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

I use sport tracks with mine, much better than connect and more functions.

I use sport tracks with mine, much better than connect and more functions.

Thanks for that. I've found a website though that adds really high detailed maps in Training Centre, its really really good!

http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

You click the tiles you want and enter your email (its not spam, its legit, as they're compiling the .exe for you) and run it when they email it to you. Then inside TC the option for "OSM World Routable" comes up instead of "Base PC Map".

I've read online that sportcentre is a good alternative, but I can't see any features that make it better when playing around with it. For instance it doesn't seem to pick up on laps within a cycle (there may be a setting for seeing this I'm missing).

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Hi,

I reckoned I'd post in this thread rather than start another. Having spent Saturday cycling aimlessly around the back roads of Mayo, I think it's time I invested in a GPS.

In keeping with my general cycling philosophy, I have no interest in speed, cadence, HR, power, etc. I'm just interested in knowing WTF I am! ;)

So, I know the Garmin 705 would do everything I might ever need, but if I just want a GPS that will work for cycling touring, any thoughts?

I guess the cycling specific aspects I am looking for would be;
    A) very detailed 'road' granularity (I was very lost)
    B) fixable to the bike
    C) waterproof
    D) good battery life
    E) easily viewable.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

DFD*

*DoneFindingDetours.

So, I know the Garmin 705 would do everything I might ever need, but if I just want a GPS that will work for cycling touring, any thoughts?

Don't assume that a 705 will do everything you need. The dynamic routing is absolutely hopeless, there is no via function, the maps are often unreadable at larger scales on the tiny screen, and it'll give you a list of six different Brittases, none of which are where you want to go.

Compared to the Garmin in-car products a 705 is a pathetic little turdspurt of a device.

On the flipside, it is very good if you plan your route in advance and stick to it, and the data recording is mostly excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

+1 and the Altimeter is crap and about as waterproof as Bog Roll !

Oh Yeah, and the mount is pure SH!TE !! :mad:

... and dont even get me started on that f@&king cadence sensor !!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

For that kinda money you could get a decent cycle computer and get mapping software on a decent smartphone, you won't be needing the GPS the whole time so it's not too much an inconvenience having to look at your phone. Can leave an earphone in and listen to the directions if needs be,

Lumen wrote: »
    ...a list of six different Brittases, none of which are where you want to go.

Compared to the Garmin in-car products a 705 is a pathetic little turdspurt of a device.

This is an outrageous display of bias. I would have to inform the neutral reader that this venomous petulance was occasioned by not knowing his Brittasses to begin with, and a 705 being responsible for directing a group up a shocking gradient last weekend which above poster chose to do in the big ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Simona1986 wrote: »
    For that kinda money you could get a decent cycle computer and get mapping software on a decent smartphone, you won't be needing the GPS the whole time so it's not too much an inconvenience having to look at your phone. Can leave an earphone in and listen to the directions if needs be,

Even better, don't get an expensive smartphone, get any (for example) Nokia that has GPS built in - I use an n82 or 6110, and power up the gps if you want to/when you are lost. I intend to relegate one of these to exactly this task when I upgrade to a decent smartphone :)

The downside of smartphones is battery life, and when you are cycling in the middle of nowhere, the last thing you want is to be relying on a powerhorse that is about to run out of battery because it automatically updated your twitter feed for the past 3 hours.

Again because I'm familliar with nokias, you can if you like install the sporttracker which will track your route - it is either mentioned in this thread or in a similar one, but I find it useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

nereid wrote: »
    Even better, don't get an expensive smartphone, get any (for example) Nokia that has GPS built in - I use an n82 or 6110, and power up the gps if you want to/when you are lost. I intend to relegate one of these to exactly this task when I upgrade to a decent smartphone :)

The downside of smartphones is battery life, and when you are cycling in the middle of nowhere, the last thing you want is to be relying on a powerhorse that is about to run out of battery because it automatically updated your twitter feed for the past 3 hours.

Again because I'm familliar with nokias, you can if you like install the sporttracker which will track your route - it is either mentioned in this thread or in a similar one, but I find it useful.

i use an nokia e66 +sportstracker (as people are prob fed up of hearing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Lumen wrote: »

Is the dynamic route mapping that crap? Booking a holiday to Italy and we will be renting a car. Seems the perfect excuse to buy a 705.

• Advertisement

lukester wrote: »
    Is the dynamic route mapping that crap? Booking a holiday to Italy and we will be renting a car. Seems the perfect excuse to buy a 705.

The problem is that whilst all the data is there on the device, the CPU is too weedy (presumably for battery life reasons) to recalculate in good time. So when you're off the route and passing junctions every 100m, the 705 goes into an endless frozen loop of "Caculating....." during which time you can't read the map. When it gets to 100% it sits there frozen for another couple of junctions until starting the process again.

The lack of "via" function is equally painful. If you decide to take a slightly different road it will go into "Calculating...." for a few kms until the route you're on is shorter.

There should be a prompt like "Do you have any intention of doing a u-turn?", and if you answer no it will re-route accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Meh..sounds like an Edge 500 and a dedicated car sat-nav make more sense so.

The Edge is very good for touring on a bike. I've used it touring in Ireland, France, Spain and Italy and it has routed me from start to destination. No, it is not as good as a car GPS for an overview of where you want to go and lacks via points, but it is also tiny in comparison and has 15 hours battery life.

The dynamic routing is not great but it is I think usable. You have to sanity check it and carry a map to get an overview. You can IMO carry a much more general map than you would otherwise, when touring in Ireland I just carry a tiny map that covers the entire island. It can work better if you program it to each intermediate point from where you want to go on the map, rather than the ultimate destination. It is better as Lumen says if you plan the routes in advance on a PC but the dynamic routing is by no means useless.

I would NOT buy the 705 thinking you would use it as a car GPS (it is usable in a pinch but not half as good as a proper car GPS) but it is the best thing out there IMO for a bike (and I have tried using a car GPS on the bike before I got a 705... difficult to attach, too big and ran out of battery very quickly.)

lukester wrote: »

Don't do what I did and rely on a 705 to get you from a small French town to Lyon airport in a car in time to catch a flight. While it was very picturesque to drive down country lanes through fields of sunflowers, this did nothing to alleviate the rising tension in the car, and was of zero comfort on having missed checkin by minutes and having to rebook flights.

That said, we should probably have unchecked the 'Avoid major highways' option in the settings.

And, as Lumen alluded to, there were numerous teethgrinding 'Calculating...' moments as we carried on endlessly down what the garmin considered a 'wrong turn'.

Still love it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm now thinking of continuing to use my iPhone 3GS (which does what I want as long as it has power) along with an external battery pack, perhaps one of these.

I'll keep it all together in one of Ortlieb's handlebar bags.

I like the idea of having a small handlebar bag anyway. A couple of us cycled from Dublin to Louisburg in Mayo last Friday/ Saturday (c.350km) and I didn't take a single photo, mainly because my camera/ phone was tucked away in a back pocket underneath my waterproof.

Does anyone have advice regarding handlebar bags? I know they're not very Euro, but I guess I'm not either :)

DFD*

*DanglingFrontDistributor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It must be time for an Edge 705 replacement. It's been out long enough.

Digifit is interesting for the data side, although since the iPhone can't multitask it wouldn't be possible to use that concurrently with mapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Hijacking another thread here, but got no joy on the last one !... looking for a recommendation for a cycle computer that gives gradient and cadence and all the usuals
    Thanks

Hijacking another thread here, but got no joy on the last one !... looking for a recommendation for a cycle computer that gives gradient and cadence and all the usuals
    Thanks
    Garmin 705- best cycle computer around the €400 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

I dont need maps, HR, power and downloadability for PC analysis.
    Anything else ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement